Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A new idea improved ad-hoc multiplayer
10-05-2020, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2020 02:37 PM by nadaking.)
A new idea improved ad-hoc multiplayer
Hello,

I was thinking about the following set up.

* 1 cloud sever running PPSSPP as the host
* Additional, local (to the cloud server) servers running clients.
* * As an alternative, this could be multiple containers on the same server
* Create a local ad-hoc network

===

Finally, each instance/server/container would run parsec to allow others to remotely control and interact with the client emulators.

Certainly the biggest concern would be input delay but this is mitigated greatly by parsec itself. You can find a lot of examples of recent work in the fighting game community using this solution to very satisfactory results with other games.

===

This would reduce the networking overhead to only that found between cloud instance=>parsec=>user's local machine. The actual ad-hoc communication would all be happening locally which would greatly improve the quality of communication.

I suspect my idea isn't full optimized and was curious if others had thoughts or ideas to improve it further. Even better would be a confirmation that this idea is strong and something that can be spun up by the development team to test.

Cheers,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2020, 02:59 PM
RE: A new idea improved ad-hoc multiplayer
It's going to be like google Stadia Smile but possible.
However, it'll probably going to be costly to rent a cloud with GPU

My Modified PPSSPP :
==============
Win32&64: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2t3mtdhb0f045cn/PPSSPP_1.11-testbuild_Win32x64.zip?dl=0
Android(ARMv7): https://www.dropbox.com/s/b41bm43mtn1gpnn/PPSSPP_1.11-testbuild_ARMv7.apk?dl=0
10-05-2020, 03:04 PM
I think that maybe its possible but it's not practical in nature.
I know some good PSP games that got a playable netcode to them if that's what you are interested about like Shin Budokai 1/2 , the BlazBlue games and some arena fighters like Marvel Nemesis and Tales Of VS.
They are mostly full speed no matter what the distance you are from the other player/s .
But yeah the majority if not all 2D fighters require a good distance because they all use lockstep netcode (it was before the era of rollback netcode).
10-05-2020, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2020 04:14 PM by nadaking.)
(10-05-2020 03:04 PM)Zinx777 Wrote:  I think that maybe its possible but it's not practical in nature.
I know some good PSP games that got a playable netcode to them if that's what you are interested about like Shin Budokai 1/2 , the BlazBlue games and some arena fighters like Marvel Nemesis and Tales Of VS.
They are mostly full speed no matter what the distance you are from the other player/s .
But yeah the majority if not all 2D fighters require a good distance because they all use lockstep netcode (it was before the era of rollback netcode).

The issue is with the ad-hoc netcode itself. Running locally, it is fine - the minute you want to connect to someone even a 3 hr drive away, it begins to drop all kinds. By simplifying the packet-loss to only screen capture and input capture, it makes this a null-issue.

I doubt anyone is looking at implementing rollback into the psp's adhoc network communication protocol, but that would be certainly be ideal.

(10-05-2020 02:59 PM)AdamN Wrote:  It's going to be like google Stadia Smile but possible.

The cloud-parsec community would argue the performance gains over stadia are multitudes better. Not even worth comparing it to the overhead involved with Stadia connections.
10-05-2020, 04:27 PM
(10-05-2020 04:12 PM)nadaking Wrote:  
(10-05-2020 03:04 PM)Zinx777 Wrote:  I think that maybe its possible but it's not practical in nature.

The issue is with the ad-hoc netcode itself. Running locally, it is fine - the minute you want to connect to someone even a 3 hr drive away, it begins to drop all kinds. By simplifying the packet-loss to only screen capture and input capture, it makes this a null-issue.

I doubt anyone is looking at implementing rollback into the psp's adhoc network communication protocol, but that would be certainly be ideal.

(10-05-2020 02:59 PM)AdamN Wrote:  It's going to be like google Stadia Smile but possible.

The cloud-parsec community would argue the performance gains over stadia are multitudes better. Not even worth comparing it to the overhead involved with Stadia connections.

Ah yes lag and slowdown is not the only thing that is affected but also input.
Over the internet the input could get many drops and be unreliable.
TBH this problem could be on both Parsec and the ad-hoc that PPSSPP uses but maybe Parsec could be better with it.