Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Could you please diagnose my bottleneck?
06-18-2017, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2017 11:51 PM by TkSilver.)
RE: Could you please diagnose my bottleneck?
It is not Snapdragons specifically, but the Adreno graphics and even more specifically the drivers that were made for those GPUs. The OpenGL ES drivers on the 200 and 300 series were pretty bad. The CPU portion of the Snapdragon SoC are actually pretty good.... well better then most sans Tegra and sometimes Exynos.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2017, 09:03 AM
I thought that these "poor" adreno drivers were fixed in an update. If not probably henrik and team made a workaround for them to say that this issue isn't relevant anymore.

Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8Ghz
Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 @1.4Ghz
---------------------------------------------
Nokia 8 - Snapdragon 835
06-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Sometimes Android updates include new better (or worse...) drivers. But, usually these are only found in flagship phones. There's basically 3 tiers:

Tier 1: Your Android OS is never updated. At most maybe some security patch.
Tier 2: Your Android OS is updated, but they rebundle the old drivers (without fixes) when it is.
Tier 3: Your Android OS and drivers are updated regularly.

I'm pretty sure that recent Google and NVIDIA devices fall into "tier 3", and probably most/many other "flagship" phones do.

We're always trying to improve performance where we can - I don't know of anything specifically targeted for Adreno...

-[Unknown]
06-19-2017, 02:58 PM
Most non google/non nvidia "flagship" products fall under Tier 2 unless the driver fixes are made to correct a very important issue (like a phone model running way way way too hot). Most manufacturers have little to no incentive to improve the performance of their device outside of the initial launch window where all the reviews are getting pushed out and in most cases making it less desirable to throwaway your old device and buy a new one goes against their best interests.

Google does it because they want to show off the best Android can be since they are more interested in selling the OS then the devices. Nvidia does it because they don't continually update their device and the ones they have released are more for the prestige of having the best graphic solution in X form factor and to sell accessories to their primary product.
06-19-2017, 03:01 PM
I've seen in Dolphin forums that there's a way to disable or increase the thermal throttling temperature in Snapdragon devices. Strangely it improve the performance even at lower temperatures.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
06-19-2017, 06:37 PM
(06-19-2017 03:01 PM)GuilhermeGS2 Wrote:  I've seen in Dolphin forums that there's a way to disable or increase the thermal throttling temperature in Snapdragon devices. Strangely it improve the performance even at lower temperatures.

It is because they set it waaaaay too low/wrong if I remember correctly.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
06-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Yeah, many phone manufactures do this. But the guy who tested it, said the maximum temperature was 42ºC after 2 hours running Dolphin with Snpadragon 821, why something too low could be do some damage? My old Galaxy SII get over 50ºC easily, I couldn't even thouch the screen after some minutes of gameplay. After 4 years and the half it's alive and working very well, I can OC it to 1.4GHz, the GPU up to 400MHz (267MHz is the defaut), the only thing that is not good is the battery. I used to be a extreme user, finished both God of War games on PPSSPP, finished GTA Vice City and San Andreas, it's a true warrior.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
06-20-2017, 03:06 AM
(06-19-2017 06:51 PM)GuilhermeGS2 Wrote:  Yeah, many phone manufactures do this. But the guy who tested it, said the maximum temperature was 42ºC after 2 hours running Dolphin with Snpadragon 821, why something too low could be do some damage? My old Galaxy SII get over 50ºC easily, I couldn't even thouch the screen after some minutes of gameplay. After 4 years and the half it's alive and working very well, I can OC it to 1.4GHz, the GPU up to 400MHz (267MHz is the defaut), the only thing that is not good is the battery. I used to be a extreme user, finished both God of War games on PPSSPP, finished GTA Vice City and San Andreas, it's a true warrior.

To be honest most parts have TjMax around 100ºC, but in mobile devices there is almost no heat dissipation and it heats up other parts, but still, 60-70ºC should be fine. Sure, running everything on full "may" shorten the life of the device, but in most cases it will not.

Everything is Hitsuzen!