Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the better version ? SDL or QT ?
10-29-2021, 10:07 PM
What is the better version ? SDL or QT ?
I have installed PPSSPP 1.12.2 using a build in Ubuntu PPA.
The OS is Linux Ubuntu 20.04.3 GPU GT 640 with Vulkan driver.
Thus was downloaed 3 PPSSPP files
ppsspp
ppsspp-sdl
ppsspp-qt
being that only one will be installed. Installing one replace another.

About the files above :
All PPSSPP files has the same performance ?
What feature does the ppsspp-sdl ?
ppsspp-qt is exaclty the file ppsspp using QT ?

I want understand what is the correct to install doing better performance not having issues in controls and sound.

Thanks for reply.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2021, 05:06 AM
RE: What is the better version ? SDL or QT ?
Qt has some native menus, but only supports OpenGL. It also has better font support (most important for certain non-Latin languages.)

SDL is better maintained and supports Vulkan. All options are still available in settings, just not via native menus.

Both use SDL for audio and controls, so those shouldn't be any different.

Performance should be roughly the same but may be better on SDL due to being able to use Vulkan.

-[Unknown]
10-30-2021, 07:42 AM
Thanks for your reply.

"Qt has some native menus, but only supports OpenGL. It also has better font support (most important for certain non-Latin languages.)"
That better font support is only to GUI and not ingame ?

What feature does native menus ?

3 files are downloaed
ppsspp
ppsspp-sdl
ppsspp-qt
only one will be installed

About SDL and QT files was explained.
If installing file ppsspp not will be installed the others sdl and qt.
That file has better features or is exactly the same performance than SDL or QT ?
11-01-2021, 01:11 AM
I don't know anything about that ppa itself, sorry. It's maintained by someone in the community, I'm a regular contributor to the main PPSSPP repo. So I can tell you about the code itself, but not that ppa.

There's no other Linux port, it's either SDL or Qt. Maybe "ppsspp" actually means both or something?

Native menus means like the "File", "Help", etc. menus native apps have on Linux. The Qt version has similar menus to the Windows version, which means you can change some options directly in the native menu.

All platforms (Windows, Android, Linux/Qt, Linux/SDL, etc.) have the options accessible within PPSSPP, and there's nothing exclusive to the native menus.

But Qt also offers a native file browser dialog to select files or folders, where in SDL you just have to browse to the folder. Basically, the Qt build has better integration with native KDE or GNOME features, which the SDL build doesn't. But outside the better integration, all the emulation code is exactly the same.

Again, the only difference when a game is actually playing is no one has done the work to enable Vulkan on Qt. It's possible, just no one has been interested enough to contribute to it and get it working.

-[Unknown]