Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The latest build doesn't work for me
03-30-2013, 01:43 AM
The latest build doesn't work for me
So with previous builds that I've tried, ppsspp managed to run, but would not run any isos or even the cube demo. Sad But with version 0.7-310 ppsspp won't even run for me. I'm sure I have all the proper dlls and such, so I think it's my graphics card that's to blame. But it's odd that it went from just not running isos to not running at all.

Is there anything I can do? I can't update my drivers any further on either my laptop or my pc, and it doesn't work on either one. I really want to use this emulator, but just haven't had any luck so far. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2013, 03:25 AM
RE: The latest build doesn't work for me
What video card are you using?

The latest Windows build now renders graphics right away (using the same UI it uses on other platforms), so if it's crashing, it just means it's because of that.

If you have an Intel card, someone has a patch that may help (but it needed changes to not break Android.)

-[Unknown]
03-30-2013, 04:09 AM
Ah, I think I've fixed that for the next build.

-[Unknown]
03-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Strange. You can try putting it in the same directory as PPSSPPWindows.exe?

Is this from a build or from the downloads page?

-[Unknown]
03-30-2013, 07:08 AM
No change for me either- even with the latest build, it still crashes on startup. Sad

I think at least some of my problems are related to the Intel thing though- my video card is a Intel G965 Express Chipset, and the one on my laptop is also one of Intel's.

As [Unknown] mentioned, I read that someone had a patch to fix that, but it doesn't look like they've uploaded it yet to my knowledge. Will they be uploading that soon? I could try applying that to the last build where ppsspp was still working for me as a whole if that person would be willing to upload it. Big Grin
03-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Hmm, sorry, these are totally separate issues.

yetanotheruser, The easiest way to test it would be to do this:
git pull
cd native
git checkout origin/master
cd ..
<compile normally>

It's an update to the native repo, and it's already been merged there. It will probably be in a build soon.

KingPepper, your issue is different but related. I think it may be an issue of the working directory. To confirm, are you opening the exe directly by double clicking it (not a shortcut to it, etc.)?

It should be:
PPSSPPWindows.exe
assets/ui_atlas.zim
assets/ppge_altas.zim

It should indeed be about 1 MB. It loads okay for me...

-[Unknown]
03-30-2013, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2013 10:02 PM by yetanotheruser.)
Seems like it was put into a build recently... and yet it still crashes on startup.

The latest builds beyond a certain point on the v.07s don't seem to work for me at all, so is it possible for someone to give me the patch by itself so I can apply it to the last build that still worked at all for me? I'd appreciate it. Smile

EDIT: Hmm, don't know if this helps though, but trying the latest git build again, this message shows up sometimes in the debug console:
58:39:140 NativeApp.cpp:307 I[BOOT]: NativeInitGraphics - should only be called once!
Sometimes the debug console won't show up at all, but when it does, this message will appear right before the crash. Does that help at all?
03-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Nah that's a silly message that always shows. I'm changing it.

Dunno what could be going on here, if you have all the files then it should just work...
03-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Ah, OK.
And yeah, that's the odd thing- with the v0.7-282, it works fine, but once it starts up an iso it crashes, but anything past that and it just plain crashes for some reason. Again, if I could just get the patch to apply to my v0.7-282 copy, I'd appreciate it.
03-31-2013, 12:09 AM
Well, most likely it will just crash once you load an iso again. The newer versions now start drawing OpenGL before you load an iso, which they did not do before. That's why you're crashing earlier.

You're definitely crashing because of something between the emulator, OpenGL, and your video card driver.

-[Unknown]
03-31-2013, 12:44 AM
I think it might be because there's no indication that my stupid graphics card runs OpenGL 2.0... the drivers won't update any further because of the "custom video card" nonsense it keeps giving me. Is there anything I can do at all to still use this? I'm tired of losing out on everything because I'm too poor to afford a new graphics card...
03-31-2013, 01:07 AM
Could it be n an admin-only folder? Try copying it to your desktop or something, maybe...

(03-31-2013 12:44 AM)yetanotheruser Wrote:  I think it might be because there's no indication that my stupid graphics card runs OpenGL 2.0... the drivers won't update any further because of the "custom video card" nonsense it keeps giving me. Is there anything I can do at all to still use this? I'm tired of losing out on everything because I'm too poor to afford a new graphics card...

Well, someone will probably write a DirectX GPU at some point. But otherwise, I don't think it can work without even OpenGL 2.0. Sorry.

-[Unknown]
03-31-2013, 01:28 AM
Is there any way to encourage someone to write it ASAP? As in, should I post a separate thread proposing it as an idea for development or something similar? Because I'd absolutely love to be able to use this emulator. Smile
03-31-2013, 02:31 AM
I think the best way to encourage someone to work on it might be to start reading here:

http://www.directxtutorial.com/LessonList.aspx?listid=9

Until the bugs are worked out of the OpenGL version, it's probably not going to see a lot of effort unless someone comes in and wants to maintain it.

-[Unknown]
03-31-2013, 06:54 AM
Oh, that sounds interesting.

I would try just downloading PPSSPP all over again, and extracting it somewhere completely different. If it runs fine there and finds the assets, yeah, there may be something up.

This is with Windows 7 right? Is your account an admin? You can try this:

1. Start -> type "cmd" but do not press enter.
2. Hold shift and right click on cmd.exe (or press the context menu keyboard button.)
3. Select Run as Administrator.
4. Hold shift again while right clicking the folder PPSSPP is in.
5. Select "Copy as path".
6. In the black cmd.exe window, type cd and then a space.
7. Right click the title bar of the cmd.exe window and select Edit -> Paste.
8. Press enter in the window.
9. Now type "dir assets".

You should see both files. If you don't, something funny may be going on. Did you set any compatibility settings on PPSSPPWindows.exe?

-[Unknown]