Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Backing Up .iso Files
04-07-2017, 07:43 AM
Backing Up .iso Files
Hello there! If I back up .iso files in Google Drive and delete them on my file manager (in order to save space), will the games still work on PPSSPP?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2017, 02:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 02:43 AM by [Unknown].)
RE: Backing Up .iso Files
If you delete the .iso files, you won't be able to play the games until you download them from Drive onto your device again. Performance reading data over the Internet is too slow to run the games directly from Google Drive.

Some options you have:

1. You can compress your isos to cso - this will save some space, but it depends on the game how much. Some old PSP CFWs had bugs running GTA on a cso, but PPSSPP doesn't. Games might even load faster.

2. If you're playing at home, you can use the "remote disc streaming" feature. Run PPSSPP on your desktop (where you have the iso, and it's in PPSSPP's recent list), and then go to Tools and share. Next, on your mobile/tablet, you can stream the cso from your desktop. As long as they're both on the same wifi, performance is often pretty good. There's a setting under System, "IO Timing" -> "Host" which makes it smoother.

3. You can delete and then download the game again from Drive when you want to play it later. Your savedata and save states won't be lost when you delete the iso/cso.

4. Some devices support plugging in microsd cards. It's a perfectly good idea to store iso/cso files there instead, if you have that option. They definitely don't have to be on the device's primary storage.

-[Unknown]
04-08-2017, 02:37 AM
Thank you very much!
04-10-2017, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2017 07:21 PM by vnctdj.)
(04-08-2017 02:30 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  You can compress your isos to cso - this will save some space, but it depends on the game how much. Some old PSP CFWs had bugs running GTA on a cso, but PPSSPP doesn't. Games might even load faster.
-[Unknown]

Something else you can also do to save space is trim the ISO with UMDGen, getting rid of the update files, which is 50-200MB depending on the game, but if you trim some games they may not boot.

Edit by vnctdj : Link replaced by a better one (hosted by myself).

I'm a simple guy; I find an anime and I watch it.
04-10-2017, 04:46 AM
If you are really, really, really desperate for space you can also use umdgen and other tools to create dummy video files and audio files and remove movies and music from some games to really save every last MB.

This is not recomended.