Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The framerate counter doesn't display the actual framerate?
03-26-2013, 04:36 PM
The framerate counter doesn't display the actual framerate?
I just found out about this emulator, and I have to say it's very impressive! I can't wait for the compatibility to improve and for all of the glitches to be ironed out! However, I noticed that when you enable the framerate counter, if the game is running at full speed the framerate counter will always say 60, even if the game is running at 30 frames per second or lower. This is not the case with Dolphin (and I know this is made by some of the same people who made Dolphin); when you display the framerate in Dolphin it tells you how many frames are actually being drawn, so if you're playing a 30 fps game the framerate counter will say 30 when it's running at full speed. Is there any way to make PPSSPP do the same thing?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2013, 04:54 PM
RE: The framerate counter doesn't display the actual framerate?
I think its VPS counter, games are always running at same FPS as they do on PSP but VPS indicates how fast/close to target emulation speed you are running the game. 30 VPS means that its running only 1/2th of the speed/pace it should be running.
I think Frameskip also makes games look less smoother.

When I disable Frameskip I get smooth 60 FPS image but it is not running at full speed Smile
03-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Yes, so basically, it's the number of vblanks per second. If emulation is behind, it will be < 60, if ahead, it'll be > 60. The PSP always does 60 vblanks per second, regardless of how much the game renders (or at least, I'm pretty sure this is the case.)

Frameskip increases it because more vblanks are able to happen per second, even though it's not actually rendering these frames.

The trouble in my mind at least is that different games do different things. For example, some render to several different buffers and use that all for one frame. Some games use triple buffering or don't use double buffering. I'm not sure the actual game's framerate can be determined 100% correctly all the time...

Maybe it'd be better to show it as a percentage...

-[Unknown]
03-26-2013, 07:16 PM
So the reason the framerate counter is accurate for Dolphin but not for PPSSPP has to do with a difference in the way that the PSP and the Wii/Gamecube handle graphics processing? And there's no way to get around this so that PPSSPP displays the framerate accurately?
03-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Well, I don't know much about Dolphin, maybe it estimates too. There's probably a way to get close, but personally I find the current counter "does the job" well enough for me.

-[Unknown]