Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"The Memory Stick may have changed. Would you like to keep using this Memory Stick?"
05-30-2023, 03:35 PM
"The Memory Stick may have changed. Would you like to keep using this Memory Stick?"
Hello, I'm a speedrunner of the PSP game Crush. I used to do all of my runs on PPSSPP back in November 2020, and it worked perfectly fine.

However, at some point between then and January 2021, whenever i complete a level, the game will give me a popup that says, "The Memory Stick may have changed. Would you like to continue using this Memory Stick?" and then you're given a yes/no answer prompt. Answering "No" Will bring you to another branch that says "Warning! Progress will not be saved. Do you wish to continue?" selecting yes will let you continue without saving, and pressing no will reset the branch back to the first message. If you select Yes at the first message, you'll be given a save prompt.

While the game is still fully playable, this affects the speedrun of the game, adding 6 and a half seconds to the end of basically every level, and i cannot find a way to get rid of the message. It's been driving me crazy, and I need to know if there's some solution to this that I don't know about this.

I have tried fiddling with every option in PPSSPP to get this message to stop appearing, but nothing worked. I even tried downloading the older version of PPSSPP that i did my old runs on, and that didn't even work. I tried installing PPSSPP on another computer and it still gave me the message, i asked some friends to try it on their computers and it still happened, I seriously don't know what to do at this point. I even asked the PPSSPP Discord, and they didn't know what to do, so as a last resort for answers I'm posting about it here.

If you have a way to fix this, or even an explanation as for why it may happen, please let me know.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2023, 04:42 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2023 04:44 AM by [Unknown].)
RE: "The Memory Stick may have changed. Would you like to keep using this Memory Stick?"
This was an intentional feature for actual PSPs, because you could unplug the memory stick mid game and switch it out. Especially early in the console's lifecycle, sometimes people had really small memory sticks and would switch between them to be able to save across multiple games.

That's great, but why's it happening to you? Well, it's because of how the game tries to detect this situation. There's not really a way to tell if it's a different memory stick, so most games that do this compare the previous save data or timestamps.

I'm not sure what Crush specifically does, but usually this happens when you do the following:
* Create savedata (i.e. autosave)
* Create a save state
* Update the savedata (i.e. autosave)
* Load a save state from before that savedata was created

I like to call this the "marty mcfly problem": https://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php...#pid106844

Save states don't revert savedata on load, but usually this message would go away after you save over it once, until you cross the "savedata/save state barrier" again. Maybe there's a separate bug here - could your region have changed daylight savings time since it was last working? Maybe there's a bug and it's just comparing timestamps.

Have you started a fresh run, or are all of these runs based on save states from the same time? That is, were the friends running it from scratch?

-[Unknown]
06-01-2023, 12:48 PM
RE: "The Memory Stick may have changed. Would you like to keep using this Memory Stick?"
the friends were running it from scratch, yes. would deleting all my save states and save data fix the problem? also the dst thing might be a good theory, what would i change to get that to work? thank you for taking the time to reply to this by the way!! it means a lot to me :]
06-08-2023, 11:47 PM
Well, if it's happening from scratch for your friends, I would imagine deleting savedata and save states wouldn't help. That said, if you download the latest git build:
https://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

And then put it in a brand new folder on your desktop, that should be completely clean (it's "portable" in this way.) If it happens right away there, I think it has to be a bug.

A way to test the DST theory would be to change your system time (i.e. in Windows time settings) to a date where DST is not active (future or past.) Then start fresh with no existing save data or save states. If it doesn't happen, that would make it seem pretty sure it's DST related.

-[Unknown]