Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
not using multicore and GPU (Tegra3) optimazation ?
05-13-2013, 05:39 PM
not using multicore and GPU (Tegra3) optimazation ?
Hi,
I recall when we started to work on the PCSx2 we had the same preformance issues and slowness and that we due to optimizations issues and due to not using the power of the CPU currectly and GPU.

i find it really strange that the emulator is almost using only CPU preformance and not optimizing the preformance curectly with the usage of multi-core and nothin also for GPU strenth.

is it planed to do more optimization for multicore optimization and GPU optimization ?

would you need any help in this area ? or this is something that you already working on ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2013, 06:19 PM
RE: not using multicore and GPU (Tegra3) optimazation ?
I believe they work on 1 core for now in order to make it so even the weakest CPU is able to play as smoothly as possible,
once they are satisfied with that, focus will most likely go for more than 1 core.
This is what I think they are doing, but creators, kindly fix me if there's more to it of what I wrote.

Laptop:________________________Desktop:
Windows 10 64-bit, 8GB DDR4 RAM | Windows 10 64-bit, 8GB DDR3 RAM
Intel® Core™i5-7300HQ 2,5/3.5ghz | Intel® Core™i5-4440 3,10ghz
NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti_____________| NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-13-2013, 06:45 PM
It's been said before that the CPU doesn't make much of a difference. It is the gpu that truly matters. And right now, the latest mobile gpus like powerVr 554, Mali 600, tegra 4, etc may be good for playing mobile games, but they are nothing compared to proper pc gpus. In fact, even integrated graphics like the intel 4000 are much better than mobile gpus.

So the point is that the gpu is the limiting factor. Multi core threading isn't going to help that much. What would be useful is optimising the emulator so it requires less gpu power, and that is indeed the direction in which development is heading.
05-14-2013, 12:26 AM
To the OP,

What geigermuller said it's true, but with a caveat.

For certain problematic games like Tekken 6 and God of War, CPU usage is a big.big problem, even on the PC, with its exhorbitant CPU usage. The GPU is not even a factor at all, it's barely touched when running those games on the PC.

I find that PPSSPP is GPU limited on games that run well on the PC, for example in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, where Turbo VPS is only as high as your GPU can process the frames (300-400 VPS) but CPU limited in problematic games. The problematic games can be fixed to not clog up the CPU in time.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
05-14-2013, 05:04 AM
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...4#pid19124

-[Unknown]