Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Random textures address in Persona 3 Portable
06-06-2017, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017 08:07 PM by Efraim Lopes.)
Random textures address in Persona 3 Portable
Sorry if I posted in the wrong place, I didn't find a post about this so merge if possible.

Question: I'm trying to make a pack of HD textures for the game but I have had problems with textures within the battle scenario's, the emulator keep dumping the same texture already replaced in the ini game with a different hash address thus making impossible to make the pack, so I came to ask if it's a bug of emulator or is normal in this particular game the use ramdom texture address?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2017, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017 09:09 PM by LunaMoo.)
RE: Random textures address in Persona 3 Portable
It's normal, some games might use same address for something from start to finish, but it usually changes in some games very often since psp had very little memory and had to shuffle everything around.
You can use wildcards to deal with it, create textures.ini file from ui(settings->tools->dev tools ~ near the bottom) and it should have links explaining how to use it, you could also read this thread ~ which probably should be pinned as it grows with this feature and has most discussions about it, including other problems you might find as some psp games might be very bothersome for texture replacement:].

In new ppsspp versions(from buildbot or if you compile it yourself) you could also use "ignoreAddress" option(also in textures.ini) to ignore address for all textures automatically, but for that you'll also have to change hash to a more reliable one. If you do that your texture pack will not work in old ppsspp versions(and by old I also ment latest release version:]).
Choosing/changing hash is generally a decision that should be made early since it will change filenames and invalidate any earlier texture hash info already dumped giving you extra work. To list all available hashes: "quick" which is unreliable(has a potentially high chance to repeat same result from different textures) ~ hence some options are disabled for it(but it's also default as we had it from the start) and two new reliable ones - "xxh32" which has average speed on everything and "xxh64" which is very fast on 64 bit platforms, but rather slow on 32 bit ones.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
06-07-2017, 04:21 AM
(06-06-2017 09:07 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  It's normal, some games might use same address for something from start to finish, but it usually changes in some games very often since psp had very little memory and had to shuffle everything around.
You can use wildcards to deal with it, create textures.ini file from ui(settings->tools->dev tools ~ near the bottom) and it should have links explaining how to use it, you could also read this thread ~ which probably should be pinned as it grows with this feature and has most discussions about it, including other problems you might find as some psp games might be very bothersome for texture replacement:].

In new ppsspp versions(from buildbot or if you compile it yourself) you could also use "ignoreAddress" option(also in textures.ini) to ignore address for all textures automatically, but for that you'll also have to change hash to a more reliable one. If you do that your texture pack will not work in old ppsspp versions(and by old I also ment latest release version:]).
Choosing/changing hash is generally a decision that should be made early since it will change filenames and invalidate any earlier texture hash info already dumped giving you extra work. To list all available hashes: "quick" which is unreliable(has a potentially high chance to repeat same result from different textures) ~ hence some options are disabled for it(but it's also default as we had it from the start) and two new reliable ones - "xxh32" which has average speed on everything and "xxh64" which is very fast on 64 bit platforms, but rather slow on 32 bit ones.

I don't get it, don't get how use wildcards or ignoreAddress or that 00000 thing, I think I will give up man, the game uses poor textures most of them are 32x32 and generates all textures of battle again, fixing this thing wil be hard Sad, what I realy need to do in this case? I will leave a screenshot of my texture.ini:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-07-2017, 08:47 AM
There's absolutely nothing hard here. "Wildcards" are just special signs to skip checking part of string, in case of PPSSPP dumped file name is made of address + clut hash + texture hash, 8 hexadecimal digits each, if some part is "random", you replace all of it's 8 digits with 0's. For example: 00000000d11ac8c70079ed5c would replace all textures ending with clut hash of d11ac8c7 and texture hash of 0079ed5c, doesn't matter their address.

The option to do that automatically avoiding duplicates based on address to even be dumped will only work in latest ppsspp versions and as mentioned will not be compatible with any outdated ones like current release version(1.4.2) and older. You use it by changing under [options] in textures.ini:
Code:
hash = quick
to
Code:
hash = xxh64
ignoreAddress = true
Instead of xxh64 you can use xxh32 if you care about older devices with 32 bit systems. And again whenever hash is changed, you'll have to reassign textures you already replaced since the old texture hash will no longer be relevant.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
06-07-2017, 11:26 PM
(06-07-2017 08:47 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  There's absolutely nothing hard here. "Wildcards" are just special signs to skip checking part of string, in case of PPSSPP dumped file name is made of address + clut hash + texture hash, 8 hexadecimal digits each, if some part is "random", you replace all of it's 8 digits with 0's. For example: 00000000d11ac8c70079ed5c would replace all textures ending with clut hash of d11ac8c7 and texture hash of 0079ed5c, doesn't matter their address.

The option to do that automatically avoiding duplicates based on address to even be dumped will only work in latest ppsspp versions and as mentioned will not be compatible with any outdated ones like current release version(1.4.2) and older. You use it by changing under [options] in textures.ini:
Code:
hash = quick
to
Code:
hash = xxh64
ignoreAddress = true
Instead of xxh64 you can use xxh32 if you care about older devices with 32 bit systems. And again whenever hash is changed, you'll have to reassign textures you already replaced since the old texture hash will no longer be relevant.

Thanks you so much I managed to do it right now Big Grin, I'll be using the xxh64 that looks more fast and put the latest buildbot build as requeriment to use my textures pack, realy apreciate your help and thanks again. Smile