Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gradius Collection
06-21-2014, 03:14 AM
RE: Gradius Collection
The display problem in Gradius Gaiden has been solved in ppsspp-v0.9.8-1275-g413704f.

Thanks for the work!

(06-08-2014 02:28 AM)tylau0 Wrote:  Please see the attached screenshots for details. Both have buffered rendering (the default setting) and simulate block transfer enabled (I need to check it under Graphics -> Rendering Mode).

The correct display behavior is shown in gradiusGaidenSoftwareRendering.png. I make it by further enabling software rendering (Graphics -> Debugging -> software rendering (experimental)) You can see that the play screen is centered properly. We have the power meter at the bottom left corner of the play screen.

But if we use the default rendering mode (i.e. not using software rendering), the screen is shown in gaiden.png. You can see the the play screen is translated a bit downward, thus blocking the bottom part of the play screen (which has the power meter) from showing.

(06-07-2014 07:01 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Is the smaller screenshot Gaiden? What is it supposed to look like - centered, stretched?

Are you using "buffered rendering"? Any other mode is likely to have bugs. I also suggest enabling "simulate block transfers".

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Even on the latest 1.0 release of ppsspp some games of the Gradius Collection still only plays sound without picture on the MacOS X version. I think it has something to do with the OpenGL plugin as with the software rendering all is ok but framerate is extremely low.
05-17-2018, 10:31 PM
Some special effects in this collection cause slowdown. I noticed it at one boss in Gradius II. It was very brief, so it wasn't a big deal. But in Gradius III it seems to be more common. Some of the sand dragons and boss in the first level shoot particle weapons that spread out in multiple directions, which trigger the slowdown. Switching to Direct 3D 9 fixes the issues for me (probably just doesn't slow down enough for the FPS to drop down below 60 anymore).

This issue makes it the most demanding PSP game I've played on PPSSPP so far.
06-27-2018, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2018 06:40 AM by jamyskis.)
It is possible to have the games displayed at close to original arcade resolution if PPSSPP's resolution is set to the host's native display (Auto), texture filtering is set to Nearest and "Original" is set in-game as the game's window size (the original PSP and PPSSPP at PSP native res would crush them down and apply a bilinear filter to them, which looks passable on a PSP screen but utterly horrible when blown up to 1080p).

I've noticed though that the parallax star background disappears in the first game when you do this. The starfield still works in the 1.0.0 release from what I've tested, but release 1.1.0 breaks this, and it remains broken in 1.6.3.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-01-2021, 04:30 AM
(06-27-2018 06:35 AM)jamyskis Wrote:  It is possible to have the games displayed at close to original arcade resolution if PPSSPP's resolution is set to the host's native display (Auto), texture filtering is set to Nearest and "Original" is set in-game as the game's window size (the original PSP and PPSSPP at PSP native res would crush them down and apply a bilinear filter to them, which looks passable on a PSP screen but utterly horrible when blown up to 1080p).

I've noticed though that the parallax star background disappears in the first game when you do this. The starfield still works in the 1.0.0 release from what I've tested, but release 1.1.0 breaks this, and it remains broken in 1.6.3.

Seems like even now in 2021 the upscaling issues with Gradius 1 are still present. It's interesting that it doesn't break with Gradius 2 or 3, only 1. They're also only present when the resolution is increased. None of the texture filters seem to be affecting it for better or worse.