Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Features
06-25-2023, 12:46 PM
Features
These are features Id like to see added to PPSSPP.
I know Im not the only one Ive seen a lot of people talk about how theyd like PPSSPP to have the bios , firmware , the cross media bar (XMB) interface , the boot screen of the real PSP?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2023, 03:13 PM
RE: Features
PPSSPP is open source, you can freely fork it and create those features yourself.

Bear in mind that PPSSPP is high level emulator and features you want are requiring low level emulator as such they will not be an easy addition. You'd have to redesign the whole project, make it emulate hardware itself not software as it does now, it also means it will likely be much slower and much less suitable for mobile hardware, possibly even limited to gaming desktops.

And no you aren't the only person who would like such features, but also you will join the rest of those people who aren't able to do what you'd have to do to make it reality as PPSSPP as a project went in completely different direction from the start and 99,9% of it's userbase that understand cons and pros of both ways wouldn't even want it to be any different.

PPSSPP exists to enhance and play PSP games even on a reasonably low level hardware. If you'd like a more vanilla-like experience that requires much more powerful desktop PC you can try jpcsp or just buy real PSP as that's the only way for purists that aren't into games and want full experience with all it's outdated stuff.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
06-25-2023, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2023 11:07 PM by Astuma.)
I edited this after I already posted it because when a person replied to a question of mine on PCSX2 they included Mobo , GPU , Ram so Im including mine in this post.
I knew where to find my
Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 CPU and Ram
I had to search what is my MOBO and GPU to find out what they are.
From what I see when it comes to intel pcs I saw that theres i3 , i5 , i5 , i7 , i9 and the current generation is 13.
I have a Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 CPU laptop
Mobo: Asustek Computer INC X712A
GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics
Ram: 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
So yes I guess I will be sticking with just playing games on PPSSPP than.
Since Im guessing I have between a low to a mid end device.
Can anyone tell me if I have a low or mid end device?
I didnt know that bios , firmware , interface , boot screen requires high end devices.
As emulators that emulate the NES , SNES , N64 , Game Cube , Sega Genesis , Sega Saturn , Sega Dreamcast , PS1 , PS2 , Game Boy family , DS , 3Ds of those that have and use bios , firmware , interface , boot screen work on my pc laptop without being slow.
Ive seen online that the PS3 emulator uses the bios , firmware , interface , boot screen.
I haven downloaded or tried the PS3 emulator.
I didnt download the PS Vita emulator because not that many games are compatible.
I downloaded the original Xbox , Xbox 360 , Wii U emulators but I never got around to testing them out though.
I may want bios , firmware , interface , boot screen but Id rather be able to affordably play games.
My favorite feature is that I can play in full screen.
My question is if other consoles and hand held emulators can use bios , firmware , interface , boot screen without requiring high end devices why cant a PSP emulator do it without a high end device.
I was taught theres no such as a stupid question , no one knows everything , you dont learn unless you ask.
06-25-2023, 11:34 PM
There's two kind of emulation, low level which emulates hardware and high level emulators which translate whatever games needs to run on a modern operating system.

Most of the time the reason to emulate hardware is an attempt of a more accurate emulation as such ends up much heavier, but as a side effect both can and requires official software.

Things like BIOS or firmware are often required due to encryption, other security reasons or some overlay features that can be accessible from the game and as such required by some high level emulators as well, but that does not mean they actually can run operating system of the console and give you full native experience, they don't, outside of few bad cases from the distant past where it improved compatibility there's no advantage to that either, quite the opposite it brings legal issues and reduces user experience.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
06-26-2023, 03:27 AM
Yes I know bios and firmware = copyright legal issues.
Ive always saw online that people arent allowed to dump bios , firmware , roms online.
People arent allowed to download bios , firmware , roms online.
People arent allowed to proved links to bios , firmware , roms online.
People arent allowed to ask for bios , firmware , roms online.
Ive seen online that people are legally allowed to dump their own bios , firmware , roms from their own consoles and games to emulators that they are using as long as they dont dump them online , provide links to them , share them.
Ive seen this on websites , posts.
You mentioned that it means it will likely be much slower and much less suitable.
The PSP is from the 7th generation starting in 2004.
7th generation 2004/2005 isnt modern operating systems is it?
The PSP 1000 came out in 2005.
The PSP 2000 came out in 2007.
The PSP came out in 2008.
The wiki mentions -
On its release , a problem with interlacing when objects were in motion on the PSP-3000 screen was noticed.
Sony announced this problem would not be fixed.
Thats Greek to me.
My question is if other consoles and hand held emulators that use bios , firmware , interface , boot screen without requiring high end devices why cant a PSP emulator do it without requiring a high end device?
I know a little about emulation vs simulation and LLE vs HLE.
Thanks I appreciate your time , patience and you replying.
06-26-2023, 05:35 AM
Practically no emulator uses full firmware of a modern console, what they use is what they have to use. PPSSPP doesn't have to use any part of firmware other than fonts which some games use. It's not designed to work with firmware and never will be, games see PPSSPP as it was firmware already and nobody cares to even fake PSP interface since it doesn't fit modern devices PPSSPP runs on.

The only reason for PSP emulator to need to "run PSP firmware" would be if it was emulating hardware itself and that would certainly be much more demanding than currently where PPSSPP runs on any toster or potato.

06-26-2023, 09:51 PM
Yeah I just recently kinda learned a bit about fonts by just running across it.
So I was like hmmm whats fonts and typed what is fonts in the big search bar.
Doing so I ran across people saying that the default PPSSPP font causes issues with some games.
So I did some more research on fonts and also on the default PPSSPP font causing issues with some games.
When I saw that fonts dont change the look of the PPSSPP screen I did some more research on what they are and what they do.
When I dont know what something is I either use the big search bar or I check youtube or I ask in a post on forums or all 3.
I didnt know that PSP being a 7th generation hand held was considered modern when we are in the 9th generation.
I always considered any console or hand held thats 2 or more generations older retro.
It was nice learning somethings from you.
All though Im a nostalgic person into authenticy I agree with you Id rather be able play games without them being slow.
When setting up emulators I choose auto/automatic if its available , recommended if its available.
If a setting says may improve I choose it.
If I dont know what a setting and its options are I look them up and if that doesnt help I leave it set on its default option and there are plenty of those.
Again I thank you for your time and patience I appreciate it.