Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Playing portably on Windows 10?
07-25-2019, 06:15 AM
Playing portably on Windows 10?
I'm relatively new to using PPSSPP, but I was wondering if it's possible to use the emulator completely portably on an external HDD drive. Yes, I know that you can just copy-paste the settings in C:\User\Documents every time, but I was hoping there'd be a more portable solution.

Henrik Rydgard, the dev, was also a co-developer of Dolphin (the GCN/Wii emulator). For that emulator, you can create a folder called "User" in the same folder as the emulator application with the settings.

Maybe there's something similar for PPSSPP?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2019, 11:34 AM
RE: Playing portably on Windows 10?
All emulator's data is saved in "(PPSSPP main folder)/memstick/PSP", so can literally copy and paste the PPSSPP main folder to your external driver and your save data and settings will be safe in there.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
08-02-2019, 06:43 AM
(07-25-2019 06:15 AM)firestriker_07 Wrote:  I'm relatively new to using PPSSPP, but I was wondering if it's possible to use the emulator completely portably on an external HDD drive. Yes, I know that you can just copy-paste the settings in C:\User\Documents every time, but I was hoping there'd be a more portable solution.

Henrik Rydgard, the dev, was also a co-developer of Dolphin (the GCN/Wii emulator). For that emulator, you can create a folder called "User" in the same folder as the emulator application with the settings.

Maybe there's something similar for PPSSPP?

Instead of the installer, download the Zip file of PPSSPP and unpack it to the drive/directory of your choice. It will save all its data (settings, game saves, save states, etc) to that directory. It's only the installed version of PPSSPP that saves to the User\Documents directory.
08-02-2019, 08:52 AM
(08-02-2019 06:43 AM)Rekrul Wrote:  (...)
It's only the installed version of PPSSPP that saves to the User\Documents directory.

Not actually true.

Installed version does add an empty file called installed.txt which tells PPSSPP to use "my documents", this file can be creaded manually for same reason, it can also contain a path to specify where memstick location should be stored. Other way around it can also be deleted without re-downloading a zipped file to go back for using it's own directory.

However "my documents" path will also be used whenever PPSSPP can't write to otherwise used location, doesn't matter if the file exists or not.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
08-03-2019, 12:12 AM
(08-02-2019 08:52 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Not actually true.

Installed version does add an empty file called installed.txt which tells PPSSPP to use "my documents", this file can be creaded manually for same reason, it can also contain a path to specify where memstick location should be stored. Other way around it can also be deleted without re-downloading a zipped file to go back for using it's own directory.

However "my documents" path will also be used whenever PPSSPP can't write to otherwise used location, doesn't matter if the file exists or not.

OK, I didn't know about the installed.txt file. I only installed PPSSPP once as a test before giving a copy to someone else. I always use a copy I unzipped for myself.

I should have said that the installed version is the only one that uses "my documents" by default.