Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Using pre-existing PSP save files in PPSSPP
04-21-2017, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2017 02:14 PM by MAUDCAUERA19922006.)
Using pre-existing PSP save files in PPSSPP
Is it possible to use a pre-existing save file from my PSP in PPSSPP emulator? or will I need to start a new game?.
Because I need to access some characters in X-Men Legends 2. But some of them aren't unlocked until very late in the game.
If the answer is yes, that would be great since I have a completed option file from my PSP that that I would like to use in PPSSPP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2017, 03:34 PM
RE: Using pre-existing PSP save files in PPSSPP
Be happy then since the answer yes. You can move a save from PSP to PPSSPP... you can move it from PPSSPP to PSP. Just not the savestates only the ingame saves.
04-21-2017, 09:25 PM
(04-21-2017 03:34 PM)TkSilver Wrote:  Be happy then since the answer yes. You can move a save from PSP to PPSSPP... you can move it from PPSSPP to PSP. Just not the savestates only the ingame saves.

That's great to hear to be honest with you I did actually try this long before I made this thread. But my PSP file was never acknowledged in PPSSPP so can you tell me what I need to do in order for it to be recognized?.
04-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Savedata simply has to be placed to correct folder, that is "memstick\PSP\SAVEDATA" where location of the "memstick" will differ depending on which platform you run ppsspp on(since it supports many desktop and mobile platforms;p), it also will depend whenever ppsspp has the right to write to some folder or not. For example on windows 10, if ppsspp can write files to it's own directory, memstick will be placed there, if not, or if ppsspp was installed it would be placed under "my documents"(system_drive_letter:\Users\username\Documents\PPSSPP). If you're unsure or by some messup have ppsspp folders in more locations, best just save in ppsspp once to see where the savedata got written.

Good place to note that PPSSPP does not have 100% savedata compatibility yet as noted in #5821, it's rare, but some games savedata might not work, it would rather print some problem after trying to load savedata and not just ignore it completely through.

Another thing to mention there are existing some hackish patches mostly if not exclusively used by pirates using heavily outdated psp firmware which change the games to work on those older firmwares not supported by newer games. If you used those, your savedata will likely not be compatible with proper PSP savedata neither with PPSSPP savedata. This is most commonly(but not limited to) a problem with games allowing to transfer saves from past releases as even if you get savedata from same region it will fail.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
04-21-2017, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2017 10:20 PM by TkSilver.)
Darn Luna beat me to it

To be able to use a PSP save in PPSSPP you need 3 main things to be correct. Place, Naming format, and Region. Region should not be an issue if you made your own backup of the UMD that created the save to begin with so I will not cover it here.

Place -- Where to put the save
This can vary depending on the Platform (device/OS) you use. I dont have a modern iOS device so I cant help there. I don't use PPSSPP through retroarch or other frontends that may change this so I cant help with those either. I will put the 2 main platforms though... Android and Windows.

Android -- There should be a folder in your INTERNAL storage called PSP. What your INTERNAL storage is called depends heavily on version of android, your device's manufacturer and sometimes it is different just to annoy Android users (it seems). I wish you good luck finding your internal memory but once you do the PSP folder will be there.
Inside will be a folder called SAVEDATA (all CAPS and that is important do not mess with the name). Your properly formatted save folders go in here -- see Format.

Windows -- Should be easier to find unless you did a bad thing and put your PPSSPP folder in a bad place. (to make it nicer on you your should avoid putting anything in program files or any other windows important places since windows does silly silly things to programs there. Make a separate folder on your C drive or any other drive-- also good advice for a lot of games as well especially if you like modding). In PPSSPP's main folder (the one with the exe) you will see a folder called memstick (assuming it was allowed permission to create it - see earlier comment on windows) in memstick will be PSP and in PSP will be SAVEDATA. If you didn't read the android section SAVEDATA (all CAPS and that is important do not mess with the name). Your properly formatted save folders go in here -- see Format.

Format -- this should not be a major issue but here it is.
A proper PSP save has a few things.
- The folder's name is always based on the sony game code for the game ULUS, NPJH, UCUS, ect. followed by some numbers. Depending on the game sometimes other things are tacked on after the sony game code. The folder must remain the proper name for the save of the game it is (DO NOT RENAME THE FOLDER) also some games need multiple folders for one game (Sometimes save games are separate/sometimes not/ sometimes system data is separate/ sometimes not) you should grab all the folders with the same sony game code even if what comes after is different or you might miss something you want/need.
- Inside the folder should be correct and should not be messed with unless you know what you are doing and have a backup if you like having the save. It consists almost always of 2 .png files and a .sfo file. There might also be a .at3 file if the save is supposed to have sound in the save file manager on the PSP. You will also find data files and sometimes other files. Just copy the whole folder to the right PLACE.
04-23-2017, 11:52 PM
(04-21-2017 09:54 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Another thing to mention there are existing some hackish patches mostly if not exclusively used by pirates using heavily outdated psp firmware which change the games to work on those older firmwares not supported by newer games. If you used those, your savedata will likely not be compatible with proper PSP savedata neither with PPSSPP savedata. This is most commonly(but not limited to) a problem with games allowing to transfer saves from past releases as even if you get savedata from same region it will fail.

I think you're unfortunately right about this I have installed 6.60 PRO C on my PSP. I installed it so that I could display my PSP gameplay on my PC. After doing that I was able to record the 9 PSP exclusive comic missions for XML2.

For one of my latest video's I have recorded the alternate costumes for most of the playable characters in the same game. The problem with this is that it's very difficult to tell what some of the costumes are when reviewing my screenshots.

This is why I was hoping to be able to use a pre-existing PSP save file in PPSSPP emulator. Instead of having to continue with the new save file that I created in PPSSPP. Not only would it save me some time it would also be easier to identify the costumes because of the higher graphics quality.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-24-2017, 04:05 AM
(04-23-2017 11:52 PM)MAUDCAUERA19922006 Wrote:  I think you're unfortunately right about this I have installed 6.60 PRO C on my PSP. I installed it so that I could display my PSP gameplay on my PC. After doing that I was able to record the 9 PSP exclusive comic missions for XML2.

If you made the save in Pro-C and you ripped the game yourself it should be fine since no patches were needed for Pro-C (or B for that matter)

If the game you are trying to load in PPSSPP is an iso you found somewhere then it might be patched in that case

To make a clean iso from your own UMD in Pro C is easy
1. On the XMB (cross media bar/ the psp's home screen) press select
2. In the menu that pops up change Usb device from memory stick to UMD disk
3. Hook PSP to PC like you were going to copy over a save
4. When you start the USB Connection you will see the UMD iso instead of your usual memory card
5. Copy this clean copy and try it out.

Really as far as patches go the worst offending CFWs were the 2 GEN CFW (5.03 and 5.50 GEN) and some of the 5.00 and previous CFWs, not because the CFW needed it but because they were trying to keep the game from requiring Firmware versions not yet hacked (and people who didn't make a pandora battery).
04-26-2017, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2017 07:31 AM by MAUDCAUERA19922006.)
(04-24-2017 04:05 AM)TkSilver Wrote:  If you made the save in Pro-C and you ripped the game yourself it should be fine since no patches were needed for Pro-C (or B for that matter)

The 4 saves that I have were all made in Pro-C but I didn't rip the game I have a hard copy of it.

EDIT: Thank you for your for help TkSilver your suggestion in post #7 is what worked for me.

(04-24-2017 04:05 AM)TkSilver Wrote:  If the game you are trying to load in PPSSPP is an iso you found somewhere then it might be patched in that case

To make a clean iso from your own UMD in Pro C is easy
1. On the XMB (cross media bar/ the psp's home screen) press select
2. In the menu that pops up change Usb device from memory stick to UMD disk
3. Hook PSP to PC like you were going to copy over a save
4. When you start the USB Connection you will see the UMD iso instead of your usual memory card
5. Copy this clean copy and try it out.