Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
100% of stick = ? And deadzone?
05-02-2021, 02:38 AM
100% of stick = ? And deadzone?
Hey, how are you guys?

Can I ask for someone to take up... (I don't know what the the technical term would be) an option that lets you change what 100% of the stick outputs as.
E.g. 100% outputs as 50% on the emulator or 40%, 70%. Whatever you set it to.

And a deadzone option.

Why is this needed?
At the moment there's only a maximum cap on stick output, which isn't helpful.
My controller, for example, when you move the stick to 50% it outputs on the emulator as 100% (do all controllers do this?).
It makes games like Metal Gear Solid incredibly difficult. Because you have to silently walk up to an enemy from behind, and to do so, you have this very limited range on the stick that registers as walking. "Ok, I have to go NOW if I want to take out this guard" And Snake remains stationery while you gently push the stick stick forward in increments, trying to get Snake to only walk. And if you're slightly off, you either remain stationery and miss the opportunity or run and make too much noise and get discovered.
Configuring it so Snake only runs at 100% on the stick would be such a boon.

Why deadzone?
Many games require the stick to be stationery.
Like Metal Gear Solid, again, many of the actions require you to be stationery. Grabbing a guard from behind becomes agravating when the controller moves you out of range, or Snake throws a guard you've grabbed when you're trying to get him to talk.
Yes I could open up the controller and fix it with a shifter. But I think changing a deadzone option is better to try first, as opening up your hardware always has an inherent risk.

Why doesn't analog axis sensitivity help here?
It only caps the max output.
If Snake runs at 50% on the stick and you cap it to output a max of 60%; Snake will still run when the stick gets to 50%.

Or is there something I've missed? Some other way of doing it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2021, 06:15 AM
RE: 100% of stick = ? And deadzone?
I guess I just want a way to manually calibrate a controller -- that's probably the best way to put it. It doesn't look like there's much support for controllers on android.
05-02-2021, 06:16 AM
Under control mapping, you can map a key for "Analog limiter". This is probably not well named, but when you press it it'll reduce any mapped keys for analog to the set amount.

Currently it doesn't apply to actual sticks (it only applies to buttons which would otherwise be 0% or 100%), but maybe we could make it apply to analog sticks as well? That'd probably make sense.

Quote:My controller, for example, when you move the stick to 50% it outputs on the emulator as 100% (do all controllers do this?).

No, that doesn't sound usual. What platform is this on?

We do have some deadzone settings, but the PSP nub was really not great so most PSP games have their own deadzone logic. Maybe whatever is happening on your controller is making it oversensitive...

Not sure if you've ever physically used the PSP's analog nub. It is not very easy to finely control in the gap between 100% and 0%, so really most games seem to make the decision near 100%. Shame if this game isn't.

At most I could imagine some visual thing, kinda like the display layout editor, that allows you to control the scale of your analog vs the PSP's analog range and offset the center.

-[Unknown]
05-02-2021, 11:03 PM
"Analog limiter only applies to buttons atm."
Ah, that would be why it only seems to briefly pause stick functionality.
Yeah, if it applied to the sticks that could work as a workaround. Set it to hold trigger to walk, or some other button.

"What platform you on?"
Android... Android 5 specifically.
Do your controllers do something similar on Android?

"There's a deadzone setting."
There is? I can't find it >_<
Please walk us through where it is?

Yeah, something that controls the output scale. That might be a better term.

I have actually managed to get pretty far in the game, despite stealth being much more difficult. Capturing all the enemy soldiers and not killing any of them...
For peace! ✌
05-09-2021, 09:56 PM
The issue of running when you don't want solves itself at some point in the game. Of course, similar problems will still be prevalent in other games.

But for anyone experiencing the same issue in Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker... Yes, it's harder, but just slog it out and eventually you get an item that removes the walking requirement.
05-12-2021, 05:34 AM
FWIW, latest git builds now apply the limiter button to real analogs.

-[Unknown]
05-12-2021, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2021 10:58 PM by Moromillas.)
I just tried it and the limiter works really well. Very easy to walk now, it's like magic. Well done. Thank you very much.