Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Valkyria Chronicles 3 re-translation
12-31-2017, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2017 12:51 PM by LunaMoo.)
RE: Valkyria Chronicles 3 re-translation
That old/abandoned patch had many problems, to list a few I experienced myself:
- awful patching process requiring use of JPCSP, forcing user to install java and whatever jpcsp version works with that version of java since the included one is very ancient, then manually changing provided batch files, it also creates very long path which can cause the whole process to fail misreably leaving user with broken game copy,
- text goes out of text boxes which in many cases makes it unreadable, completely missing or going out of the screen,
- removes at least one Ace(in the "dlc" port mission) which also means removing his special drop(Hilde-M machine gun) and achievements,
- messed up gameID(uses standard version ID for no reason), which affects anyone who uses cheat databases, texture replacement or other gameID specific features, this might be easy to correct, but since most people will not fix it for themselves, it also means sharing gameID stuff with others might be confusing.

I would defend the translation itself through as while it didn't followed official english translations of the previous games, those official translations didn't followed original language either, so it's really a matter of preference, like with many things coming from japan, fans are always divided between sub & dub editions. As for me I don't really care, it was enjoyable or at least would be if not all the technical issues I listed earlier.

I'll use the menu only patch as my preference because I already know the story well, but while I wish this project best, I think it might be hard to find translator that would re-translate everything that was already done.

Contacting this person might be worth a try.
He/she wanted to finish and fix the existing translation, even if that's not the goal of this brand new translation, it might not require all that much editing to correct old translation to match official english translations of the older games better and that person also got into it again due to VC4.

~
This kind of made me feel like doing something for this game as well, so I might release my font/icon replacement for it after fixing some letters sizes;p, it's not perfect since I'm not a graphic person and not complete either, but I'm moving to a larger city first thing in new year speeding up my life a bit and might not have much time to do any better;c.

Anyway good luck on this translation, it's already best choice gameplay wise ^ that ace on the screenshot is the one missing in the older translation btw.

A happy new year to everyoneSmile.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Valkyria Chronicles 3 re-translation - LunaMoo - 12-31-2017 12:49 PM