Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Playing 3d games at these specs:
04-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Playing 3d games at these specs:
I have an Android Phone (Micromax A116 Canvas HD)

It's a Quadcore Phone on MTK

CPU Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7
GPU PowerVR SGX544

Do you guys think 3d games would run on this phone?
Like for example this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05EOj7OqRw

Thank you so much!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2013, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2013 11:00 AM by Carter07.)
RE: Playing 3d games at these specs:
Cortex A7 is a little less powerful than cortex A9 clock by clock so perf should be similar to A9@1,0ghz, quad core doesn't make a difference in ppsspp (but dual will in the future).
Gpu is quite good and will not be a bottleneck when the alpha test optimizations will be done.

Right now there are some 3d games that you can run full speed but the large majority won't. Expect this number to grow as the development progresses. Smile
04-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Good gpu... fast cpu. although theyr having problems with power vr at the moment, but yes i think you will eventually see good to full speedSmile If you dont i dont stand a prayr lol
04-16-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm sorry I posted the incorrect specs Sad

The CPU is actually: 1.2GHz quad-core MT6589 processor
and the same GPU of PowerVR SGX544 Smile
04-16-2013, 09:52 AM
But whwhatabout tegra tablet that use 4 cores
04-16-2013, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 06:50 PM by kevke96.)
I tested Twin Brave on my Android and I think that you should get it running about half-speed (30-40fps) if youre lucky. Tegra 3 tablets wont have problems with running it fullspeed.
You should keep in mind though, that this isnt a demanding game and there are a lot of games that are very slow on any mobile device.

Windows 7 x64: Intel Core i5 4570 @3.6 Ghz, ATI Radeon HD 7870
Android 4.4.2 (CM11): Samsung Galaxy S3 @ 4x1.6 Ghz CPU, 600Mhz GPU
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-16-2013, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 04:54 PM by VIRGIN KLM.)
I have 3 devices that have exactly the same chipset, 2 of them are exactly the same phone model but with a different ROM. All of them perform significaly differently speed and quality wise on PPSSPP. Adding to the fact that PowerVR is a bit problematic on PPSSPP means that any suggestion is a bit over-optimistic or really vague. This is the world of computing... :/ Even the slightest factor that you could ever even imagine that could affect something can be proven taxing to the final outcome. Like in Android, there are so many factors that it gets 10 times messier than PC world. For example, there is a device that shares exactly the same internals with an other, yet since one of those companies has a bad reputation (or is really cheap generaly) ends up having a bad implementation of Open GL ES 2, then it's enough to kill completely the expectations. Secondly there is a device that again shares the same internals with an other but the chipset has more responsive and more good clock-by-clock rate than the other one yet the chipset has exactly the same name and the device does not indicate the revision. The habit of giving specs and expect a general idea of how your PC will perform is already a bad way of virtualy benchmark a device, now this is on CISC computing, on Android that is RISC computing this is completely silly since for example, the clock rates of a RISC based core is not doing the same thing a CISC core does with it's clocks at all, it's a completely different idea of computing. And the list goes on unfortunately on the Android market. Sad
04-16-2013, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 07:12 PM by kevke96.)
My assumptions were actually based on this. I got my Android phone only 2 weeks ago and Im still trying to understand the internals. I do understand that different chipsets with the same processors are not equally fast, but I thought that the difference isnt too much.
P.s.: I know that normal benchmarks are a bad match for emulators.

04-16-2013, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 08:10 PM by stodag.)
@kevke96.. when fully optimised.. you shouldnt have any probs runnin thisSmile as i understand galaxy s3 already has good speeds and we havent even introduced to dual thread etc. Also a single core cpu runnin at 1.6 ghz is quick ... If i was you i wouldnt worrySmile

Also im not sure weather dual thread would be as good a bottlenekkin... For gaming usually the GPU is the bottleneck as the CPU and RAM are not taxed as much as the GPU. In some instances, like the first response, the RAM can be the bottleneck. The better the gpu the better the performance...Smile
04-16-2013, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 09:20 PM by kevke96.)
Just realizing I sounded like a total noob in that post.XD Originally I wanted to wait until we get proper x86 cores in phones before buying an Android, but it was a steal for the price I paid and I needed some phone to play on, because I killed all my handhelds a long time ago. The raw performance of the processor may be great, but the RAM of this thing is a joke. Its slow as hell and Android itself eats up 0,7 of 1gb which is not bearable considering that Firefox needs 150mb alone and I do a lot of stuff in the background (i had a lot of hard resets...), so I flashed the kernel and stripped Touchwiz to the core. Its quite useable now, but Im not satisfied with it. Im drifting away arent I?
Back to topic: I was more worried about an ARMv6 processor in combination with a cheap chipset than my own phone. My own one I can test, I dont really have an idea how it compares to other ones though, because this is my first.
Also: Think about an application that uses 4x1,4ghz productively without using more than 500mb RAM. Does anything useful come to mind?

04-16-2013, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 10:26 PM by stodag.)
Henrik said, ppsspp only requires 100mb of ram so youd be ok with this emuSmile

Ram wouldnt be a problem and your gpu should smoke this... Like i eaid before.. im holdin out hope for my power vrSmile if you dont eventually achive full speed iv no chance. Smile

Also if your new here, i dont think you could appreciate how slow it was compared to now, Its a lot quicker now than 2 months back..