Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
SMACH Z campaign launch - Handheld gaming PC
10-18-2016, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2016 07:12 PM by Terminator.)
Video SMACH Z campaign launch - Handheld gaming PC

IndieGOGO: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smach...g-pc-games
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2016, 06:55 PM
RE: SMACH Z campaign launch - Handheld gaming PC
That's just awesome!

I always wanted a portable gaming device like this. That's just a shame it's not that powerful.

thankfully nintendo has announced nintendo switch. Now i'll play this gen games were i want

I was an Xperia Play gamer until my dog ate my beloved phone!

Now I’m an Xperia ZL/ZQ gamer!
Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

It works better, but i miss the gamepad!! T_T'
10-29-2016, 04:14 PM
Interesting Tech right here, i never knew people post this sort of off topic stuff on here PPSSPP okay yeah it looks good for gaming on the go , that's if you have time to play large steam games or smaller titles, thumbs up from me
12-18-2016, 07:08 PM
(10-28-2016 06:55 PM)heiwasan Wrote:  That's just awesome!

I always wanted a portable gaming device like this. That's just a shame it's not that powerful.

thankfully nintendo has announced nintendo switch. Now i'll play this gen games were i want

The SMACH Z components like - RAM/CPU/GPU/SSD are fully upgradable, so you will be able to play high detail games by fixing it yourself!
12-19-2016, 06:18 AM
(12-18-2016 07:08 PM)Terminator Wrote:  The SMACH Z components like - RAM/CPU/GPU/SSD are fully upgradable, so you will be able to play high detail games by fixing it yourself!

Ram - possibly (heck I'll be nice and say probably)
SSD - might be soldered to the board but again possibly (you can get eMMC storage and socketsa)

CPU/GPU - highly doubtful (being nice not saying just plain no). If they somehow made a socket for a System on a chip like the SMACH Z is using then you would still have to get your "upgrade" directly from them since no standard would fit in even a generous portable form factor. This would be like trying to change a discrete GPU on a notebook only worse since it is not a discrete GPU but a full SoC.
12-27-2016, 01:42 PM
(12-19-2016 06:18 AM)TkSilver Wrote:  
(12-18-2016 07:08 PM)Terminator Wrote:  The SMACH Z components like - RAM/CPU/GPU/SSD are fully upgradable, so you will be able to play high detail games by fixing it yourself!

Ram - possibly (heck I'll be nice and say probably)
SSD - might be soldered to the board but again possibly (you can get eMMC storage and socketsa)

CPU/GPU - highly doubtful (being nice not saying just plain no). If they somehow made a socket for a System on a chip like the SMACH Z is using then you would still have to get your "upgrade" directly from them since no standard would fit in even a generous portable form factor. This would be like trying to change a discrete GPU on a notebook only worse since it is not a discrete GPU but a full SoC.

The company said all parts are upgradable using "Rhomb" components which you will be able to purchase from their online store - RAM/CPU (iGPU)/SSD/HDD/Battery/Z-Pads/ + other modules.

They said so in their FAQ page on KS.

I myself ordered their special unit which has 16gb RAM + 256gb SSD (m.2)
12-27-2016, 08:10 PM
Yes I said possible (even probable) that both the ram and Storage would be upgradeable.

The chipset (CPU/iGpu) does look to have some proprietary system (clickarm - which I think has to be called something else after it got sued in 2015, the reason it's own kickstarter kinda failed). My statement that the only place you will be able to gwt your upgrade is from smachz/ maybe ImasD (clickarm's company name) still holds true it is not like buying a processor off of amazon. You will only be able to select from chipsets they make for it as long as they contine to support it. I guess it is more upgradeable then just a pure embedded chipset like most portable devices use but will probably at best end up like the MXM graphics cards that almost noone ever upgraded due to expense and hassle.