Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question about Custom Textures
10-09-2016, 08:14 AM
Question about Custom Textures
So how exactly does this new feature work? I've tried to look into it and look on reddit and other sites, but found no info on it.
The new version has no new options afaik. So how exactly do you dump/load textures?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2016, 10:34 AM
RE: Question about Custom Textures
There's a tutorial for a specific game, but it works the same for other PPSSPP games :
http://s15.zetaboards.com/legendsofmoddi...0000238/1/

There's a dedicaced thread here too that may have some explanations in it :
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=18963

Maybe there are other tutorials around but i didn't searched much more.
10-10-2016, 08:40 AM
(10-09-2016 10:34 AM)Trokinos Wrote:  There's a tutorial for a specific game, but it works the same for other PPSSPP games :
//s15.zetaboards.com/legendsofmodding/topic/10000238/1/

There's a dedicaced thread here too that may have some explanations in it :
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=18963

Maybe there are other tutorials around but i didn't searched much more.

:c

Why does it have to be this complicated.
Why can't this be like dolphin, where it's idiot proof.
10-10-2016, 12:46 PM
Its not that hard once you know how everything works

Old laptop: Lenovo G458
AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7310 | 1366x768@60Hz | APU E1-1200 Dual Core | 2.5 GB DDR3 400MHz | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

New laptop: Lenovo ideapad 100
Nvidia Geforce 920M 2GB / Intel HD Graphics 5500 | 1366x768@60Hz | Intel Core i3-5005U 2GB | 2GB DDR3 2000MHz | Window 10 Home 64-bit
10-10-2016, 04:24 PM
If doing a few clicks and copy-pasting a filename is too hard then the problem is you.
10-10-2016, 09:01 PM
@nomorevideos what exactly is easier in Dolphin from what it is in PPSSPP?

As far as I can tell it does exactly same thing, seeing here while it potentially doesn't suffer from 1 issue we do have(palleted textures) if anything it's more robust and complex, no wonder as it's simply more mature. Hell it even had a complete format change in the past which certainly would add to confusion to new/returning users.

Texture replacement, in any emulator that does it - essentially ends up a 3 step process:
- dumping textures ~ which means selecting an option in emulator(in ppsspp case under tools>developer tools) and playing the game,
- editing/creating images,
- replacing them ~ which is all about organizing the files/moving them to correct folder(in PPSSPP this means "memstick\PSP\TEXTURES\gameID\" unless manually assigned otherwise) and selecting the option in emulator which is actually activated by default. Optionally also changing stuff in separate ini file, which I think Dolphin also has, through maybe for other things.

The hardest and most time consuming part will always be the middle one which is requires image editing software which no emulator will ever aspire to be with lots of great, free and multi-platform options already existing, meaning most of the work will never be related to emulator features in the first place:].

When using someone elses work(aka the thing lazy people will probably care about) it would end up as just extracting stuff to correct folder. Can't really be simpler without hosting them somewhere and allow download via option in ppsspp which will probably never happen as most people reuse copyrighted textures instead of their original work which could lead to all sorts of legal issues that nobody wants, I don't think Dolphin would support anything like that either and as far as I can tell, it doesn't.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
10-11-2016, 01:37 AM
(10-10-2016 08:40 AM)nomorevideos Wrote:  Why does it have to be this complicated.
Why can't this be like dolphin, where it's idiot proof.
Both of this statements are possibly true. What he's trying to say here is it's not implemented (yet) in the main UI, turning it on requires digging through the ini files.

(10-10-2016 04:24 PM)YukiHerz Wrote:  If doing a few clicks and copy-pasting a filename is too hard then the problem is you.
As an experienced texture-pack maker, even I struggled with PPSSPP's method at first. No need to be condescending.

Yes, the texture replacement method is a bit more complex due to the user having to hunt down repeating textures themselves and put the fix into the textures.ini file. But the plus side is with the textures.ini file, you can now organise the files into folders and meaningful names, which was a headache in Dolphin. Plus, texture scaler still works on unreplaced files, so things don't look too jarring between replaced and original textures when you're working on a game.
10-11-2016, 02:14 AM
You can turn it on in the UI now. It's under Tools -> Developer tools. There's a section for Texture Replacement, where you can toggle both options.

The ini file is not required. If it's not found, it will just look for "04108dc0dd1fa96a92819a1a" in "04108dc0dd1fa96a92819a1a.png" - you don't need to think of clever filenames. I think this is how Dolphin always works - just move everything outside of "new" and you'll have the same thing.

Unfortunately, PSP games often have garbage areas in their textures (this causes both duplicates and garbage at the bottom / right side of PNGs.) I don't know if this is a challenge in Dolphin, but if it isn't, well, PPSSPP isn't a Wii emulator - we have to deal with how the PSP hardware works. Sorry.

-[Unknown]