Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 5 Average
Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Community Expansion (WIP) [Updated 12/16/2021]
12-15-2020, 09:41 PM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using AI (WIP) [Updated 12/15/2020]
(12-15-2020 12:58 PM)ArcEnCiel Wrote:  
(12-15-2020 08:16 AM)flamecrest920 Wrote:  Your work is amazing! I'm still working away at applying PS2 textures to the Personas, but this pack looks better and better with each release.

I have done similar thing previously and posted it in this thread. You might wanna check that work to see if you're not repeating what was done already, or if there's anything you think you could improve on compared to mine attempts.

I appreciate the concern haha. I started with what you've posted here and attempted to fill gaps like the Orpheus trio (well there's technically four, but you already covered Messiah), Ganesha's face, Mot's arm, and Empusa.

Here's a link to what I have so far, just in case either of us have caught something the other is missing:

https://mega.nz/folder/DxsHXQTY#Zy2YPrDVA6Vd8Vsa8HiYsg

While i'm here, I also got ahold of Theo's textures/cutin for Trident, and realized he actually uses textures from Kanji's Velvet Attendant outfit outright, so I applied the less compressed equivalents in a separate subfolder here:

https://mega.nz/folder/io81RAgL#GhWgcp-79B9XSzdo7nkGsg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2020, 11:16 PM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using AI (WIP) [Updated 12/15/2020]
(12-15-2020 08:37 PM)ArcEnCiel Wrote:  OK from bottom up 3x version it is.

Wait, wait! Make it the 6x version since I create the 3x version from downscaling the 6x!
12-16-2020, 12:43 PM
(12-15-2020 11:16 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  Wait, wait! Make it the 6x version since I create the 3x version from downscaling the 6x!

OK here's a sample of completed Yuko and Yukiko textures at 6x. Let me know if they are fine.

https://mega.nz/file/9k0y0TiL#ado4bb856F...qrGuaIe-R0
12-16-2020, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2020 06:15 PM by flamecrest920.)
Hey guys, just popping in to say that I updated the PS2 Persona texture applications with some more. Trident let me know that there's a bit of a texture filtering issue that impedes it ingame, so watch out for that. Anyways, I added Chi You, Castor, Surt, and Polydeuces completed Nemesis (and moved it out of Hypnos's folder, *whoops*), got Seth's other wing texture, and the brown part of Hypnos. For the most part Atlus literally split the PS2 textures in half and shrunk them rather than doing any of the usual texture combining, so I did the same and just....didn't shrink them. So as far as I know, there weren't any problems with having to stretch or shrink the textures to compensate for any mapping changes.

Link is the exact same, but it's here just in case.

Just for fun, I made an ingame version of Margaret's blond hair (to match her 2.1 portrait of course) and added it to the Characters folder here:

https://mega.nz/folder/rxcAmb5L#NnBmqW0sWIeYII6i0KwCUA

It affects both her actual model and has a replacement for her Model Render as well, with the normal 2.1 stuff in the folder for easy swapping's sake if you decide it isn't your thing.

Truth be told I briefly thought about stopping working on the PS2 texture stuff, but then I realized how close we'd both gotten to filling out all of the Personas and felt motivated I guess. Afaik most of what's left either has some prohibitive texture mapping, or just outright wasn't shrunk from the PS2 version, so I think we're getting there. Happy to offer my two cents in case it helps, as always.

EDIT: Ninja link fix. Fun facts while i'm here: P3P Odin comes from Persona *4* rather than 3 itself for some reason. Titania also used completely different textures in spots despite again, being meant to be the design from 3. I used textures from 3 in my pack of course.
12-16-2020, 07:37 PM

So I'm looking at your textures I notice for many aspect ratio isn't 1:1. Did you test to see if that doesn't break how they appear ingame?
12-16-2020, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2020 07:43 PM by flamecrest920.)
(12-16-2020 07:37 PM)ArcEnCiel Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 06:10 PM)flamecrest920 Wrote:  

So I'm looking at your textures I notice for many aspect ratio isn't 1:1. Did you test to see if that doesn't break how they appear ingame?

Yes! That was my first concern haha. As far as I can tell, as long as the *actual* proportions on the texture itself match, the different aspect ratio doesn't affect what ends up displaying. (i.e. if I was to take male Orpheus' face texture and scale it up to something weird like 764x764, it would still be applied to the model properly because all of the texture parts are still in the exact same spot)

I'm explaining this pretty poorly, but it works in the same sense as the 384x384 Universe Arcana parts that Trident has right now.

EDIT: got hashes set up for in-battle 3D areas in Tartarus to use the textures that already were in v2.1, alongside ripped PS2 textures wherever wasn't covered:

https://mega.nz/folder/WsVBxKpD#0CbZJZh2bAKv_osKjCwCnQ

Decidedly doesn't cover Full Moon bosses yet, cause I got tired of staring at FES's FIELD folder. Went back and added my hashes ini to everything, but didn't cut out the existing stuff from 2.1 and your pack, so it'll take some manual merging.

EDIT 2: I got a considerably better shot set up to replace Theodore's model render. it's been added to his folder, and it's here too.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-21-2020, 01:10 AM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using AI (WIP) [Updated 12/20/2020]
ADDED an update 2.2 BETA patch to the downloads. Includes a lot of what was posted recently with some of my changes.

(12-16-2020 07:37 PM)ArcEnCiel Wrote:  ...

Looks pretty good so far. No visible issues so far (at least I didn't see any, there could be some for all I know, but I doubt it). Thanks for the help. Now that I have more free time, I might be able to make more progress. For now, I patched out the unnecessary blinking animations, which I included in the patch.

(12-16-2020 08:42 PM)flamecrest920 Wrote:  ...

Looks good. I made some adjustments, but not many. Mainly, the stretched textures being squished has me somewhat worried that the textures will look worse or incorrect. As for Odin's, the changes are so minor, it's basically placebo, so I removed it to cut down on texture buffer a bit. Also, THANK YOU for the Theodore render! Finally! I also made some general adjustments to certain texture linking and texture shading that didn't make sense. Quite a few textures were cut or replaced because I had a better version in the works, they didn't match the original, or they were the same resolution as the original.

-----------------------------------------------

To install the patch, copy everything inside the patch and paste into version 2.1, replacing everything that it asks to.
12-21-2020, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2020 09:27 PM by flamecrest920.)
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using AI (WIP) [Updated 12/20/2020]
(12-21-2020 01:10 AM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  ADDED an update 2.2 BETA patch to the downloads. Includes a lot of what was posted recently with some of my changes.

(12-16-2020 07:37 PM)ArcEnCiel Wrote:  ...

Looks pretty good so far. No visible issues so far (at least I didn't see any, there could be some for all I know, but I doubt it). Thanks for the help. Now that I have more free time, I might be able to make more progress. For now, I patched out the unnecessary blinking animations, which I included in the patch.

(12-16-2020 08:42 PM)flamecrest920 Wrote:  ...

Looks good. I made some adjustments, but not many. Mainly, the stretched textures being squished has me somewhat worried that the textures will look worse or incorrect. As for Odin's, the changes are so minor, it's basically placebo, so I removed it to cut down on texture buffer a bit. Also, THANK YOU for the Theodore render! Finally! I also made some general adjustments to certain texture linking and texture shading that didn't make sense. Quite a few textures were cut or replaced because I had a better version in the works, they didn't match the original, or they were the same resolution as the original.

-----------------------------------------------

To install the patch, copy everything inside the patch and paste into version 2.1, replacing everything that it asks to.

Ooh thank you! I mostly wrapped up what I plan to do for the Personas inbetween when I last posted and when you responded, so here they are at the same spot:

The rest of Odin is part of it of course (and I actually got the texture for the chest this time, rather than plopping Portable's shrunk one in there), although I realize now that may not be of much use. Atlus basically shrunk his Persona 4 textures in half and called it a day....so I just undid that haha. Your upscale is probably going to come out better than what I did for him.

This has Lilith's hair/snake, Black Frost, and amateur attempt at redrawing the smiley on PS2 Jack Frost, Koumokuten's face, Nata Taishi's arms, Taraka's skull headdress, some of Oukuniushi's plating, Uriel's head, Take-Mikazuchi's sword/hair, and the rest of Scathach. Outside of Koumokuten, these didn't need any harsh scaling iirc. Outside of everything me and Arc have provided so far, most PS2 textures for the Personas are outright the same or require some scaling to be reapplied.

While i'm here, there's a few Personas that I actually can't seem to access in my attempts at ripping both Persona 3 and 4! Cybele, Leanan Sidhe, and....Satan himself seem to have unopenable files, at least in the US releases of both games. Anyways, that should mostly be it from me unless we sort something out there, or locate any leftover weapons/enemies. Most of the characters have some remapping going on, so for now I'll just leave them be.

EDIT: Apparently I royally botched Hypnos's textures by forgetting to split them in two (face/chest was hashed to the metallic pieces, hashed face texture was missing entirely). This is fixed in the folder now, as is Scathach's face.
12-24-2020, 08:20 PM
(12-21-2020 08:20 PM)flamecrest920 Wrote:  ...

Alright. I made a few adjustments, deletions, and additions. The patch has been updated in the same folder. It includes a shading/coloring adjustment to some textures as well. I wasn't able to test everything since I lack saves for certain events, but I imagine it should be all good. You can check what I included if you want and I can clarify any questions you might have.
12-25-2020, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-25-2020 11:51 PM by flamecrest920.)
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using AI (WIP) [Updated 12/24/2020]
(12-24-2020 08:20 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  
(12-21-2020 08:20 PM)flamecrest920 Wrote:  ...

Alright. I made a few adjustments, deletions, and additions. The patch has been updated in the same folder. It includes a shading/coloring adjustment to some textures as well. I wasn't able to test everything since I lack saves for certain events, but I imagine it should be all good. You can check what I included if you want and I can clarify any questions you might have.

Gotcha. I noticed you didn't include the female Orpheus face/harp texture, but saw that you upscaled the hair on the arms/hair texture, and that actually prompted me to essentially redo the face/harp texture again with the same mindset. This time I kept an upscaled version of the female Orpheus face and harp, and didn't miss several metallic parts of the harp that were shared between her and the original Orpheus like last time. The shadows on female Orpheus's body (namely on the yellow-gold areas) came out much more intense that I really would like, so I redid those as well. It should be much cleaner and consistent overall.

As always, I found more to do. Before I look silly working on Christmas Day, I did most of this the same day that you replied haha. I fixed Penthesilea's chest around the steel bra specifically(Portable stretched the texture for some unknown reason?? It didn't affect the size of the texture they used, and Penthesilea doesn't seem any lower poly, so it confuses me), redid Mother Harlot's skull by combining it with an edit of the original skull texture from Daisoujou, and did the same with Titania's wing (which apparently is cropped and shrunken from Pixie. I finished Isis, Io, Lilim, Hokuto Seikun, and Palladion too. I made some corrections to Tartarus and Margaret's fight, and the links are the same as always. Unless I mistakenly missed something, i've merged all of your changes into my stuff btw. Promise i'm paying attentionn.

I've also put up another round of the raw dump folder, if by some miracle I have something new. Only other new thing is that i've begun to specifically arrange unmodified Portable model textures on a character by character basis, so if you want to upscale them, you can do so from scratch without having to search through one of our texture dump folders. (So no PS2 textures, or upscales of ANY kind) Links are exactly the same again, and the arranged and untouched characters are here:

https://mega.nz/folder/OslzTShR#oFcSUwenmFSVk9mFrOYhkg

So much for stopping, I know, I know. At this point, afaik i've made saves for eqch month, so please let me know if you need one to test something in particular. I'm not above sleeping my days away in a NG+ save if it gets us where we need to be. I do hear you when you ask if I have any questions. Most of the time something not being included is pretty straightforward (i.e. Margaret/Elizabeth's eyes simply being the originals blown up to be alongside an uncompressed outfit texture, or gold hair Margaret being built off of the former) Ditto for the old upscales or somewhat mismatched Tartarus applications. To make a blanket statement: I can see a reason behind what you do pretty much all of the time. I think the only headscratcher might be retaining the artbook paintover portrait of the male MC for the New Game menu, but that's minor. Most everything else seems to fall under consistency with Portable (even when inconsistent with it's PS2 counterparts) or scaling/upscaling issues unless i'm mistaken. You're doing great, and i'm glad my constant pour of junk has been of some use. Take care of yourself, and i'll likely still be here nitpick-ily finding things to adjust as we go along.
12-26-2020, 01:16 AM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using AI (WIP) [Updated 12/24/2020]
(12-25-2020 11:50 PM)flamecrest920 Wrote:  ...Before I look silly working on Christmas Day, I did most of this the same day that you replied haha...

Haha... Me trying to release an update on Christmas: ded.

(12-25-2020 11:50 PM)flamecrest920 Wrote:  I think the only headscratcher might be retaining the artbook paintover portrait of the male MC for the New Game menu, but that's minor.

****! I forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me.

(12-25-2020 11:50 PM)flamecrest920 Wrote:  Take care of yourself, and i'll likely still be here nitpick-ily finding things to adjust as we go along.

You too dude, I'll be digging into this tonight or tomorrow.
12-26-2020, 03:58 AM
Updated the patch. Getting ever closer to version 2.2. Probably gonna work on blinking animations or dynamic backdrops next. After that, gonna start fixing pupils if I can find time.
12-27-2020, 11:00 PM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using AI (WIP) [Updated 12/25/2020]
(12-26-2020 03:58 AM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  Updated the patch. Getting ever closer to version 2.2. Probably gonna work on blinking animations or dynamic backdrops next. After that, gonna start fixing pupils if I can find time.

Well, I did pupils first instead. Only Yukari's pupils have been fixed so far. Got myself a little familiar with GIMP in the process. Let me know what you think of the new pupils and any problems you have with the new versions (since this isn't my specialty). The new versions can be found in the updated patch.
12-28-2020, 09:31 AM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using AI (WIP) [Updated 12/27/2020]
If you need any help understanding GIMP, hit me up on Discord, since I learned a few neat tricks on it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-29-2020, 07:46 PM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using AI (WIP) [Updated 12/27/2020]
(12-27-2020 11:00 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  
(12-26-2020 03:58 AM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  Updated the patch. Getting ever closer to version 2.2. Probably gonna work on blinking animations or dynamic backdrops next. After that, gonna start fixing pupils if I can find time.

Well, I did pupils first instead. Only Yukari's pupils have been fixed so far. Got myself a little familiar with GIMP in the process. Let me know what you think of the new pupils and any problems you have with the new versions (since this isn't my specialty). The new versions can be found in the updated patch.

I've started looking through. The new pupils look pretty good! They sort of vacillate between being a softer gradient that fades and an outright oval-ish shape, but I realized that this is something FES actually does as well in it's base portraits for Yukari, so I want to chalk it up to being something intentional. This isn't something new to the pupil fix of course, but i've noticed that certain accessories get smudged a bit during the upscale process, like the dark divots on Yukari's heart choker. The portraits also have a slightly cooler tint than the originals, but I think it might save some headaches to leave any manual fixing for these two things until a "final" set of upscale models is nailed down. (Lest you have to redraw the redraw, as it were)
The smudging crops up in some of the backdrops as well, like the FMV shots surrounding Nyx, the cross hanging shots around the betrayal, and the ones of the MCs sleeping.
I figure it might owe to being upscaled with older models than the character portraits at this point.

Female Orpheus seems to be uses the older textures I did with darker shadows for the main yellow body, rather than the newer ones. Did you mean to do that? I came across with an emulation issue in PPSSPP too. For the moons, I corrected the rotation of the one during the Nyx fight to closer match the original texture, but in-game the moon seems to be mirrored for some reason. (This is despite the new texture and the old one more or less being aligned)