Poll: Would you like to see PPSSPP on Xbox
yes
no
why do i care its not the 360
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Porting To Original Xbox
04-08-2013, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 02:10 PM by Dwightyone.)
RE: Porting To Original Xbox
Mm.... just reading up a little.

I never owned the first line of PSP but they only had 32mb of internal memory. Then PSP 2001 came out with 64mb of RAM but this extra RAM is to improve loading times. It does not improve performance gameplay etc... Games which came out the same time as the release of the PSP 2001 and PSP 3000 all work, and are compatible with the original PSP with its 32MB.

I would go ahead and try to run PPSSPP in X-DSL. Theroretically the PSP needs 32mb and the Xbox has 64mb and X-DSL use's about 10mb. That means you'd have 20mb spare.

Also, I don't know for sure, but maybe the Xbox RAM is a faster RAM than the one in the PSP. Also, I could be wrong, but doesn't the Xbox also use some virtual RAM on the hard drive (Yes it is slower) to help out with loading.

Of course, all of the above may not make a difference. I've never used Linux before. I might even try it myself once I've learnt how to do the basics like how to install PPSSPP and how to get it to run through X-DSL.

Where are you opening poster ???

I'm working my ass off for you here! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2013, 12:59 PM
I belive Henrik said that it not possible. Sorry if i'm wrong, but i think he said so.

PC Specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 (Sapphire Vapor-X)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.9GHz (OC)
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz
MB: ASRock AB350 Pro4
04-08-2013, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 02:14 PM by Dwightyone.)
Don't go spoiling my dreams! Tongue Henrik said it may be possible, in this thread. Both the Xbox 1 and Wii are listed as PPSSPP possible on the developent page too.

If it's do-able on the Wii (I'll start looking about to see if anyone is working on) then it should/may run on the Xbox 1.

If the OP decides to do a direct port, i'm here ready to test it, the OP and me love a challenge. Big Grin
04-08-2013, 03:01 PM
(04-08-2013 01:57 PM)Dwightyone Wrote:  Don't go spoiling my dreams! Tongue Henrik said it may be possible, in this thread. Both the Xbox 1 and Wii are listed as PPSSPP possible on the developent page too.

If it's do-able on the Wii (I'll start looking about to see if anyone is working on) then it should/may run on the Xbox 1.

If the OP decides to do a direct port, i'm here ready to test it, the OP and me love a challenge. Big Grin

As u wish.

PC Specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 (Sapphire Vapor-X)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.9GHz (OC)
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz
MB: ASRock AB350 Pro4
04-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks. I knew rubbing that lamp long enough would bring out the genie and grant my wishes. Big Grin
04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Yeah, in X-DSL virtual memory will probably save you from the RAM problem.

However, I think the hardest issue will be GPU emulation. There isn't an OpenGL ES 2.0 implementation for the Xbox GPU, and it can't really support it fully either (it can do the vertex but not the pixel shaders). However most of the pixel shader setups for the PSP _can_ probably be emulated on the Xbox GPU, it does have ~pixel shader 1.4, it will be hard work though.

Again, I think it's likely to be just barely possible and really not worth the trouble Smile
04-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Mm... Food for thought!

Maybe if you get some spare time you could re-write PPSSPP to use Direct3D instead Henrik? Smile

@Moderators - I'm only joking, this is not a request really! It's really not!!

So in a nutshell, the OP would need to port the opengl libaries onto a hacked Xbox. I have a feeling that the OP plans for his Xbox PPSSPP project weren't going to be as grand as this. Big Grin

Ok, thanks for the reply Henrik.
08-01-2014, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 05:35 PM by Clessy.)
Im interested in this even if it only comes off as a proof of concept. Its always fun to see people try to do unique things.

I think a custom video rendered would need to be wrote and I also believe that a lot of whats wrote would need to be vastly optimized and very specific to the xbox.

Issue is no one really knows how to code in Assembler anymore and optimization aint like it use to be. Hell I mean this is a very very good emulator and its very fast but, then you turn around and we got jpcsp and that friggin wrote in Java and slow as crap. Why anyone would really atempt to make a emulator is java is beyond me.

Oh and im sure this topic is old as shit so sorry for a bump on and especially on my very first post.
08-03-2014, 04:00 AM
There's plenty of assembler and jit code in PPSSPP. A lot of it has indeed been optimized.

There's a Direct3D 9 in-progress backend that was used for the Xbox 360 port. But, still would not hold high hopes of getting great performance.

-[Unknown]
08-03-2014, 04:36 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 04:36 AM by TheDax.)
Leaving GPU features aside, the main issues are the lack of RAM and CPU speed (64M and 733mhz Pentium-III-esque Celeron, iirc, so no SSE2). PPSSPP doesn't need a ton of RAM, but it usually uses at least 80-100MB on a PC, depending. Even with the rare RAM upgrade to 128MB, it'd still be pusing it.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
08-03-2014, 08:40 AM
If you really want this I'm afraid you're gonna have to do it yourself, and it will only be able to play simpler games, and that only with the 128MB upgrade indeed, most likely. So it seems like way too much work for something that maybe 10 people will ever use. Most people have moved on from the original Xbox many years ago...
01-16-2016, 11:16 AM
(04-06-2013 01:25 AM)korn788 Wrote:  i see what your saying but im up for a challenge but i don't really want to wait all that time if no one want it

:::
today is 16.01.2016 : Please do your best to make this dream come true
lots of people still enjoy xbox , i've got 2 xbox (s) and i am willing to fix
the 3rd one , lots of my amigos still enjoy xbox gaming ,

i registred here just to tell you that i'll vote for "yes" a million times if i could