Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PSN Games?
08-04-2018, 12:06 PM
PSN Games?
Oh hey, how's it going? I'm a new PPSSPP user and I've found it absolutely brilliant so far, way better than I was expecting a PSP emulator to be, so many thanks to all involved in the development of it.

I've only had one issue so far and that's getting PSN games to work. I downloaded Gate of Thunder and Winds of Thunder, for example - both PC Engine games available on PSN - but with both of them when I try to run them it just says 'loading' forever. All the proper PSP games work immediately without any issues.

Do the PSN games work on the emulator? If so, am I doing something wrong? Many thanks in advance for any help or advice Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2018, 03:33 AM
RE: PSN Games?
No they unfortunately do not. That includes PSOne games as well. Only PSP games work with this emulator.
08-05-2018, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2018 12:07 PM by LunaMoo.)
That's not exactly true. PPSSPP only supports native PSP games/apps which basically means everything except PS1 games as they are using emulator existing on PSP firmware which PPSSPP will never have. All the other non native to PSP games like PC Engine games however are using their own emulator included with each game and those work fine at most will have typical problems to all other emulated games like might not work with texture scaling(but still can be upscaled via 5XBR shader etc).

Such games however come with DLC's where the "game" is just an emulator while the DLC is ROM for that emulator so you have to place the DLC in the correct folder the game wants it to be, otherwise it will not work and your black screen is just emulator not seeing the rom it should have. They cannot work without DLC as of course the DLC is the actual game:].

For example with Gate of Thunder, copy all files from USRDIR and it's subfolder called CONTENT to memstick\PSP\GAME\NPJJ30011, then copy SAVEDATA and SAVEICON folders there as well(some of those might not be needed, but whatever;p, also different games might have different files and not all of those files absolutely have to run from GAME folder, but it's lightweight enough that it doesn't matter really) and boot the game from PSP homebrew/demo tab, note you'll also have to confirm some emulator screens when booting the game and save before you reach the title:

Here's also an example from Neo Geo game:

this for example had only eboot.pbp in content and ISO.BIN.EDAT(which isn't needed), so it can be placed anywhere and it will run, just avoid original folder structure as extracted pkg's end up with folder structrure that PPSSPP will see as a savedata from inside it's file browser.;3

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
08-07-2018, 05:38 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2018 05:39 AM by LG Fanatic.)
Ah, I see. Thanks for the correction LunaMoo. Smile
09-13-2018, 04:09 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2018 04:11 AM by Tabris666.)
(08-05-2018 11:12 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  That's not exactly true. PPSSPP only supports native PSP games/apps which basically means everything except PS1 games as they are using emulator existing on PSP firmware which PPSSPP will never have. All the other non native to PSP games like PC Engine games however are using their own emulator included with each game and those work fine at most will have typical problems to all other emulated games like might not work with texture scaling(but still can be upscaled via 5XBR shader etc).

Such games however come with DLC's where the "game" is just an emulator while the DLC is ROM for that emulator so you have to place the DLC in the correct folder the game wants it to be, otherwise it will not work and your black screen is just emulator not seeing the rom it should have. They cannot work without DLC as of course the DLC is the actual game:].

For example with Gate of Thunder, copy all files from USRDIR and it's subfolder called CONTENT to memstick\PSP\GAME\NPJJ30011, then copy SAVEDATA and SAVEICON folders there as well(some of those might not be needed, but whatever;p, also different games might have different files and not all of those files absolutely have to run from GAME folder, but it's lightweight enough that it doesn't matter really) and boot the game from PSP homebrew/demo tab, note you'll also have to confirm some emulator screens when booting the game and save before you reach the title:

Here's also an example from Neo Geo game:

this for example had only eboot.pbp in content and ISO.BIN.EDAT(which isn't needed), so it can be placed anywhere and it will run, just avoid original folder structure as extracted pkg's end up with folder structrure that PPSSPP will see as a savedata from inside it's file browser.;3
Well they work since they make the correct call which are emulated by ppsspp other games that use hardware unemulated by ppsspp wont work at all.
Sadly the performance of those is quite low since are emulators on an emulator is similar to ppsspp working slow when using a cpu speed of 333 mhz on settings,those errors are proof of emulation state on ppsspp is similar to capped speed on 64 bit (128 mb to 182 mb of ram top) weird even when using the load iso to ram
Sadly this emulator would work better if they added the firmware (there was an emu that used psp firmware but they retired because people moved to jpcsp) still unknown reason for not adding firmware (several emulators have proven that using official firmware will help with increased performance)
Something i forgot is psn games arent pkg they are pbp packed since pkg is the format of ps3 games
09-13-2018, 11:28 PM
No, no and once more no. @Tabris666 is a troll who doesn't understand even basics of things he claims to be an expert on, for anyone reading this in the future, please ignore his post(s) as they will just confuse you.

While I shouldn't even answer a troll, I still want to clear some basics there.

First of all "non PSP native" games that come with their built-in emulator aren't "slow", depending on their emulator they might be very hard to emulate properly(see Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower as an example as it requires software rendering for proper graphics), however most of them like those which this thread was about aren't, many of them would actually be ultra light as they aren't using any advanced/hard-to-emulate techniques from PSP.

Also it's NOT true that emulators run faster or more accurate with firmware. There are HLE and LLE emulators out there, overall older generations will have more LLE stuff as they were pretty alien and simply using something like bios might be more accurate than an incomplete try to understand how it should work, however with newer generations HLE is easier and better to go with thanks to closer similarity to modern hardware. And that's the case with PSP, but even if someone would really be a try hard it would be easier to just write a new emulator than change PPSSPP to be low level enough to run firmware. Secondly it would add an extra complexity layer which would not make anything more accurate on it's own, but would require making everything more accurate to avoid problems that we don't have to worry now and as such would also become potentially much slower.

In short there's a reason why emulator devs are picking more HLE or more LLE for their emulator and you can be sure that people who write emulators know much more than some forum troll who's frustrated by his own lack of knowledge and wishful thinking.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
09-14-2018, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2018 03:22 PM by Tabris666.)
@lunamoo if you dont need to emulate firmware newbie there are more resources free in cpu,gpu and ram making the emulator run faster.
the firmware will make games more accurate this has been proven for a while almost every emulator that use firmware is faster and accurate with console firmware instead of the emulated firmware.
troll would be you lunamoo since your are denying things even when you claim you are an expert in fact you explanation looks scientific and advanced but is bullsh*t since barelly makes sense.
in fact most of his rage is because i proved points that are against what he said in fact is imposible to emulate most psn games because those use part of the firmware to work,the firmware is required to unencrypt the game (is me or the retarded barelly knew how encryption works on psn games or even the format of psn games)
10-08-2018, 01:25 AM
How do I download ROMs for psp I've tried almost every website I know I download the game but it could not play I also tried the test the app works find
I'm using a Mobile Android device