vulkan vs DirectX
01-30-2018, 04:35 AM
vulkan vs DirectX
is vulkan better than DirectX?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2018, 06:27 AM
RE: vulkan vs DirectX
Vulkan is to OpenGL what D3d12 is to D3d11. It's much better on Android devices with Vulkan. Wink
01-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Most code is shared between different backends, so differences will not be huge, but it's always good to have an option, in case there are games which might look better in different backends or simply suffering from driver issues that will not be present in other backends.

Vulkan will be fastest on devices limited by cpu or slow drivers, but will not be the lightest nor most stable since d3d11 beats it for that at least currently. In the future it will be the first or even only backend to get new cool things, however currently they all are close to what they can do so hype around it is generated by mobiles that otherwise only had a choice of gles and they had a really awful(both slow and buggy) drivers for it;p.

Personally my choice on desktop is still between OGL and D3d11, I really like Vulkan, but if I would only care to play games without issues that's just how it is and soon until Vulkan matures I will likely limit my choice to d3d11 since OGL will undergo heavy changes very likely introducing new problems.

I don't agree much on comparing OGL->Vulkan with D3d11->D3d12 since we don't care about d3d12 at all and almost no commercial games don't either just like they didn't about OGL. On desktops d3d11 drivers will be due to native pc games using it be very mature, usually problem-free and very optimized often winning despite low level api's like vulkan promising more for the future.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
01-31-2018, 11:39 AM
As a Linux/Android user, definitely Vulkan. Tongue~
01-31-2018, 07:35 PM
D3d12 needs people (gamers) to actually want to be on Windows 10 since Windows 7 still has over half the Windows market. Until that changes developers will mainly use d3d11 (since it is universal to the last 3 Windows OS) and OpenGL or Vulkan depending on the game, because why shoot off one of your own legs right before a race. With limited developers making d3d12 games there will be less bug fixes and optimizations because there is less data. So there will be less compelling reasons to need to use d3d12 and less reasons to switch to Win10.

Basically it is Vista and d3d10 all over again.

Vulkan supports basically everything it can (non proprietary to an OS for the win) and due to that it evolves at a faster pace and can have an immediate higher adoption rate then any DirectX could. Though it is still very early compared to d3d11, so it will take a while to get to the same maturity and stability (assuming they don't screw up royally and kill it along the way).