Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 5 Average
Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Community Expansion (WIP) [Updated 12/16/2021]
01-28-2022, 06:08 AM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Community Expansion (WIP) [Updated 12/16/2021]
Hi there, i've been following this project for quite some time now, and i love your work on it. I just made an account because as of recently i have a bit of an error, and i think is not on my part, so, i wanted to play the game again, this time on my phone (OPPO Reno 5 Lite, just in case the info is necessary) and downloaded the x3 version of the textures, but as i started the game i noticed that Yukari's and Mitsuru's portraits were not upscaled, i made sure to check the Replace Textures option and such, but to no avail, so i tried the x6 ver. (Which my phone cannot handle at stable fps) and funnily enough, the mentioned portraits and not only that but the initial cutscene images (which where also not upscaled in the x3) do get enhanced while using that version. Is it a problem of mine, a thing of the x3 ver. or perhaps has something to do with how the emulator handles the texture folder? thanks in advance and i apologize if my english is faulty, it is not my first languageSmile saludos!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2022, 04:36 AM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Community Expansion (WIP) [Updated 12/16/2021]
(01-28-2022 06:08 AM)TheXlxx Wrote:  Hi there, I've been following this project for quite some time now, and I love your work on it. I just made an account because as of recently I have a bit of an error, and I think it's not on my part. So I wanted to play the game again, this time on my phone (OPPO Reno 5 Lite, just in case the info is necessary) and downloaded the x3 version of the textures, but as I started the game I noticed that Yukari's and Mitsuru's portraits were not upscaled, I made sure to check the Replace Textures option and such, but to no avail, so I tried the x6 ver. (Which my phone cannot handle at stable fps) and funnily enough, the mentioned portraits and not only that but the initial cutscene images (which where also not upscaled in the x3) do get enhanced while using that version. Is it a problem of mine, a thing of the x3 ver. or perhaps has something to do with how the emulator handles the texture folder? Thanks in advance and I apologize if my English is faulty, it is not my first languageSmile saludos!

That's quite strange. It is especially strange since I use the same textures.ini file for both versions of the pack and have no issues on my end. Additionally, both packs should have identical filenames. It might be a good idea to report the issue as a bug.

En español (practice):
Es bastante extraño. Es especialmente extraño ya que uso el mismo archivo textures.ini para ambas versiones del pack y no tengo ningún problema. Además, ambas versiones deben tener nombres de archivo idénticos. Podría ser una buena idea reportar el problema como un error.
04-01-2022, 05:49 PM
Hey! Just downloaded the texture pack because I wanted to play feMC route on my phone while it’s slow at work. Downloaded the 3x file and used all the right settings but I experience a good amount of stutter, currently running the PPSSPP emulator on my Galaxy Fold 3. Do you think my device just can’t handle it or are there other settings to use?
04-02-2022, 03:49 AM
Hello! Made an account to ask if there are any other specific settings I should have enabled for playing on a mobile device (Galaxy Fold 3 specifically) because it seems like even at 3x the game stutters a good amount when anyone enters a dialogue (music stops for a second as well)
Is it just a limitation of my phone not being able to play it or am I missing something besides the instructions provided. Thank you in advance!
04-19-2022, 08:43 PM
(04-02-2022 03:49 AM)Sbn_rustic Wrote:  Hello! Made an account to ask if there are any other specific settings I should have enabled for playing on a mobile device (Galaxy Fold 3 specifically) because it seems like even at 3x the game stutters a good amount when anyone enters a dialogue (music stops for a second as well)
Is it just a limitation of my phone not being able to play it or am I missing something besides the instructions provided. Thank you in advance!

It seems to happen for everyone. Texture stutter occurs when loading bigger textures in, causing the game itself to stutter. I'm not sure what exactly is causing it and have been trying to fix it for a while now (if it can even be fixed). I might be wrong about this, but so long as the texture has been loaded in earlier while playing the game and you haven't exited out of the game yet, it shouldn't stutter again, although that isn't really a fix, just an observation.
04-20-2022, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2022 09:08 PM by chrisfand.)
(04-19-2022 08:43 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  
(04-02-2022 03:49 AM)Sbn_rustic Wrote:  Hello! Made an account to ask if there are any other specific settings I should have enabled for playing on a mobile device (Galaxy Fold 3 specifically) because it seems like even at 3x the game stutters a good amount when anyone enters a dialogue (music stops for a second as well)

It seems to happen for everyone. Texture stutter occurs when loading bigger textures in, causing the game itself to stutter. I'm not sure what exactly is causing it and have been trying to fix it for a while now (if it can even be fixed). I might be wrong about this, but so long as the texture has been loaded in earlier while playing the game and you haven't exited out of the game yet, it shouldn't stutter again, although that isn't really a fix, just an observation.

Have you tried compressing the PNGs with pngquant? The ~70% reduction in file size across the board might reduce stutters depending on what the bottleneck is (VRAM, storage speed, PNG decoding speed).

You can try this tool to batch process your whole pack overnight (it's slow): https://nukesaq88.github.io/Pngyu/

I'd recommend to leave the slider at max quality. Enabling dithering will fix color banding, but I think it might use an older version of pngquant because it sometimes dithers in unnecessary places. In that case, you're better off running the latest release of pngquant from the commandline or maybe try another GUI.
04-21-2022, 08:39 PM
(04-20-2022 08:44 PM)chrisfand Wrote:  
(04-19-2022 08:43 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  

Have you tried compressing the PNGs with pngquant? The ~70% reduction in file size across the board might reduce stutters depending on what the bottleneck is (VRAM, storage speed, PNG decoding speed).

You can try this tool to batch process your whole pack overnight (it's slow): https://nukesaq88.github.io/Pngyu/

I'd recommend to leave the slider at max quality. Enabling dithering will fix color banding, but I think it might use an older version of pngquant because it sometimes dithers in unnecessary places. In that case, you're better off running the latest release of pngquant from the commandline or maybe try another GUI.

I don't think it is storage size since it seems to stutter about the same amount between 3x and 6x, even with 8 GB of VRAM. But PNG decoding speed might have something to do with that? Is there any way to reduce the amount of time it takes to decode a PNG?
04-22-2022, 01:37 AM
Zooming in on an optimized image produces black blocks, but I took a closer look at your image and it doesn't. Excuse me, how did you optimize it?
[Image: QQ-20220422102924.png]
04-22-2022, 06:38 AM
After the texture is enlarged, there will be black blocks in the transparent place. How did you deal with it?
04-23-2022, 12:24 AM
(04-22-2022 06:38 AM)kongmao45678 Wrote:  After the texture is enlarged, there will be black blocks in the transparent place. How did you deal with it?

I think you posted this in the wrong thread. Either way, if you want to retain the transparency, there are a number of ways to do that. If you want to convert the transparent areas to a set color, you might want to use something like ImageMagick to do that. Will require some Googling though.
04-23-2022, 07:06 AM
(04-23-2022 12:24 AM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  
(04-22-2022 06:38 AM)kongmao45678 Wrote:  After the texture is enlarged, there will be black blocks in the transparent place. How did you deal with it?

I think you posted this in the wrong thread. Either way, if you want to retain the transparency, there are a number of ways to do that. If you want to convert the transparent areas to a set color, you might want to use something like ImageMagick to do that. Will require some Googling though.

Because I have carefully looked at all your pictures, and there are no black blocks. After processing transparent images with super-resolution magnification software, there will be black blocks in the transparent parts. But yours doesn't, have you processed each image individually?
04-23-2022, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2022 01:12 PM by TridentOfTheAbyss.)
(04-23-2022 07:06 AM)kongmao45678 Wrote:  
(04-22-2022 06:38 AM)kongmao45678 Wrote:  ...

Because I have carefully looked at all your pictures, and there are no black blocks. After processing transparent images with super-resolution magnification software, there will be black blocks in the transparent parts. But yours doesn't, have you processed each image individually?

I hate to say it, but none of the textures I worked with had this issue to begin with so I've never encountered it. However, a friend of mine did switch the color of each transparent pixel from white to black on some textures to make upscaling easier, though I couldn't tell you how. I'm pretty sure this is just a game-specific issue. Either way, I'm certainly not the best person to ask about this.
04-24-2022, 06:10 AM
(04-23-2022 01:11 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  

I hate to say it, but none of the textures I worked with had this issue to begin with so I've never encountered it. However, a friend of mine did switch the color of each transparent pixel from white to black on some textures to make upscaling easier, though I couldn't tell you how. I'm pretty sure this is just a game-specific issue. Either way, I'm certainly not the best person to ask about this.
I looked at the model you used for conversion. I used the same model as you, but when converting, as long as it is a transparent image, it will produce more or less black areas. Can you tell me what software did you use to convert it? I think it may be caused by the conversion software.
04-26-2022, 11:16 PM
(04-24-2022 06:10 AM)kongmao45678 Wrote:  
(04-23-2022 01:11 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  

I looked at the model you used for conversion. I used the same model as you, but when converting, as long as it is a transparent image, it will produce more or less black areas. Can you tell me what software did you use to convert it? I think it may be caused by the conversion software.

This seems like a discussion better continued in private messages as it relates very little to the texture pack. Although, as stated, I doubt I can help you much.
06-13-2022, 04:36 PM
Well, with the recent announcements it will be interesting to see how this project will compare to official PC release.