Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto adjust emulated FPS
06-19-2017, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2017 06:24 PM by GuilhermeGS2.)
Auto adjust emulated FPS
Hey guys, I'd like to know if it's possible to add to emulator something that auto adjust the interal FPS to keep the emulation speed at 100%. I rather to have a low FPS rate and 100% emulation speed than higher FPS and slow motion gameplay. Dolphin already has something like this, I ran NFSU2 on my laptop, it's a 60 FPS game, but it drops to 40 or 30 when needed to keep a 100% emulation speed. This will help to run games better on smartphone, games like Soul Calibur Broken Destiny can't keep 60 FPS on my phone, it runs with 60 FPS and 60-90% of speed, Tekken 6 runs with 50-70% 60 FPS, I don't like to use frameskiping, it gives a bad experience gameplay. So, what about this?

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
Find all posts by this user
06-19-2017, 10:22 PM
RE: Auto adjust emulated FPS
That is not Dolphin per say on that game but what NFSU2 does naturally on the Gamecube. So if the game is made to run an unlocked framerate and then it adjusts more or less depending on the emulated X system CPU then that usually works fine. If a game is designed to run at X framerate and you slow down or speed up the framerate you will get time distortion effects, like audio issues or in some cases the game will break.
06-20-2017, 12:17 AM
But it's not only on NFS, that's just an example, also happens to other games I tested. I don't think it's a game feature, I never heard about games with "unlocked" FPS on consoles, the games are whole made to run on a certain framerate in any situation with minimal drops. To prevent great drops, some PSP games that run on 60 FPS at 333MHz are locked to 30 FPS when running at 222MHz, it's just a 50% overclock to 100% FPS increase.

If what you said was the way it works, I believe God of War Chains of Olympus should be one of these games, because in some scenario the FPS eventually drops to 40-45 even on a powerful PC, to fix this you must overclock the internal CPU to a higher values like 444MHz. If this game really had dinamic FPS as you say, on slower CPU system the FPS should automaticly be reduced, like happens on Dolphin.

When the game is running on the emulator, it acts like it was on actual console, that's why the game won't atomatcally change the FPS dependending on your system CPU, because the only CPU that matter for it is the virtual console CPU, and if not changed, it'll always run on defaut speed. I would say not the game FPS, but the internal CPU of emulator has a dinamic speed that changes according to system requirements. If that's not what happens to Dolphin, would be a interesting feature for PPSSPP.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
06-20-2017, 03:11 AM
(06-20-2017 12:17 AM)GuilhermeGS2 Wrote:  But it's not only on NFS, that's just an example, also happens to other games I tested. I don't think it's a game feature, I never heard about games with "unlocked" FPS on consoles, the games are whole made to run on a certain framerate in any situation with minimal drops. To prevent great drops, some PSP games that run on 60 FPS at 333MHz are locked to 30 FPS when running at 222MHz, it's just a 50% overclock to 100% FPS increase.

If what you said was the way it works, I believe God of War Chains of Olympus should be one of these games, because in some scenario the FPS eventually drops to 40-45 even on a powerful PC, to fix this you must overclock the internal CPU to a higher values like 444MHz. If this game really had dinamic FPS as you say, on slower CPU system the FPS should automaticly be reduced, like happens on Dolphin.

When the game is running on the emulator, it acts like it was on actual console, that's why the game won't atomatcally change the FPS dependending on your system CPU, because the only CPU that matter for it is the virtual console CPU, and if not changed, it'll always run on defaut speed. I would say not the game FPS, but the internal CPU of emulator has a dinamic speed that changes according to system requirements. If that's not what happens to Dolphin, would be a interesting feature for PPSSPP.

Its not as simple as "To prevent great drops, some PSP games that run on 60 FPS at 333MHz are locked to 30 FPS when running at 222MHz, it's just a 50% overclock to 100% FPS increase."

The games are coded like that, meaning that on 222 Mhz they can actually run unstable 60 FPS, but they clamp it to 30, so it is smooth. it really is not "50% overclock to 100% FPS increase" Also. God of War is coded trough ass, as far as I remember. I could be wrong.

But yea, it is a game thing NOT emulator thing.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
06-20-2017, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2017 02:57 PM by GuilhermeGS2.)
(06-20-2017 03:11 AM)Asferot Wrote:  
(06-20-2017 12:17 AM)GuilhermeGS2 Wrote:  But it's not only on NFS, that's just an example, also happens to other games I tested. I don't think it's a game feature, I never heard about games with "unlocked" FPS on consoles, the games are whole made to run on a certain framerate in any situation with minimal drops. To prevent great drops, some PSP games that run on 60 FPS at 333MHz are locked to 30 FPS when running at 222MHz, it's just a 50% overclock to 100% FPS increase.

Its not as simple as "To prevent great drops, some PSP games that run on 60 FPS at 333MHz are locked to 30 FPS when running at 222MHz, it's just a 50% overclock to 100% FPS increase."

The games are coded like that, meaning that on 222 Mhz they can actually run unstable 60 FPS, but they clamp it to 30, so it is smooth. it really is not "50% overclock to 100% FPS increase" Also. God of War is coded trough ass, as far as I remember. I could be wrong.

But yea, it is a game thing NOT emulator thing.

That's exactly what I mean by "to prevent great drops the FPS is locked to 30". Techinically, 222MHz clock could run with better framerate than 30 FPS, if 333MHz can run stable 60 FPS, 222MHz could run with about 40 FPS if we had unlocked FPS. Remembering it's a special case that depends only on the CPU speed, there's no GPU limitation.

What I mean by "50% overclock for 100% FPS increase" is that if 30 FPS was really the limit of 222MHz, a 50% overclock would increase only about 50% the FPS, not 100%. Of course, the game running at 30 FPS 222MHz uses less the max CPU power than 60 FPS 333MHz.

06-20-2017, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2017 05:54 PM by TkSilver.)
For GoW Chains, if on a psp system it gets to those sections and drops it's frame rate down with out a slowdown in gameplay then yes it probably uses an unlocked framerate. If the game slows down when the action gets heavy then no it does not have an unlocked framerate it is just that the psp is not fast enough to keep up with the game.

Basically like the 60fps code patches, it might not work on every game and is not an emulator option, but something you "might" (game dependent) be able to patch on a per game basis if you understand how to patch the code in memory. This will not work for every game and moat times you will probably go from a locked Xfps to annother locked Xfps (like 30 to 60 or 30 to 20) but that is just how the games were written. Also no guarantee that doing this will not cause unpredictable issues.
06-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Most CPU intensive games that I run on PPSSPP with reduced internal CPU clock has the FPS reduced too. Think in a PC game, if you have a weak CPU, you'll have lower FPS, if you have a powerful CPU, you'll have higher FPS, it does not matter if the game is limited to 30, 60, 90, 120, or whatever FPS, since the CPU is not enough to hit the max FPS, the performance will be lower. Anyway, thank you guys for the reply, I guess we will get nowhere here, I'll try out something to get better performance here.

06-20-2017, 07:52 PM
The results of my test:

As Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny uses too little the CPU of PSP, only very low CPU clock values affects the FPS, with ~60MHz I still got 60 FPS even on PC, below 60MHz the FPS is affected. I found a confortable value that keeps the emulation speed between 95-100% and the FPS between 30-45 on my phone, I'm using 45MHz.

Change CPU clock doesn't work correctly for games thar have 30 and 60 FPS cap depending on clock speed, like Midnight Club 3, if you try to get a framerate between 30 and 60 with a clock higher than 222 and lower than 333, the game simple will run at 60 FPS and will suddenly drop to 30 when can't keep 60. It works if you try to run below 30 FPS, on MC3 you still will get 30 FPS untill ~160MHz, below this the FPS will be affected. It's usefull for Android, most phones can't even reach 30 FPS in this game, it's a CPU intensive. Anyway racing games are more playable above 30 FPS, it's more valid for non-racing games "playable" below 30 FPS.

As I can confirm on my test too, a feature that auto change the internal CPU clock woudn't work on PPSSPP, because the manual clock changes only affects the game after a reload the game or load a saved state, in Dolphin the manual clock change works realtime while the game is running. I don't know if it's a PSP limitation or a emulator limitation, but I doubt someone will want to work on this, so this thered is irrelevant.

Thread closed.

Thread Closed