Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PPSSPP to UWP (desktop, mobile and xbox)
09-06-2016, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2016 11:38 PM by sertincho.)
Lightbulb PPSSPP to UWP (desktop, mobile and xbox)
would like to know, is possible to port ppsspp to Universal Windows Platform?
thx!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2016, 04:17 AM
RE: PPSSPP to UWP (desktop, mobile and xbox)
It would probably be somewhat possible.... but also very pointless.

Just because an app is UWP does not make it automatically run on all 3 platforms.

PC:
Really kinda pointless, but the least amount of work needed. All it would do is place restrictions on the emulator that are not necessary since if you want other versions those can just be made as seperate versions without the need to effect windows version compatibility, features, and functionality.

Xbox one: While it is probable that PPSSPP could be made to work on an Xbox one, Microsoft would never allow an emulator to be easily distributed on their console. Without a "jailbreak" or some other way to run unauthorized code on an Xbox one this would be fairly useless.

Windows 10 Mobile: (see Windows phone) Windows phone OS is not Windows 10 (desktop). They do not run on the same types of processors and they do not have the same features (API's). There is 0 advantage in writing a program to run on both platforms besides having a single unified microsoft store entry.
09-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Some work has been done by a contributor but it's not yet in a mergable state:

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/pull/8315
09-25-2016, 01:03 AM
(09-07-2016 04:17 AM)TkSilver Wrote:  Xbox one: While it is probable that PPSSPP could be made to work on an Xbox one, Microsoft would never allow an emulator to be easily distributed on their console. Without a "jailbreak" or some other way to run unauthorized code on an Xbox one this would be fairly useless.

Windows 10 Mobile: (see Windows phone) Windows phone OS is not Windows 10 (desktop). They do not run on the same types of processors and they do not have the same features (API's). There is 0 advantage in writing a program to run on both platforms besides having a single unified microsoft store entry.

Hi TkSilver, in Mobile, part of the work is not done in android app?
And Xbox: this application was published recently in the store and console: Win64e10, because not PPSSPP? Wink
It would be very well received by the community.
09-25-2016, 02:10 AM
The core of PPSSPP is written in C++ and runs the same code on all platforms. A small percentage of the code is dedicated to "hooking up" to each platform: Android, Windows, Linux, etc.

I say small percentage, but it's still a good chunk of code on some platforms, like Windows and Android.

There are complications with the UWP platform. Most importantly, it doesn't allow us to map memory mirrors which is a thing we need to be able to do. For another, it requires using ANGLE or Direct3D 12. These problems can potentially be worked around - and some effort has been done for this - but what it needs is someone deeply interested in it (perhaps you, even) to invest large amounts of their free time into getting it done. The result may end up with worse performance and compatibility than other platforms but it's probably possible to make it work.

I'm personally unlikely to do this because I have exactly zero UWP devices (desktop, mobile, or otherwise) and am not very interested in the platform. My passion lies elsewhere.

That being said, if you do decide to get going I'll be happy to answer questions, explain what the memory mirroring is used for, things like that.

-[Unknown]
09-25-2016, 02:15 PM
I will be amazed if nesbox or win64e10 or any emulator stays up on the Xbox one platform in a permanent capacity. Given Microsofts prior opinions on emulation in general and the precident it could set for them. Apple had a few emulators in their App store... up until Apple decided to revoke them and then some people got some more in then eventually Apple revoked those. Not sure the current state for Appke either but I could see at the best this cycle being what happens on the Xbox One .

And as for the differences between android and win 10 mobile I will let the more technically inclined to answer your question with richer detail like what Unknown did.
09-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Thanks for your answers, I'm not a programmer, but otherwise gladly help the development.
Apparently there is a development post at github, we will see that they get.
thanks for the details of the limitations at UWP, not know them.
09-26-2016, 07:33 AM
+1
I'm really looking forward to the version for Win 10 UWP
09-30-2016, 08:49 AM
Knowing what UWP is and how it works, I would say it is quite useless to port it. The performance will definitely be worse, and it will have massive limitations.

Everything is Hitsuzen!