Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Windows OK - Android can't load games - Any suggestions?
09-07-2022, 03:40 AM
Windows OK - Android can't load games - Any suggestions?
I have PPSSPP installed on my Windows PC where it works great.
However, my phone (S22 Ultra if it matters) installation is not able to load a game.

PPSSPP on the phone is the current version from the play store.
The windows version is 1.13.1.

I've tried 3 ISO files so far, all of which work on my windows install.
On the phone, the icons for all the games show up as a gray box with a white question mark in them. I get a message saying "Could not load game. Not a valid disc image." when I try to play the game.

I can copy the ISO files back to my PC where they work again (separate folder from the originals to make sure I was testing the right ones).

Out of curiosity, I tried a couple games from the homebrew store (Cave Story & Breakout) both give the message "Could not load game. Failed to read identification bytes:". Not concerned about homebrew functionality, just mentioning it in case it is related.

Any ideas or suggestions, or further information needed to make a suggestion?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2022, 04:36 AM
RE: Windows OK - Android can't load games - Any suggestions?
I would try changing the memory stick directory in settings.

I think it might've lost permission to the folder you're keeping the ISOs in. Android is more specific about this these days and tries to revoke permissions more aggressively for apps you don't use for a while.

-[Unknown]
09-07-2022, 05:04 AM
Tried that, no change in behavior though.
09-07-2022, 09:48 PM
Update: My guess is this is related to the files and media permission. PPSSPP only allows this to be set to don't allow or media only. I tried 2 other emulators allowing that permission to be set to allow management of all files and they both worked.

So it appears the combo of Android 12, permission settings that have different options depending on the app, and whatever special sauce Samsung has in the S22 ultra made PPSSPP unusable.

At least that's my current guess based on little technical knowledge and differences I've noticed between the 3 very similar apps. If anyone knows different, please enlighten me.