Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Controller lag on certain versions of windows?
01-17-2018, 05:11 PM
Controller lag on certain versions of windows?
Hey guys. First off I wanted to say that I really appreciate this emulator. Since it runs some of my favorite games far better than the original psp did, there's alot more depth to them now. This emulator is incredible.

My question is, on my regular pc running windows 7 using input mapper, the emu works great with no controller lag.

But I try to play the same game on a different machine using input mapper, and there's a small bit of controller lag. Its very noticeable, probably 1 full secondish.

I dont think it's a spec problem because the 2nd machine is more powerful than the first, cpu,gfx card and ramwise. Only the 2nd machine is running windows 10, instead of windows 7. I've tried turning off it's native game record thing and the lag still exists. Made sure vsync was off, etc.

Any ideas? Can't figure out what would change. thanks for the help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2018, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2018 05:46 PM by GuilhermeGS2.)
RE: Controller lag on certain versions of windows?
Are you using a PS4 controller? I use ScpToolKit for my PS3 controller, but it works for PS4 controllers too. I haven't noticed any lag, I use for emulators and games, the Windows recognize the controller as Xbox one, so you don't need to map or anything else.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
01-17-2018, 10:40 PM
RE: Controller lag on certain versions of windows?
So the first thing to test for is whether the lag is input lag or video lag-- which it seems you have done a decent job eliminating unless there is a video card\monitor thing with the 2nd machine that is adding the lag (like extra video processing on the monitor adding a delay)

The next thing to do is to figure out if the delay is system wide or application specific (really game specific would be the very next step but really application specific is more likely). Feel free to uae your favorite other software or game or emulator and see if the same input issue exists. If it does not then test something else just to make sure and if that is also input lag free then start checking PPSSPP for the source otherwise....

If it is system wide then I would try testing some other controller APIs since not all work the same across every version of an OS (or even the same after some updates of an OS). There might also be some weird interference from other installed programs\drivers. I personally had a weird issue with SCPtoolkit for a while that was causing Steam to do a crash loop if it was installed and it had to do with a a seperate adapter I had (and it's driver) for hooking up PS2 and PS1 controllers to USB. So Steam and SCPtoolkit wern't exactly the issue causing the crash loop.