Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Midway Arcade Treasures - 30FPS?
05-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Midway Arcade Treasures - 30FPS?
Hello!

I've recently discovered PPSSPP and I am amazed at how much this emulator evolved. I have a question for Midway Arcade Treasures: Extended Play. Some games, like MK2 and MK3 seems to run at 30fps, while MK1 (and other games for example), runs at 60FPS.

I remember the PSP had "ghost frame effect" that could trick me games are smoother, but i do believe they ran at higher fps on original hardware.

Is this a known issue or the games run like that?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2018, 01:54 PM
RE: Midway Arcade Treasures - 30FPS?
Its the other way around. Games on real PSP sometimes ran even at 20 FPS, I think I have seen even 15 FPS stuff. They introduced a type of interframe blending, so the games seemed smoother. Most PSP games run at 30 FPS. There are some rare ones that run at 60.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
05-27-2018, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2018 05:55 PM by gir489.)
RE: Midway Arcade Treasures - 30FPS?
You were lucky if you hit 20 FPS on most games, because of throttling. It was even worse on the battery, sometimes you'd get 15FPS.

This is just a byproduct of High Level Emulation. Instead of doing 1:1 perfect emulation, the emulator is translating MIPS in to x86 and running it like an actual windows application. Because the CPUs in desktops (even at the time!) are like 100x better than the PSP CPU which is basically just a portable PS1 CPU, the games run at a solid 30 FPS in most cases.

I don't see how this is a problem. If you REALLY don't like it, you can set a 20 or 15 FPS limit in the emulator if you want terrible performance...