Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
(Guide) How to Install Texture Packs on PPSSPP
07-05-2022, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2023 06:13 AM by MetalTxus.)
Information (Guide) How to Install Texture Packs on PPSSPP
Since there is not an official guide on how to install texture packs and people have trouble with it, reasonably so, I decided to step in and try to make one myself.
But before getting into it, there are some things to consider.

Depending on your OS and installation, texture paths will be different

I only quite recently came across this. This is pure speculation, but I suspect downloading the ZIP vs downloading the installer result in different installation paths (if anyone is able to confirm, please do so).
Moderator Note: Yes, that is indeed the case.

The possible texture paths are:
  • PPSSPP/memstick/PSP/TEXTURES (if you download the ZIP)
  • Documents/PPSSPP/PSP/TEXTURES (if you use the installer)
[Image: JrA1zkv.png]

A texture pack is made for a specific game build

This means that the texture pack is only assured to work for that particular version. The pack might not work for different revisions, even of the same region.
In other words, beta versions of a game and/or different updates for the same game might be incompatible with the texture pack. In my experience, the installed DLC might also introduce incompatibilities.

Here are some real world examples, using my own texture packs as reference:
  • My Disgaea PSP HD texture pack (ULUS10308) would likely not work with the PAL version (ULES-00999) of the game
  • My Disgaea 2 PSP HD texture pack (ULUS10461) used to not 100% work unless you had all DLC installed, but that was fixed in newer versions

How to find out game serial numbers

The easiest way to do so is by right clicking a game in PPSSPP's game list. The code will be displayed right next to the game's name.

[Image: arCn2vW.png]

OK, now finally:
How to Install Texture Packs with PPSSPP

One time setup

In order to install texture packs you first need to enable texture load. To do so, make sure to enable option
Settings > Tools > Developer Tools > Replace Textures
  • If that did not work and/or you are experiencing performance issues, make sure you did not enable "Save New Textures" by mistake.

Individual pack installation

Once texture load is enabled, you simply will need to extract texture packs to the corresponding folder (as previously mentioned).
There are two things to make sure of:
  • The containing folder name must be exactly the game's serial number (e.g.: TEXTURES/ULUS10308)
  • The folder you need to place under TEXTURES is the folder than contains a textures.ini file. If the pack you downloaded has nested folders, make sure to copy the right one.

PS: feel free to reply/message me with anything I might have missed or written incorrectly and I will review it as soon as possible.
Since I barely visit this forum, you should rather contact me on Discord (Txus#0986).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2023, 05:22 AM
RE: (Guide) How to Install Texture Packs on PPSSPP
Hmm I finally got it to let me load the texture patch but it doesn't work and now it won't let me do it any more. It is grayed out whether the "replace texture" box is checked or not.
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2024, 03:53 AM
RE: (Guide) How to Install Texture Packs on PPSSPP
My story is a bit complicated lol, copy pasting from reddit where i haven't received a reply yet: I have issues with yugioh tagforce 6 on ppsspp, in details i decided to reinstall everything (i did this process for the first time yesterday, then uninstalled both ppsspp and deleted the ygo game, but right after doing that i regret it so here we are) so basically the game patched in english and the HD textures, but for some reasons i can't for the life of me manage to make the HD textures package work this time, i followed instructions putting the whole package into ppsspp's textures section of course as i did the first time, when i did this process yesterday it took me a bit because i suck at things like this but in the end it worked, well now it doesn't...

One thing i noticed is that speaking of the document link instead of having C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\Documents\PPSSPP\PSP\TEXTURES\ i have the "PPSSPP" part repeated twice and i also have onedrive in the midde of the link now, idk what to do anymore i've spent hours trying to make it work, help...
tldr first time i did this it worked but now i can't seem to make it work anymore, anyone have ideas?
Find all posts by this user