Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Using a mouse as a controller
04-15-2019, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2019 04:26 PM by Kidbooo.)
Using a mouse as a controller
Hello everyone,,
First off, let me state that I know full well that using a mouse to fake button presses for moving the camera is never going to be the same as real mouse support. I'm perfectly 100% OK with that.
mobdro lucky patcher kodi
The problem is that unless I'm doing something wrong, PPSSPP's implementation of mouse control doesn't seem to work very well.

I've enabled mouse support in the control section, the sensitivity is turned up to max, but yet when I go to control mapping and click the "M", I have to move the mouse a lot to get it to recognize that I'm moving the mouse. This problem carries over into the game. On Syphon Filter's default settings, moving the mouse barely makes the camera twitch. I have to turn them all up to max and even then, it still feels sluggish.

You might say that this is just the nature of using a mouse in place of buttons, but you'd be wrong. There's a program called GlovePIE that can read the mouse and output key presses to fool programs. I used the following script to allow the mouse movements to send the default keys that PPSSPP uses for the face buttons;

Code:
s = delta(Mouse.DirectInputY) < -1
z = delta(Mouse.DirectInputY) > 1
a = delta(Mouse.DirectInputX) < -1
x = delta(Mouse.DirectInputX) > 1

Using this, the game is MUCH more responsive than PPSSPP's own mouse support, even with the game settings at the default.

Mission accomplished, right? Unfortunately no. Using a program/script that translates mouse movements into key presses messes with all sorts of things while you're just trying to run the program or even to select games from the opening screen because PPSSPP keeps seeing key presses as you move the mouse.

Also, there's apparently no way to permanently hide the mouse pointer in fullscreen. When you move the mouse, it re-appears, and you'll kind of be moving the mouse a lot if you're using it for controlling the camera. Apparently the only way around this, since it was deemed not important that PPSSPP permanently hide the pointer in fullscreen mode, is to set Windows to use a blank pointer image, which makes even undoing the change a pain in the butt.

So the point is, why is PPSSPP's native mouse input so slow and is there any way to increase it? Remember, the sensitively slider is at max.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2019, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2019 05:16 PM by LunaMoo.)
RE: Using a mouse as a controller
This has nothing to do with mouse sensitivity.

PPSSPP translates mouse as axis since that's the expected use case and when using it on buttons it later translates axis to buttons which happens only above certain angle and that's exactly the delay when used with buttons instead of axis.
I created a simple option to allow setting custom axis to button threshold, however it causes problems with very tiny values due to issue I explained in here which makes the option kind of bad. I do include that option in my custom builds through - in case anyone wants to try.

Window or borderless window(fullscreen) doesn't really matter. Mouse cursor will NOT reappear only when mouse control is used, if you were using it and it happened anyway, then it's probably something you're doing or an app you're using as there are cases it has to reappear ~ when menu is opened(ie pressing alt or f10), you get out of the PPSSPP window(there's an option to trap cursor in PPSSPP window through) or if any other software or window get's on top.

Also your post looks kind of like a copy paste of some older thread, you could read all of this faster if you used search, nothing changed from back then.

Edit: derp, it's not just looks like, it IS exact copy of the older thread, meaning it's just some secondary account of that dude or I just replied to a copy paste bot.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply