Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Audio stutters on Linux
12-20-2017, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2017 05:25 PM by amenoko.)
Audio stutters on Linux
Hi,

I'm experiencing audio stutters when using PPSSPP on Arch Linux. I realize this may be due to a number of issues besides PPSSPP itself and I've tried a few things but nothing worked for me and I'd like to hear some input on this from someone who's more technically proficient than me if possible.

Some info:
- Arch Linux (current kernel Linux 4.14.6-1-ARCH)
- PPSSPP 1.5.4
- Intel i3 2.2GHz 2 cores, 12 GB RAM
- i915/Mesa graphics
- DE is XFCE with no compositor
- The game I'm trying to run is Ever17 (Japanese)

When I start the game and get to the main menu the music stutters, it sounds like there are buffer underruns. Now usually you'd think this is because of performance and I still believe this may be possible because of how old my hardware is, but consider this:
- It's a still frame with only music in the background
- I get about 60 fps consistently (though it drops to 59 occasionally or goes up to 62)
...so this should be more of a software issue, right?

Here are some of the things I've tried without success:
- Experimenting with PPSSPP settings (setting audio to high latency, using frameskip, changing buffer options, playing around with options that have anything to do with clock or timing)
- Changing the nice value of the emulator
- Using/not using Pulseaudio
- Changing fragments length and size and nice value in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf when using Pulseaudio

I may have possibly overlooked something, maybe I need a certain combination of settings in PPSSPP or something. I feel like there might be just one little setting somewhere in PPSSPP or in my system that I need to change to fix this because it doesn't seem like such a complex problem, but I don't nearly understand enough how the emulator nor the Linux audio system works to be able to work this out myself.

Thanks for any help in advance, have a nice day.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply