Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Regarding Mediatek SoC's
03-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Regarding Mediatek SoC's
Hello Dev, the hard work that you've put in is really commendable. Alot of games seem to be running at good speeds. But my problem is that I own a Micromax A89 with Mediatek 6577 SoC which is actually much more powerful than Xperia Play and other Xperia's of 2011 line atleast. As I see even these old single core phones are running alot of games at full speed. But on my device almost all games lag pretty badly. So please make it compatible with our SoC and I'd love to buy the Gold version as a token of respect to your hard work. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2013, 09:57 PM
RE: Regarding Mediatek SoC's
Oh it's a PowerVR. Yeah, those have a performance problem right now because PSP games like to keep alpha test enabled at all times while it's an absolute performance killer on PVR. I tried before a hack to disable it in some circumstances, got us a lot better speed but also graphics bugs. I have some new ideas on how to detect when it actually would have an effect but haven't implemented it yet.

In short, some speedups for PowerVR are coming, I don't promise a date but reasonably soon I hope.
03-26-2013, 05:26 AM
(03-25-2013 09:57 PM)Henrik Wrote:  Oh it's a PowerVR. Yeah, those have a performance problem right now because PSP games like to keep alpha test enabled at all times while it's an absolute performance killer on PVR. I tried before a hack to disable it in some circumstances, got us a lot better speed but also graphics bugs. I have some new ideas on how to detect when it actually would have an effect but haven't implemented it yet.

In short, some speedups for PowerVR are coming, I don't promise a date but reasonably soon I hope.

Ya sure. Take your time.
03-26-2013, 06:54 AM
That would mean existing problem on LG Optimus 3D. I experience slow down a bit. Patiently waiting for a fix and dual core optimization. Smile
03-26-2013, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 07:30 AM by Carter07.)
Henrik what do you think about this approach?
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...62#pid8562
03-26-2013, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2013 02:21 PM by stodag.)
thx Henrik Smile

although on certain games im alteady gettin speed if up to 75%.. allbeit frameskipp enabled.
03-26-2013, 03:16 PM
I had a reaaally bad time with Mediatek based devices. These devices tend to hide their weaknesses (not really good but still) until you try to explore the device at it's fullest, one good example is PPSSPP. Then I realised that their price is not a mystery, there is no way you can build a quality core/SOC with so little money, hence most chinese no-name devices use them. So saying it short, Mediatek is the worst thing that can happen to a smartphone. Now the fact that it's a PowerVR adds up to the issues.
04-03-2013, 05:07 AM
Hi Henrik, I've been following the development quite closely and I'm trying almost every revision. What I'd like to tell you is since v0.7-279-g72a73b5 rev the fps on my device has increased considerably. It had something to do with alpha test.But still it is alot slower. It gives around 28-35 fps with frameskip on Wipeout Pure & Pulse now. Can you please look into this matter a little more. You're definitely on the right track. Thank you.