Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Final Fantasy IV : The complete collection
01-13-2016, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2016 11:10 PM by KentuckyBass.)
RE: Final Fantasy IV : The complete collection
Hello all, been trying to play this game on my Nexus 7 2013 Tablet. Game has random frame drops that dip very low and stay like that till I pull up the emulator menu and reenter. Messed around with the settings and can conclude the games audio is the cause. After turning off sound it runs very smoothly. Why is the audio so taxing? Tested on the latest orphin build. No sound definitely ruins the experience lol.

Note: Nevermind. Frame drops still persist. Will test around some more and update if I find anything else. Just curious as to way this game lags so bad.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2016, 05:14 AM
As I recall, this game takes a screenshot of the render every frame, just in case you might pause and save. Downloading the render is fairly cheap on a specialized gaming device like a PSP that provides nearly direct access to the video card to games, but it's not so cheap on desktops and especially mobile devices.

You can disable "simulate block transfer" in the settings, and it may improve the speed. It will skip this copy, but may break some other effects in the game.

Also, there are a few places where decreasing the "spline/bezier quality" may help.

-[Unknown]
01-14-2016, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2016 12:35 PM by KentuckyBass.)
Unknown Wrote:As I recall, this game takes a screenshot of the render every frame, just in case you might pause and save. Downloading the render is fairly cheap on a specialized gaming device like a PSP that provides nearly direct access to the video card to games, but it's not so cheap on desktops and especially mobile devices.

You can disable "simulate block transfer" in the settings, and it may improve the speed. It will skip this copy, but may break some other effects in the game.

Also, there are a few places where decreasing the "spline/bezier quality" may help.

-[Unknown]

Thanks! This helped a lot to make it playable! Much appreciated!
01-14-2016, 04:44 PM
This game can be fixed by going to:

GAME SETTINGS > MORE SETTINGS

and changing "Backend" from "OpenGL" to "Direct3D9"
01-15-2016, 12:46 PM
rarepepe Wrote:This game can be fixed by going to:

GAME SETTINGS > MORE SETTINGS

and changing "Backend" from "OpenGL" to "Direct3D9"
Am playing on Android man. Don't think those options are available for us.
01-16-2016, 04:23 AM
In general, the Direct3D 9 backend for PPSSPP is in all ways worse than the OpenGL one. It has less features, less testing, and more bugs than the OpenGL backend. Direct3D 9 itself does not support many of the OpenGL features we need, so it will _never_ be on par with the OpenGL backend.

However, some video cards have poor OpenGL support. So in those cases, you'll get a better experience with Direct3D 9. This won't necessarily be true for people with different video cards. It's an issue of bad drivers usually.

If you can run OpenGL, I recommend running OpenGL.

For mobile devices, it's not relevant. Many Android devices have buggy or terrible OpenGL ES drivers, but usually this just comes at a speed penalty or buggy rendering penalty (which are more possible to workaround), but not crashes like on some buggy desktop OpenGL drivers (which are in some cases almost impossible to workaround.)

I believe AMD drivers also ship with an option that used to be called Catalyst AI, which analyzes the game you're playing and tries to do (unexplained magic) to make it better. Having this enabled pretty much always crashed PPSSPP for AMD users, but I haven't heard about the problem for a while. Maybe Catalyst AI isn't available for Direct3D 9, which might explain it being more stable on an AMD card.

-[Unknown]
02-24-2016, 10:50 PM
I'm getting an instant crash after loading the game on both Shield Tablet (original) and Shield TV. Both are running the new Marshmallow update with PPSSPP v.1.2.1 so it could be related to the OS (like graphical issue with Tekken 5/6). Does anyone have the same hardware as me test if they can load the game?
03-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Thanks for reporting, this probably was affecting many other games on Shield devices. The fix should be in a git build soon.

-[Unknown]
04-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Final Fantasy IV problem.
Final Fantasy IV was working fine before and now it's just stuck with a rotatiing crystal on the bottom right. I deleted the game config but it still is stuck loading.
04-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Merged.

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
04-07-2016, 02:59 AM
@vnctdj woops sorry about that
04-10-2016, 12:22 PM
I have tried to turn off the linear filtering by changing it to Nearest but the green block around the character still there. My spec is:
NVIDIA GEForce 740M
Intel Core i7
RAM 4GB

Anyone knows the solution? Thanks
07-25-2016, 12:06 AM
I'm having an issue using OpenGL to play the game. Game hangs on a black screen at the beginning when Cecil is going to the flashback where they obtain the crystal. I'm able to move on with it in Direct3D9 mode, but I've read that there are a few issues with it, and would like to play with OpenGL.

Windows 10 PC
i5 2500k CPU
Radeon 7970 GPU with most recent stable drivers, downloading the beta drivers to try though.
8 gigs ram.

Let me know if you need any more info, and any help you can provide would be great!
09-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Direct3D has some bugs, generally, but it won't do anything wrong if you temporarily use it.

Often updating drivers helps with things like that - *especially* on Windows 10.

People are reporting Perfect and Playable compatibility with this game in recent versions:

http://report.ppsspp.org/game/NPJH50414_1.01
http://report.ppsspp.org/game/ULUS10560_1.00

As such, moving to Playable.

-[Unknown]
10-31-2016, 10:19 PM
RE: Final Fantasy II
Hello all, first time post here, I registered especially for that.

I'm having some problem with Final Fantasy II and Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection.
In FF2 if I enter into some villages, the emu crashes, I'm getting a black screen, my video driver is then not responding before recovering.
In FFIV the same is happening in some areas (at the last level of After Years for example).

I'm having the issue only while using OpenGL backend. Sadly D3D backend comes with some problems as well : 4xGSLS seems not working, heavy lag, sound is crackling, sometimes sprites are upscaled sometimes not (pixels appearing), and some FX doesn't show, for example in the town of Gatrea (FF2) the transparent clouds are not showing, while the animation is weird like the character is moving choppy. If I try to enter this town with OpenGL Backend then it is crash + videos drivers not responding...

The issue came after AMD issued their Crimsons Drivers.

PPSSPP is an awesome application, huge thanks for providing it, I just hope I'll be able to use it again after some fixes.

My rig is Win 7 x64 with 2 Radeon R9 200, 16 Go ram