Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Star Ocean Second Evolution - Need help with floating battle sprites.
07-30-2022, 03:32 AM
Star Ocean Second Evolution - Need help with floating battle sprites.
Hello,

Having problems where the battle screen sprites are misaligned with the battlefield. Everything is positioned above where their relative placement should be. In other words the battle sprites are not anchored to the background, but they still maintain their location within the battle grid.

Strike effects, battle damage numbers and spells also target this empty space below where the sprites are showing up but it is where the game seems to think the enemies should be even though they are above that position. The hitboxes for melee attacks require getting close to the sprite visually while spells target the empty space.

I've played around with many of the options and still haven't come up with a fix.

I'm using the Direct 3D11 backend with intel integrated graphics but for some reason PPSSPP won't keep the settings if I change to a NVIDIA GeForce 740M card. I have the emulator sitting in a folder on my desktop and I can change and save all the other settings just fine.
What else do you need? I run an i5 processor. Shouldn't matter though right?

If anyone has a fix or work around for either of these issues that'd be great.

There was a second problem where the screen rotation in the overworld map would not rotate around the character but around a certain point bottom of screen and take the character sprite with them as it rotated instead. The camera would also collide with scenery getting me "stuck" and forcing me to use the weird glitch to even progress. Turning off Hardware Transform fixed this issue and reset the position of the character in the overworld to where it should have been but after a battle found it hadn't fixed the other problem.

Don't get me wrong, the game is certainly "playable" but I didn't see too many people complaining about this in the now long dead side thread for this game so I wonder what's up.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2022, 11:22 AM
RE: Star Ocean Second Evolution - Need help with floating battle sprites.
Hey, I just started playing Second Evolution today as well and was having the same issue, so I made an account just to help out here.

I downloaded the 1.0.1 version of PPSSPP and this issue isn’t occurring in that version. I don’t know what the latest version of PPSSPP is that doesn’t have this issue, but I’m just going to stick with 1.0.1 unless somebody has a better solution.

Have fun!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply