Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Strange networking issue possibly regarding Windows 10
05-09-2021, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2021 08:37 AM by Somonkin.)
RE: Strange networking issue possibly regarding Windows 10
Ah, it was admittedly quite an oversight that we didn't try one of the test builds. We were greeted with a new error which I don't think is in 1.11.3: "Data from incorrect port" followed by Friend B's Mac address. I'm not entirely sure what the error means, but I concluded it meant the issue was port related, not OS related as I originally thought. The main reason I was weary of the OS at first is simply because it's caused issues in the past (infinite loading was mentioned, and I recall PSP2 having that issue with most Windows 7 computers, though that seems to be fixed in the later builds now as I no longer infinite load).

After messing around a bit more with a VPN, we were able to get it to work with him on Windows 10. I think the issue is most definitely that his ports are blocked, though I'm uncertain why we were still able to connect to his server when he hosted it previously (our IPs did show up in his logs, etc). It's just that despite being able to successfully connect to his server, we were unable to actually see each other. I'm assuming that perhaps port 27312 was allowed but the rest of the necessary ports for the games weren't. I was initially confused by this since Friend A only had 27312 forwarded, so I thought the issue would affect him as well if it was an issue of certain ports not being forwarded. It turns out that he has DMZ enabled, though, so I think that explains that.

Anyways, yes, it all seems good now, and we can get it to reliably work. I'll look into what he can do about his ports. For now, the VPN will do. He's from another country and his router settings are difficult to comprehend.

Thank you both for your help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Strange networking issue possibly regarding Windows 10 - Somonkin - 05-09-2021 08:29 AM