Poll: Would you like to see PPSSPP on Xbox
yes
no
why do i care its not the 360
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Porting To Original Xbox
04-05-2013, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 11:57 PM by korn788.)
Question Porting To Original Xbox
Exclamation(First let me start off by saying that even though i've just made this account im not spaming or doing anything just to get a laugh or anything back with the normal program)
So i saw the website say that it could be possible to write ppsspp to the original xbox but im was looking at the specs of the psp and well i think with the original xbox only having 64mb of ram its going to be hard now i know only the 2000s and up have only 64mb or ram but how much does each game really take im really think about porting it over to the xbox (not the 360) if all goes to plan question is who would want it
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2013, 12:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 12:40 AM by VIRGIN KLM.)
RE: Porting To Original Xbox
There's just so many bad facts about the original XBOX that I doubt anyone would bother doing the tough job porting it.
1. The console is obsolete. There are not many people involved to it anymore and the ones who do don't have the knowledge to port it.
2. The hardware is too weak to archieve good results out of it so the project will seem more like a POC than an actual working, enjoyable emulator, so it will look more or less like NDS and DC emus for PSP.
04-06-2013, 01:25 AM
i see what your saying but im up for a challenge but i don't really want to wait all that time if no one want it
04-06-2013, 01:50 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 01:51 AM by [Unknown].)
Well, I don't think Xbox is practical, but if you want to give it a shot, I'm sure it'll be a rich experience.

Anyway, I'd assume the only way to even possibly get reasonable performance would be to implement a PowerPC jit, which would benefit Wii/360/PS3 porting options along the way as well.

Edit: no, I'm wrong, it's x86? Actually, that's probably a good thing?

Although, I think the x86 jit may not support < Pentium 4.

-[Unknown]
04-06-2013, 02:06 AM
i think its easier to port xbox to ppsspp Smile
04-06-2013, 03:16 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 03:21 AM by VIRGIN KLM.)
Just because a hardware barrely meets the requirements to emulate PSP it doesn't mean that it will, would or should happen and even then in examples like XBOX the only sure thing is that it won't go further than a slow and buggy POC. The hardware is just not enough powerful to emulate anything harder than PSOne.
To make it sound more shocking, I believe you'd spend less time at porting it on XBOX than watching a supposed 2 minute cuscene in the port you just did, yes the emulation will be that slow.
04-06-2013, 07:49 AM
I voted yes. I voted yes because I still own my original hacked Xbox. I still use it, and even though it is bordering impossible if I could just play one game on it (Silent Hill Origins) I'd live the rest of my days a very happy man.

I love the Silent Hill series more than my wife. If I could swap my wife for a hacked Xbox that could play Silent Hill Origins then yes I would.
04-06-2013, 09:11 AM
I think the general rule of emulation is that if your hardware is atleast 3x more powerful, then you have fairly good chances that the emulator will work at playable speed.
04-06-2013, 09:39 AM
The Xbox 1 is powerful enough that I think it could be possible to get at least less-demanding games like Lumines working fine, and while I think it only supports SSE1, we don't really use much SSE2 functionality in the JIT so it's not really a problem.

However getting it into the 64MB of RAM will definitely be a squeeze, and will take quite a bit of work.

I don't really think it's worth the trouble but could be a fun exercise for someone maybe.
04-07-2013, 12:52 AM
well ok then i going to DO it! it sounds like fun and im hoping to learn something down the road like if i mess up my xbox or that xbox was still a powerful system for its time
04-07-2013, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 01:19 PM by Dwightyone.)
It seems like the original Xbox was only released yesterday. When I plug it in (which isn't that often lately) and play games on it my eyes are met with a graphical treat. Doom 3, Halo 2, Psychonauts the list is endless.

It seems folly that the original Xbox can't handle PSP games. If you can do it brilliant, but if you can't, like you said, sometimes the fun can be in just trying.

EDIT - Below is what I've read elsewhere note: It is not based on personal experience.

1. If you happen to have a spare one hanging around that fits, and you know what you're doing with regards to modding etc.. well, you could always upgrade the original Xbox's motherboard for one that has a 1.4 gigahertz Intel Celeron processor and 128 megabytes of RAM.

2. You could keep your original Xbox motherboard, and if you're handy with a soldering iron and know your way around motherboard circuitary, well, you could solder on a modchip and another 64mb memory giving you 128mb and then flash a new bios so the Xbox will recognize the new memory.

Besides, I've just realized. if you were to do this won't the end result be playing PSP games in just a tiny part of the TV screen. I think it will be the only way as you won't be able to stretch the image on a big TV without it looking like a pixelated mess.
04-07-2013, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 04:53 PM by Dwightyone.)
Hello again Big Grin

I was just thinking....

On my Xbox I have X-DSL (Damn Small Linux for Xbox - It's a Xbox port) installed.

PPSSPP works on Linux.

I wouldn't know how to do it as of right now, but maybe you could try getting PPSSPP to work on your Xbox via Damn Small Linux first. It's very lightweight in resources itself and in software size it weighs in at a mere 50mb so you MAY have joy with PSP minis etc..

It may not work, but you never know...

Of course, if you want to start from scratch to get PPSSPP working on Xbox then I'll move on and mind my own business. Big Grin
04-07-2013, 08:34 PM
(04-07-2013 04:49 PM)Dwightyone Wrote:  Hello again Big Grin

I was just thinking....

On my Xbox I have X-DSL (Damn Small Linux for Xbox - It's a Xbox port) installed.

PPSSPP works on Linux.

I wouldn't know how to do it as of right now, but maybe you could try getting PPSSPP to work on your Xbox via Damn Small Linux first. It's very lightweight in resources itself and in software size it weighs in at a mere 50mb so you MAY have joy with PSP minis etc..

It may not work, but you never know...

Of course, if you want to start from scratch to get PPSSPP working on Xbox then I'll move on and mind my own business. Big Grin
It's already wasting resources and the vital RAM part that makes XBOX being in the list of possible port devices. It is possible because in normal XBOX mode those resorces aren't used and even then it's just barely possible. Taking away even a bit from the resources would mean that it's under the minimum requirements. BTW, Just thought of that. Isn't PS2 MIPS? wouldn't we be able to port PPSSPP on PS2 and emulate PSP as host instead of recompiling the code which would mean that PS2 has enough resources to do it? RAM could be compressed too to overcome the memory issue. I ask it just technicaly if it would be idealy possible between MIPS based devices to do such thing.
04-08-2013, 04:51 AM
Waste power consumption!
04-08-2013, 07:58 AM
@Virgin Klm

Of course, I agree with you. That's why I suggested it may only run PSP minis though X-DSL when it comes to the left over memory in the Xbox.

I could be wrong here (I usually am Big Grin) but X-DSL in up and running mode, doing nothing, use's about 10mb memory and around 2% processer use. It may run basic PSP minis full speed etc...

Like I said, If you have the know how and the will to do it the best bet would be to double the Xbox memory to 128mb. I like the idea of the built in hard drive in the Xbox as well.