Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - HD Textures
11-11-2017, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2017 06:06 PM by WonkoTheSane.)
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - HD Textures
Heya! Big Grin

Do we have an existing repo of HD textures for monster hunter portable 3rd? If so I'd like to contribute to it. (couldn't find one in search)
Been playing around with the texture replacement feature. I want to introduce a friend to the series but don't want him to need to switch back and forth to a resource map... So I attempted an HD map mod with resource indicators.
I'd like to compile a full HD texture pack, sourced from stuff done before as well as me filling in the blanks...
Let me know if you all think this is a useful idea or if you know of some good existing textures for this game.

Check it out here:
github.com/David-vz/MonsterHunterPortable3rdHDRemake

Progress:

UI: ~40% done

HD Resource Maps:
Misty Peaks, Flooded Forest, Sandy Plains (+ sandy plains night), Deserted Island

Monsters:
Rathian, Great Jaggi, Gargwa, Zinogre, Lagombi, Bulldrome, Bullfango, Ludroth, Royal Ludroth, Volvidon, Nargacuga, Qurupeco

HD Map Textures:
Deserted Island ~60%
Sandy Plains ~25%

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2017, 08:16 PM
RE: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - HD Textures
Update:

So I've gone ahead and made a github repo for this little side project:
...github.com/David-vz/MonsterHunterPortable3rdHDRemake

So far i've got 4 maps completed, much of the HUD, retextured a gargwa and the gargwa animation in the distance.

Still looking for help, advice or even just people to test it out.
11-21-2017, 04:53 AM
Wow!! Great work!! I'll test it out and give you some feedback.
11-21-2017, 03:17 PM
(11-21-2017 04:53 AM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  Wow!! Great work!! I'll test it out and give you some feedback.

Thanks dude!
Let me know if you have trouble installing anything or whatever.

Will be adding another map tonight most likely.
11-25-2017, 05:34 AM
Massive update:

Much(most) of Deserted Island base textures have been finished in a crazy energy-drink fueled night of madness.

If you load up the pack and run through that map, most would be HD now.
Most of the source information is ripped from MH3u (wii U) and then upscaled using letsenhance.io and other upscalers, or possibly just brushed up in photoshop.

Some of the big monsters have been textured (go say hi to Rathian)

And a some of the base items for some maps like the tents and chests have been done.

Please try it out and let me know.
11-25-2017, 06:02 AM
The chest textures look great!! I also love the loading screen. It's much cleaner looking.
11-29-2017, 08:45 PM
(11-25-2017 06:02 AM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  The chest textures look great!! I also love the loading screen. It's much cleaner looking.

Hey dude, sorry it took me a while. Been a busy couple of days at work.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, cleaner is the goal.
Quick update:
Deserted Island is mostly done.

I've made some changes to how i'm approaching this project and will be going through phases on each map area by area.

Just released a really big update with over 60 new textures including most of Areas base,1 2 and i think 3 done for Sandy plains too.
11-30-2017, 07:42 PM
nice work <3
12-01-2017, 02:47 PM
niece i'm currently retex youkumo village with only the bathhouse to finish
12-02-2017, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2017 05:58 AM by WonkoTheSane.)
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

@Gigi:
A combination of stuff so far.
If exact same texture exists somewhere in a higher quality I try and use that as a base (I've tried to extract from the wii version with some success and the wii u version of 3u with very little success).
If that texture is high enough quality I leave it as is.
If not I then try and upscale it with as much quality preserved as possible, depending on the texture i'll use XBR, WAIFU2X, enhanceit.io's magic or regular mode.. often a combination of those on the same texture for whatever bit needs it.

For some stuff I'm going a manual route. I'll use the base texture upscaled as reference and then either find similar looking textures online and overlay till it looks right, or make assets myself. These take a lot longer to do.

So I am currently going for the low hanging fruits on the maps. If you look at deserted island and sandy plains for instance you'll see it looks mostly HD cause the most used textures in the maps have been done.

Giggi, we should talk buddy. Send me some shots of your Yukumo village and we can maybe start adding the textures to the repo! Many hands makes light work you know Smile
12-02-2017, 01:47 PM
Really nice job.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
12-02-2017, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 01:45 AM by kingvall.)
I'm going to try some texture on my side to see if I can help you, like extracting item images from 4u on 3ds or 3u on wiiu. sorry for my bad english I'm french ^^

EDIT : You try to use this ? http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12599

EDIT 2 : Here some models but i don't know if the quality is better than bases textures https://www.models-resource.com/wii/monsterhuntertri/

EDIT 3 : I started extracting all the texture of the Wiiu mh3u monster and I'm going well

EDIT 4 : A preview of the texture of the first monsters http://puu.sh/yyg9f/b7b8743838.7z
12-03-2017, 07:01 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 07:06 AM by WonkoTheSane.)
(12-02-2017 02:45 PM)kingvall Wrote:  I'm going to try some texture on my side to see if I can help you, like extracting item images from 4u on 3ds or 3u on wiiu. sorry for my bad english I'm french ^^

EDIT : You try to use this ? http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12599

EDIT 2 : Here some models but i don't know if the quality is better than bases textures https://www.models-resource.com/wii/monsterhuntertri/

EDIT 3 : I started extracting all the texture of the Wiiu mh3u monster and I'm going well

EDIT 4 : A preview of the texture of the first monsters http://puu.sh/yyg9f/b7b8743838.7z

Hey Kingval!

Thanks for the post. I have indeed been trying to get the textures from the wii u edition and have had only limited success.

I have used that as a basis for upscaling the Rathian and Great Jaggi texture for instance:
https://github.com/David-vz/MonsterHunte...ggi_01.png
and
https://github.com/David-vz/MonsterHunte...ody_01.png

However I am unable to get all the textures extracted Sad. For instance in the em006 folder, trying to open em006_BM just doesn't work and I cannot export whichever texture is in there. Same goes for most of the textures for me. I am not sure if I'm doing something wrong or how to fix it.

If you are able to get these textures where I've been failing that would be most excellent! Please let me know.

They aren't directly applicable to the PPSSPP version and do need a bit of work. Lighting isn't baked in for one and the textures need to be shaded to match the psp versions. But these do provide a MASSIVE boost to the process since they have much more information that mhp3rd's textures. Big Grin
12-03-2017, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 12:22 PM by kingvall.)
ho I thought the texture was directly usable on the psp version. I'll have to let you change them because I do not know how to do it. No worries for texture (em006 and other) it's a small bug that can be solved by changing the file size in hex (the offset).

puu.sh/yytp9/b9ea13cb37.png

EDIT : I upload here all texture i have extract
12-03-2017, 02:20 PM
hi here some screen of yokumo don't mind the ground texture i have to change them before: //i.imgur.com/KzGIhoh.png after: //i.imgur.com/PGTx6WC.png
Sorry for bad english i'm italian