Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Textures loading problem
12-30-2019, 06:03 PM
Textures loading problem
Well i was testing this feature but for some reason doesn't work at all i tested several games to get the textures replaced but no luck the game kept showing the default textures instead of the modified ones.

Has that feature worked before.

Normally on other emulators the game uses the name header and will load the textures from there checking that have the proper name something like this 09a1fe00947137388de98bb5.png but ppsspp doesn't work won't load the textures no matter what.

I put the folder with the textures in game and textures but didn't work not planning on making an ini file to lose valuable time renaming and pasting stuff there since normally the emulator should check textures folder and game id and replace textures if option is on and if is off should avoid making checks .

Tested the last version and all the backends on windows none worked.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2020, 03:01 AM
RE: Textures loading problem
> Has that feature worked before.

Pretty obviously yes, since there are people posting texture packs and saying they look good. Must be that it does work for other people.

It's not supposed to go in the same folder as the game, it must be in a special TEXTURES folder, and inside a folder with the game's ID inside there. If you enable the "save new textures" option, it'll create this folder for you and put new files inside a "new" directory. Replacing those won't do anything, you must put them outside "new".

Also remember that different regions of a game may use different textures.

-[Unknown]
01-01-2020, 04:08 PM
They are outside the "new" folder as i said i put the textures on TEXTURES gameid folder and games folder just in case, never worked it won't even work when doing the ini which is a waste of time.

I don't use two different version of the game or anything just the same game,besides checking jpcsp most games with different region share the same file names the only difference would be the gameid folder name.

Main reason of why i asked "has this feature worked before" was because testing the textures packs shared here and gbatemp none of them loads and is not just me are several users making those claims like "KH birth by sleep 4K textures don't load" or "KHBBS 4K textures show a black screen" or "MH3 HD textures broke the game i just get a black screen" or "The game froze after i installed a texture pack"

It has never replaced the textures well returning to jpcsp again until this feature works as it should and i return to that emulator because is the only one that replaces textures without problem since release.

Games i tested replacing textures
Fairy Tail Portable Guild (not working)
Fairy Tail Portable Guild 2 (not working)
Fairy Tail Zeref no Kakusei (not working)
Digimon Adventure (not working)
Akiba Strip (not working)
Mai Hime (not working)
Sunday vs Magazine (crashed the emulator replacing one texture)
Fate Extra (not working)
Dragon Ball Shin Budokai 2 (not working)
01-02-2020, 02:34 AM
The textures won't load and will show as black instead if you don't have enough VRAM.

Keep in mind that a 4K texture pack means textures are 8x the size on each side. Additionally, replaced textures are always 32-bit color. That means a single original pixel which would've required 2 bytes now requires 256 bytes.

So if normally emulating a game might require say ~100 MB of VRAM, it would now require 12 GB of VRAM with a 4K texture pack.

When we try to load a texture and you're out of VRAM, graphics drivers don't always handle this well. PPSSPP may crash, but in most cases it'll just result in a black texture. That's what causes the black.

Your operating system will most likely first try to swap RAM or even VRAM to disk, which will tank performance fast. You do not want to run out of VRAM. If you want to use 4K texture packs, you'd better have a video card with tons of VRAM like the NVIDIA GTX 2080 Ti.

You can use a tool like GPU-Z to monitor your GPU's load and VRAM usage to get a sense for whether this is a problem you're experiencing.

JPCSP hasn't run all the games I like well, but if it works well for you - great. I'm glad you've found a solution.

But just to maybe state the obvious - I don't know much about JPCSP's texture replacement feature, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't use the same hashes as PPSSPP does if it has such a feature. PPSSPP's hashes are based on a seed value that is just a number we made up. If you're trying to just use a JPCSP texture pack with PPSSPP, it obviously won't work.

-[Unknown]
01-03-2020, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2020 01:46 PM by Tabris666.)
(01-02-2020 02:34 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  The textures won't load and will show as black instead if you don't have enough VRAM.

Keep in mind that a 4K texture pack means textures are 8x the size on each side. Additionally, replaced textures are always 32-bit color. That means a single original pixel which would've required 2 bytes now requires 256 bytes.

So if normally emulating a game might require say ~100 MB of VRAM, it would now require 12 GB of VRAM with a 4K texture pack.

When we try to load a texture and you're out of VRAM, graphics drivers don't always handle this well. PPSSPP may crash, but in most cases it'll just result in a black texture. That's what causes the black.

Your operating system will most likely first try to swap RAM or even VRAM to disk, which will tank performance fast. You do not want to run out of VRAM. If you want to use 4K texture packs, you'd better have a video card with tons of VRAM like the NVIDIA GTX 2080 Ti.

You can use a tool like GPU-Z to monitor your GPU's load and VRAM usage to get a sense for whether this is a problem you're experiencing.

JPCSP hasn't run all the games I like well, but if it works well for you - great. I'm glad you've found a solution.

But just to maybe state the obvious - I don't know much about JPCSP's texture replacement feature, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't use the same hashes as PPSSPP does if it has such a feature. PPSSPP's hashes are based on a seed value that is just a number we made up. If you're trying to just use a JPCSP texture pack with PPSSPP, it obviously won't work.

-[Unknown]
jpcsp works pretty well is just a matter of knowledge on how the games works only and making the settings besides that is easy has a 95% of compatibility and is the only one running MH3 portable (the original) out of the box and God Eater 1.01 which ppsspp still won't run in fact there are games that work better on jpcsp in fact the only reason i use ppsspp is because doesn't have high requirements compared to jpcsp but if i take your words for granted on how ppsspp works then is behind jpcsp in requirements since that will load 4k without higher requirements so it seems ppsspp is having some serious issues (as always and reason of people not wanting to update)

And it seems you still don't understand how it should work texture replacing if the name is random and not a real name or game hash obviously will never work because is not something real from the game this is why i asked "Has this feature worked before" because taking for example jpcsp it will extract the original texture of the game and will make the procedure
.- check if there is a texture replacement for file XXXX.png
.- there is a replacement for file XXXX.png load said file instead of original
.- if not load default textures
Reason of why has higher requirements on certain points.
Normally random hash are troublesome and this feature had several problems after seeing the comments and never worked as intended since will generate 2 to 100 random hashes for same file texture so does this work or not.

Normally i'm against this but i want you to make a video of dumping the texture,editing said texture,and loading the game with the texture replaced either vulkan opengl or whatever backend without interruptions to prove your point and that it works, since this feature has never worked in the past after checking comments

What versions of ppsspp i tested well almost every version since the launched this feature and none worked only exceptions would be the crippled ones which i jumped (those that have inferior performance and made on purpose that way since gold version of the same worked better)
01-03-2020, 04:38 PM
Stop trolling Tabris. You were banned for defamation on some forums and it seems it's your hobby to go around and post made up stories about random things that put projects, people or their work in a bad light. It's easy to Google you know, negativity is not creative and telling people to waste time just to prove you things work is just bs.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
01-08-2020, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2020 08:14 PM by Tabris666.)
(01-03-2020 04:38 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Stop trolling Tabris. You were banned for defamation on some forums and it seems it's your hobby to go around and post made up stories about random things that put projects, people or their work in a bad light. It's easy to Google you know, negativity is not creative and telling people to waste time just to prove you things work is just bs.
I haven't been banned from forums in fact most forum i participated either deleted account for being offline, servers changes or similar stuff,the only forum i was banned was mugenarchive but was because they started making piracy and i complained about that.

Besides on github i mentioned this and the fact ppsspp is becoming crippleware for free users some time ago since gold version should be the same as free version but performance on both is like heaven and earth since performance is superior on gold version some time ago.

Is not my fault if some people get offended for someone telling the truth,for example you keep making claims that this works (texture replacing) but you haven't proven anything,besides ppsspp had a problem with hashes on texture dumping and that problem hasn't been solved at all it seems.

Could it be you are mad because of the modified ppsspp shaders i posted on certain forum which i edited from the originals that made the game look way better even on 1x resolution and i didn't mention anyone or asked for permision and never allowed the usage outside the forum.
01-09-2020, 03:16 AM
You're experienced at trolling, but I'm experienced at PPSSPP and not giving a shit about what BS people write here.

1. I googled your name because you behave like a retard all around and other places you're registered also know you in similar way including those you weren't banned on yet, where people just ignore your posts. I have no clue about any "shaders you modified", if it's my customizable shader it exists for the sole purpose of users modyfing it to their liking with default values being oversaturated examples because every person has different "best looking effects", it's an extremely subjective topic varrying between person and even his games and people claiming they created best looking one are just idiots who can't understand this.
2. PPSSPP texture scaling works, we have whole subforum for texture packs now where people proving that and nobody here has to prove you anything.
3. Texture hash changing is caused by HOW PSP games work, not by how PPSSPP works, they re-use texture space in memory, we have features to help in that, but texture replacement will never work equally easily in every game, in some it might be even hard and in most of them a SMART use of textures.ini will be REQUIRED, this might be above your skillset and understanding by the looks of it.
4. Texture scaling will probably still not work in QT builds because nobody cares to support it at least nobody did AFAIR in the past, in SDL version as well as in every other officially supported platform, it works fine.
5. GOLD is a form of donation, it does NOT differ in any shape or form from BLUE version outside of color and missing links also gold doesn't have buildbot, so it's usually outdated compared to blue which anyone can download easily updated daily, both colors can be built without any problem by pretty much anyone who wants to, heck my personal builds are violet - it DOESN'T MATTER.
6. Only problem I have personally with you is the amount of SHIT you write which is simply NOT TRUE and can confuse new users. Even an complete idiot can just use search to find the difference between truth and your claims and most users will not even read existing discussions so it's not even that visible, yet you continue posting things which are NOT TRUE as it was some opressed truth and you being the hero that fights against the flow, where you're just an useless troll who goes around the net to irritate people with his weird claims.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.