Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
why only directx 9 ?
09-26-2016, 10:25 AM
why only directx 9 ?
why there is only directx 9 option in ppsspp ? will there will be directx 10 or higher version in future ? and which is better open gl or directx 9 ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2016, 11:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2016 12:01 AM by [Unknown].)
RE: why only directx 9 ?
OpenGL is largely better, unless you have bad OpenGL driver support. It is by far the most heavily tested, and for newer video cards, supports more features than Direct3D 9.

Direct3D 9 was implemented because, at the time, the person implementing it was interested in porting PPSSPP to Xbox which only supported Direct3D 9. This was a ton of work but he really got a lot working - and that effort also helped improve the OpenGL backend.

Direct3D 11 or 12 aren't implemented because no one passionate about implementing them has come along and done it (PPSSPP is open source after all.)

Vulkan support is still looking fairly promising across the various drivers available on Windows devices, and that translates also to Linux and Android devices. From my perspective, Vulkan support is much more interesting than Direct3D 12 support - especially since I don't have or really want Windows 10. But that's just my personal opinion.

I'm sure if someone made a solid effort at implementing Direct3D 12 we'd be very interested in the pull request. This is probably true of Direct3D 11 as well. We might be less interested in 10, since there doesn't seem to be a lot of advantage of 10 over, say, 11 or 12.

-[Unknown]
09-27-2016, 02:44 AM
Direct3D/Direct X 9 also has the advantage of being compatible on more hardware and OS's then 10 or 11. Somewhat interesting is that a lot of emulation enthusiasts have Windows XP systems and like it over newer versions of Windows due to compatibility with older software.
09-30-2016, 03:26 AM
Well personally as a low end PC gamer, Direct3D/DirectX 9 is godsend cuz all those glorious 60fps performance. I really hope we could improve our performance even more with it or OpenGL as well.
09-30-2016, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2016 08:52 AM by Asferot.)
(09-27-2016 02:44 AM)TkSilver Wrote:  Direct3D/Direct X 9 also has the advantage of being compatible on more hardware and OS's then 10 or 11. Somewhat interesting is that a lot of emulation enthusiasts have Windows XP systems and like it over newer versions of Windows due to compatibility with older software.

Yup! I have XP box just for older stuff. W10 is nice, if you are not braindead, but XP is better in some ways.

Everything is Hitsuzen!