Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Burnout Legends & Dominator PPSSPP 1.3.0.1 Android
02-17-2017, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2017 01:09 PM by CrackEdd.)
Burnout Legends & Dominator PPSSPP 1.3.0.1 Android
Hi,
I’m hoping someone with more experience using this emulator can help me. I’m trying to get both of the Burnout games running smoothly on my phone (Axon 7 - Snapdragon 820), but seem to have issues with both.
Basically, it seems as though, in each game, ‘The Sun’ is causing huge fps drops.

The base settings I mostly use for PPSSPP are the following (They seem to work for the most part, although tweaks are welcome):

Graphics:
Backend – OpenGL
Mode – Buffered Rendering
Simulate… - On

Frame skipping – Off
Auto Frame skip – Off
Prevent FPS… - ON
Alternative Speed – 100%

Post processing Shader – FXAA
Immersive Mode – On

Rendering resolution – 2x PSP
Display Resolution – Native Device Resolution
Mipmapping – On
Hardware Transform – On
Software Skinning – On
Vertex Cache – On
Lazy Texture Caching – On
Retain Changed Textures – Off
Disable Slower Effects – Off
Spline/Bezier – Low

Anisotropic Filtering – Off
Texture Filtering – Linear
Screen Scaling – Linear

Timer Hack – On
Disable Alpha – Off
Disable Stencil Test – Off
Force Depth Write – Off
Texture Coord Speed hack – Off
Lower Resolution for Effects – Off

System:
Fast Memory – On
Multithreaded – Off
I/O on Thread – On
I/O Timing Method – Host
Force Real Clock – Off
Change Emulated PSP CPU Clock – Auto
Rewind Snapshot – Off

Burnout Legends:
With the outlined settings, the game is almost fully playable. However, whenever the sun needs to be rendered, everything slows to a crawl.

I have piddled around with the settings to make it better, but most settings seem to have little effect, including Rendering Resolution. However, if I switch the Mode to ‘Skip Buffer Effects’, the game works at full speed, at all times, but the sun has a black square around it (Which I don’t care about), but also a game breaking ‘White Fog’ appears in the areas where my FPS tanks.

Burnout Dominator:
Similarly to Legends, the game is almost fully playable with the above settings. I would actually say it works a little better. However, with this game anytime the suns bloom appears, the FPS tanks dramatically, and rapidly.

Again, I have tried tweaking the settings to make it better, with little success. Also, unlike Legends, if I switch to ‘Skip Buffer Effects’, the game becomes completely unplayable. Instead of a white fog, you get a black one, which obscures more of the screen.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips for me about how I can refine my settings to remove the momentary issues that seem to be caused by the sun, I would be very grateful. Although, please don’t suggest turning on Frame skipping. I find it way too choppy and unpleasant.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2018, 09:59 AM
RE: Burnout Legends & Dominator PPSSPP 1.3.0.1 Android
I just figured out that the setting called "Disable Stencil Test" can change the brightness. If you enable it, the screen goes more darker, but might fix some texture glitches (like boxes in particles). And if you disable it, the screen goes more bright, but textures might glitch out.
06-01-2018, 07:52 PM
RE: Burnout Legends & Dominator PPSSPP 1.3.0.1 Android
The slowness of the sun is caused by the game reading back the image from the framebuffer, which is much more expensive on modern hardware than it was on the PSP. I have some plans for fixing this with Vulkan sometime in the future. You can also turn off "simulate block transfer effects" but it'll probably break the sun just as when you turn off buffered rendering.