Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Game plays worse/slower in newer versions: Is this considered regression?
04-03-2019, 03:50 PM
RE: Game plays worse/slower in newer versions: Is this considered regression?
(04-03-2019 09:30 AM)Rekrul Wrote:  I haven't played Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition in a while. The other day I loaded it up in 1.8.0 and noticed that the game was stuttering and randomly slowing down, even when set to 1:1 resolution and only 2x filtering. I thought this was strange as I don't remember it having any problems on the same system in the past.

So I went back to 1.6.3, which was the last official release I was using and the game runs silky smooth. In fact, I can bump the resolution up to 4x and put the filtering on 16x and it still runs better than 1:1/2x do in 1.8.0. The main menu runs worse and the sound stutters there, but the game itself plays perfectly.

I tried to isolate when the slowdown started, but after testing a bunch of versions, it just seems to be progressive and hard to nail down. Sometimes it will slow down/stutter, sometimes not. The only consistent factor was that each version I tested after 1.6.3 seemed to be worse than the previous version. The random slowdowns would happen more frequently.

This is in the Windows 32-bit version running on;

2.4Ghz Core-2-Duo
GT430 graphics card
4GB RAM
Onboard sound
Windows XP SP3 (yes, I know it's outdated)

Would the fact that later versions have trouble running this on the same hardware be considered a regression, or would it just be chalked up to later versions having steeper system requirements than older versions?

Go to your nVidia Control Panel -> go to "manage 3d settings" on the left and on the right in global settings click on OpenGL rendering GPU - from the drop down select your graphics card (GT 430), if it is not already. this should assist in a lot of other ways. Usually it is on Auto select which in turn uses the generic directx. Try the above and do let me know please.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game plays worse/slower in newer versions: Is this considered regression? - Dipen - 04-03-2019 03:50 PM