Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Ridge Racer 2
05-08-2013, 06:28 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 09:28 AM by Donel.)
RE: Ridge Racer 2
(05-08-2013 12:25 AM)isamu Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 11:24 PM)Donel Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 10:09 AM)isamu Wrote:  Wow that is very interesting news Donel. Interesting how this bug was once fixed then reverted. If you can find that pull request that resulted in the bug and can proceed to submit it to the coders so they can fix it, that will be PHENOMENAL!!!! Big Grin

Out of curiosity Donel, when you say fixed, just how fixed was it? Was it fixed to the point where you couldn't see any of the objects through anything including the road, walls, and mountains? Or was it just kinda fixed, where you could still see a few things but it was minimal?

It was really fixed, nothing could be seen through objetcs, not even the lights.

I wasn't able to find the pull request =/. I will try again now and post here if I succeed.

Yes please do! We're rootin' for ya brother!!! Big Grin

I think I've finally found it Big Grin

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/pull/799

That is the pull request that made this problem come back. It was really hard to find. When I found the pull request, I searched on google and used two builds on EmuCR to test. One is from right before the pull request and the other is from right after it.

Before the pull request: http://www.emucr.com/2013/02/ppsspp-git-20130225.html

After the pull request: http://www.emucr.com/2013/02/ppsspp-git-20130226.html

Most of the provided EmuCR links are dead, so I uploaded both builds in mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?z1vrs7bn8n6sj59

I will let the developers know, opening a new issue on github.

EDIT: https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/1712

EDIT 2: Great news, guys, the problem was fixed. Both Ridge Racer 2 and Moto GP are now free of that glitch =D
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2013, 09:29 AM
WHAT????????????!!!!!!!!

*faints*
05-08-2013, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 12:24 PM by solarmystic.)
The Ridge Racer 2 issue is indeed fixed, but there may be a new issue with the game. (unless this has been already documented earlier in the thread. In which case I apologize for wasting your time.)

With the latest git revision (that incorporates the fix, v0.7.6-466-g17e084d), leaving Buffered Rendering ON causes visual artifacts on the entire screen:-

http://i.minus.com/iWwXSahJST98r.jpg

Switching it OFF solves the issue:-

http://i4.minus.com/ibnZgifWJtsj1l.jpg

I wonder if anyone else can replicate this issue on Windows in the latest git (as of this post)

The same issue also occurs in Ridge Racer 1 (US).

EDIT:- Don't mind me lol, it seems like the issue has been around for quite sometime. Just tested it on some older git builds and it was present in them too.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
05-08-2013, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 01:41 PM by KingpinZero.)
New builds *seems* breaks the game again (at least based on what i read on commits).
For those that need a RR2 build that works ok, its the one named v0.7.6-466-g17e084d

[Gaming PC]: i7 3770k @ 4,6ghz - 8gb DDR3 1600 G.Skill Ares - GTX 780Ti AMP! - Windows 8 pro x64 - Asus VG248QE
[Mobile]: Iphone 5s 16gb Space Grey - Galaxy S3 GT-i9305 LTE
[Android]: Nvidia Shield
[Consoles]: PsVita - Crisis Core Limited Edition PSP - PS4
05-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Atleast replay AI got fixed. That bug was hilarious.
I'm pretty possitive this visual bug with Buffered Rendering is directly related to this:
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=2551

This bug really breaks my nerves (lol), It affects so many games.
05-08-2013, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 03:41 PM by Combone.)
Bug again Huh

Ver. 0.7.6-467

[Image: bugrr2.png]

::: http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9127/bugrr2.png :::
05-08-2013, 09:33 PM
(05-08-2013 12:13 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  The Ridge Racer 2 issue is indeed fixed, but there may be a new issue with the game. (unless this has been already documented earlier in the thread. In which case I apologize for wasting your time.)

With the latest git revision (that incorporates the fix, v0.7.6-466-g17e084d), leaving Buffered Rendering ON causes visual artifacts on the entire screen:-

http://i.minus.com/iWwXSahJST98r.jpg

Switching it OFF solves the issue:-

http://i4.minus.com/ibnZgifWJtsj1l.jpg

I wonder if anyone else can replicate this issue on Windows in the latest git (as of this post)

The same issue also occurs in Ridge Racer 1 (US).

EDIT:- Don't mind me lol, it seems like the issue has been around for quite sometime. Just tested it on some older git builds and it was present in them too.

This is a very old bug, buffered rendering still has a lot of glitches in various games.
05-08-2013, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 10:09 PM by solarmystic.)
(05-08-2013 09:33 PM)Donel Wrote:  This is a very old bug, buffered rendering still has a lot of glitches in various games.

Yeah, I realized that after testing with older builds too.

Just for the heck of it, I decided to try it to see if I could replicate the issue with the 0.76 official release on the main ppsspp webpage that was released sometime ago.

The issue is still there, but surprisingly it is a lot less severe in that older release (which is 0.7.6-15-g9ad1c08). You'll notice that the those artifacts are a lot less a number and the game is a lot more visible and definitely more playable compared to the newer builds which are unplayable with buffered rendering ON.

Attached screenshot for 0.76 official to show difference.

Okay, this is interesting.

I found out that enabling 2xSSAA(!) actually makes those visual artifacts mostly disappear when buffered rendering is enabled. Which is why the official 0.76 release screenshot that I posted was relatively free of them (as you noticed I had 2xSSAA enabled in the drop down menu).

Here's another attached screenshot showing the same game on the same emulator version with buffered rendering ON but this time, with 2xSSAA OFF.

Wonder what 2xSSAA actually does to help eliminate the issue.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
05-08-2013, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 11:00 PM by Donel.)
Yep, I remember SSAA helping on this issue. 2x SSAA changes the image resolution, changing the buffer information, so that's probably why it makes the issue less severe.

A negative point of playing with buffered rendering off, aside from some graphical effects lost, is that SSAA doesn't work, so you will have more jaggies. I hope buffered rendering gets mproved soon, but they're focusing in other things, like ffmpeg integration, so it may take a while.

(05-08-2013 01:36 PM)KingpinZero Wrote:  New builds *seems* breaks the game again (at least based on what i read on commits).
For those that need a RR2 build that works ok, its the one named v0.7.6-466-g17e084d

I've just tested version v0.7.6-483 and it's working fine, no problems introduced and the fix is still working. The fix was not reverted.
05-09-2013, 05:25 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2013 09:46 PM by isamu.)
OK guys I've just tested the latest build. Donel....it important that you know that I have absolutely NO WORDS to describe my gratitude towards you for helping find and fix this see through glitch! Seriously YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sending my sister over to you so she can have your babies!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude.....thank you SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!! The disappearance of this nasty see through glitch is a GAME CHANGER!!!!!! I cannot begin to tell you how much it distracted me seeing those cars and palm trees through the road and mountains! Ugh....begone you nasty glitch!

You guys also mentioned the fix broke other things. I don't really anything that it's negatively impacted other than one small thing that wasn't there before, and that is when you hit the nitrous button it produces a few thin vertical lines on the screen a small vertical line without the nitrous can also be seen on the bottom right hand side near the speedometer. The screen also goes a bit dark when you hit the NOS. Other than that it's basically fine. Buffered rendering is of course not functioning proper as mentioned above so that's no surprise.

In all honestly whatever graphical issues are left are nowhere NEAR as bothersome and annoying as that see palm trees/cars though walls glitch. That was just the bane of my existence! Now that it's cleared up due to our good man Donel, we're golden!

Donel if you were in LA I'd buy you a drink and take you to the nearest tittie bar, bro! Thanks again Cool
05-09-2013, 06:11 AM
(05-08-2013 10:39 PM)Donel Wrote:  Yep, I remember SSAA helping on this issue. 2x SSAA changes the image resolution, changing the buffer information, so that's probably why it makes the issue less severe.

A negative point of playing with buffered rendering off, aside from some graphical effects lost, is that SSAA doesn't work, so you will have more jaggies. I hope buffered rendering gets mproved soon, but they're focusing in other things, like ffmpeg integration, so it may take a while.

(05-08-2013 01:36 PM)KingpinZero Wrote:  New builds *seems* breaks the game again (at least based on what i read on commits).

I've just tested version v0.7.6-483 and it's working fine, no problems introduced and the fix is still working. The fix was not reverted.

I was testing revisions released afterward the fix, some of them had this issue althought it was fixed in 466. But yeah, the newer one isnt affected, it runs perfectly smooth Smile

But this fix breaks Saint Seiya Omega characters, which now are absent and not rendered.

[Gaming PC]: i7 3770k @ 4,6ghz - 8gb DDR3 1600 G.Skill Ares - GTX 780Ti AMP! - Windows 8 pro x64 - Asus VG248QE
[Mobile]: Iphone 5s 16gb Space Grey - Galaxy S3 GT-i9305 LTE
[Android]: Nvidia Shield
[Consoles]: PsVita - Crisis Core Limited Edition PSP - PS4
05-09-2013, 11:39 AM
(05-09-2013 05:25 AM)isamu Wrote:  OK guys I've just tested the latest build. Donel....it important that you know that I have absolutely NO WORDS to describe my gratitude towards you for helping find and fix this see through glitch! Seriously YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sending my sister over to you so she can have your babies!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude.....thank you SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!! The disappearance of this nasty see through glitch is a GAME CHANGER!!!!!! I cannot begin to tell you how much it distracted me seeing those cars and palm trees through the road and mountains! Ugh....begone you nasty glitch!

You guys also mentioned the fix broke other things. I don't really anything that it's negatively impacted other than one small thing that wasn't there before, and that is when you hit the nitrous button it produces a few thin vertical lines on the screen a small vertical line without the nitrous can also be seen on the bottom right hand side near the speedometer. The screen also goes a bit dark when you hit the NOS. Other than that it's basically fine. Buffered rendering is of course not functioning proper as mentioned above so that's no surprise.

In all honestly whatever graphical issues are left are nowhere NEAR as bothersome and annoying as that see palm trees/cars though walls glitch. That was just the bane of my existence! Now that it's cleared up due to our good man Donel, we're golden!

Donel if you were in LA I'd buy you a drink and take you to the nearest tittie bar, bro! Thanks again Cool

Your post made me laught a lot, thank you XD

I would love to go to LA, but I'm from Brazil Smile
05-10-2013, 07:00 AM
So, after spending another two hours enjoying Ridge Racers 2 PSP and feeling overwhelmed with joy and excitement at the moment, I'd like to share some sincere comments with you about my history with this game, because man, never in a million years would I have thought I'd be playing this version of Ridge Racers 2 PSP on my PC with a wheel and on the big screen.

When Namco first announced this game back in 1993 I believe, I read all about it, looked at the screenshots and watched some vids. I eventually realized this was going to be a bittersweet game for me, filling my heart with both excitement and sadness. Excitement because from what I read of the game at the time, I knew this was going to turn out to be the greatest Ridge Racer game to date. I mean C'mon...damn near ALL the tracks from all the Ridge Racer games, a new nos system and a game that runs at 60 frames per second. What else can a die hard Ridge Racer fan ask for? It was heaven!!!!

On the other hand, all of this excitement was basically ruined by deep sadness. Why? Because Namco took it upon themselves to make this awesome game *ONLY* for a handheld system, and never even bothered to port it to the PS3. To me, that was absolutely CRIMINAL and was a bone headed decision. And yes, for the record, as much as I LOVE Ridge Racer 7 to death, to me this is the superior game still warranted a PS3 home port.

I am someone that grew up playing, respecting and adoring Japanese arcade racing games. Ridge Racer was the first arcade racing game series I took seriously and spent a significant amount of time with. I played RRR a lot in the arcade and spent a RIDICULOUS and ABSURD amount of time playing Rage Racer for PS1! I went out and bought my first steering wheel for home use for the PS1, and each Ridge Racer game I ever played was with a steering wheel, pedals and a gear shifter.

I have never EVER wanted to play a Ridge Racer game without those three driving instruments! To me, to achieve a true arcade racing experience, one must recreate the arcade cabinet environment. This requires obtaining the same driving instruments you'd find in a real arcade....steering wheel, pedals and stick shifter. So given that type of background, I loathed the thought of playing a ridiculously AWESOME version of Ridge Racer on a measly PSP handheld. To me, doing so was nothing short of blasphemy. This was the sadness I am referring to. I was quite bummed out and angry so what did I do, I simply boycotted the game. I didn't buy it at all.

Feeling further and further like any possibility of a home port was slipping away, I eventually let out a big sigh, caved in and about 3 years ago finally decided to purchase a PSP and Ridge Racers 2 Asian version.

Since then I have completed the game three times and I'm now on my fourth run on the little handheld. I have sunk so many hours into this game it's almost embarrassing. However, there has never been a time that I have fired it up on my PSP and not thought to myself "Damn....I love this game so much but it still pains me to play it on such a small screen and with a tiny little analog knob. What I wouldn't give to be able to play it on the big screen with enhanced graphics and on a wheel, pedals and shifter. Arrggh....DAMN you Namco!!!!"

Well, fast forward a few years later to 2013 and here we are....a PSP emulator. And a DAMN GOOD one at that! My dreams have come true thanks to Henrik and the rest of the PPSSPP coders! I can finally FINALLY enjoy playing what I consider the GREATEST Ridge Racer game ever made by a country mile, the way I've always wanted to...the *right* way....with a wheel, pedals and shifter on a large projection screen, just like in the arcade on a deluxe 50" cabinet.

They say the internet can be a terrible place with horrible and evil people. Well I'm here to say it can also be a FANTASTIC place with talented and generous people, who make other people's dreams come true and ask absolutely nothing in return. Henrik and the other developers and programmers behind PPSSPP are such people. My hat is off to them, for they have brightened my day with the work they've done with this emulator. I raise my glass to you guys! Thank you so very much and I will spending many more days and game sessions playing Ridge Racers 2 PSP....ON THE BIG SCREEN WITH A WHEEL!!!! Big Grin
05-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Cheers Smile
05-11-2013, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 10:29 AM by Necriss.)
Latest build running very well on android, mostly bug free now with the exception of black rear view mirror and dimming under nitrous boost (texture overlay not rendered correctly?) 40-60fps @ 1.7ghz 1080p. Great work, look forward to further improvements (if possible).