Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is macOS no longer supported?
12-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Is macOS no longer supported?
Recently I've noticed that no new builds have been compiled for macOS. The last build available is 1.6.3-578, but its compilation has failed, so, if I download it, I only get some folders and no actual PPSSPPSDL.app file. The last build that actually works is 1.6.3-456.
Is there a bug in the buildbot that has gone unnoticed, or macOS is officially not supported anymore?
It looks reasonable to be true, because Apple has deprecated OpenGL starting from macOS 10.14 (Mojave) and some extensions have been confirmed to no longer work. As a result, some applications and games don't work properly on Mojave.
Is it eventually true?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2018, 03:21 AM
RE: Is macOS no longer supported?
The macOS and iOS buildbot is a bit less stable and more frequently fail.

We haven't changed anything about macOS or made any active decision to reduce support for it. That said, it has not really received the same attention Android and Windows receive, even before now.

I did start playing with a Metal backend, but lost a bit of interest (MoltenVK may make more sense, potentially, and I only have the one testing device for Metal.) One way or another (whether it's MoltenVK, me getting interested in Metal again, or someone else contributing something) it's likely that something will eventually happen to continue macOS support.

See here for more info:
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/10654

-[Unknown]
12-12-2018, 04:55 PM
RE: Is macOS no longer supported?
Good to know, thanks. In my opinion, MoltenVK would be a better approach, since there's a Vulkan backend already, plus it will be easier to maintain. This is what they did with Dolphin emulator. It still has issues, but maybe in the longterm that is the better solution.