Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rendering backend question
10-08-2021, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2021 11:30 AM by Shady Guy Jose.)
Rendering backend question
Hi! I'm sorry if this has been asked to death, as I assume it's a common question, but I can only find 8-year old information.

I use PPSSPP on two devices. Mainly my phone (OnePlus 9 Pro, Snapdragon 888, running at 1440p120) but occasionally on my desktop PC (i7-4770K OCd to 4.4 GHz, 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM, newly added RTX 3080 GPU, on a 2160p60 display).

I'd like to know what the differences between rendering backends currently are. On Android, I assume Vulkan is outright better, since OpenGL driver support has always been spotty, even if Adreno GPUs are the "least horrible" of the bunch, at least until AMD on Exynos comes out. However, on Windows, I see that D3D9 and 11 are available, and I assume OpenGL works better than on Android, at least with an nVidia GPU, so I'm a bit lost. I've read that D3D didn't support post-processing shaders, but it was old info. Is there anything that I can read up on, or does anyone have some insight into this? Whatever default you guys recommend, are there any games that I should watch out for and choose a different backend specifically for them? I'm just trying to figure out what to use.

Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2021, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2021 06:40 PM by Henrik.)
RE: Rendering backend question
Vulkan drivers are actually even more spotty than OpenGL drivers on some Android devices, especially older ones, so sometimes OpenGL is the best option. I'd of course always recommend Vulkan whenever it works the same or better, which is the case on most recent devices.

On Windows I'd also go with Vulkan by default, it is the main target these days and and it'll get newer features first or exclusively (like texture upscale shaders). D3D9 is for really old Intel laptops mainly, and D3D11 is there just for the UWP port, but why not also allow it as a choice in the regular build if it for some reason works better on somebody's GPU. Not much reason to use OpenGL on Windows, but it's there anyway as it's useful to have it there for debugging.

That's about it, I guess..
10-09-2021, 07:51 PM
RE: Rendering backend question
Thank you very much! I'll stick with Vulkan on both and watch out for occasional incompatibilities, then.