Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Will ppsspp damage my computer?
06-24-2016, 04:27 PM
Will ppsspp damage my computer?
**I am a complete computer idiot**

I have been playing god eater 2 on ppsspp for 3 days. In these 3 days, it worked incredibly smooth.

However, on the 3rd day evening, all of a sudden, the game started to lag quite a bit (when I was making bullet in the game). I closed ppsspp and tried to browse some flash webpage. Those lag quite a bit too.

So I though I used ppsspp for too long (>4hrs?) and the computer overheated a bit. Then I turn off my computer and did not touch it for >20hrs.

However when I turn it on again, both ppsspp and flash web pages are still lagging...

I think I may have damaged my CPU or somthing...

Some detail about my ppsspp:
1. I used Motionjoy to connect my ps3 controller
2. My ISO was downloaded from the internet
3. When I opened my game, it was on 30fps/100%speed(smooth), but drops to 13-14fps/60%speed in 5mins.
4. I have tried many settings suggested in this forum, some made it worse, but none made it better...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2016, 07:56 PM
RE: Will ppsspp damage my computer?
So .... unless you already had some fairly severe issues with you cooling systems on your computer, or you built it yourself and did not properly provide cooling to the system, then you probably did not damage your cpu or gpu by running an emulator.

If you are using a mechanical harddrive then I would do an error check on it and a defragment.

I would run a good (read not the built in windows) antivirus, since if you steal your psp iso's odds are you go to sites that could have infected your system.

I would check task manager and see where your performance is going and see if there is not something odd going on with your system.

All of those things are far more likely causes of sudden performance loss then using an emulator for 4 hours and cooking your cpu.
06-25-2016, 01:29 AM
(06-24-2016 07:56 PM)TkSilver Wrote:  So .... unless you already had some fairly severe issues with you cooling systems on your computer, or you built it yourself and did not properly provide cooling to the system, then you probably did not damage your cpu or gpu by running an emulator.

If you are using a mechanical harddrive then I would do an error check on it and a defragment.

I would run a good (read not the built in windows) antivirus, since if you steal your psp iso's odds are you go to sites that could have infected your system.

I would check task manager and see where your performance is going and see if there is not something odd going on with your system.

All of those things are far more likely causes of sudden performance loss then using an emulator for 4 hours and cooking your cpu.

Thanks so much... I did not actually expect a reply ;D. So I am planning to execute all the advice you gave me.

But before that...

I did suspect my cooling system but I was not sure.

So I used Core Temp to monitor my cpus. When I start up my computer, it was ~5-60oC. When I run ppsspp, it gradually rised to 7-80oC (in 5 mins?).

I did not hear a clear fan turning sound even if I pulled my ears really close. But I really can't tell if the fan fails because I don't usually hear that sound in the past.

Now my left keyboard (heat depose(?) is on the left of my laptop) is obviously hotter than the right. But again I am not sure if I am being too sensitive today. Maybe it is always like this but I didn't pay attention.

Lastly when the focus is on ppsspp or the flash webpages, my cpu usage suddenly
rise to 7-90%... My other newer laptop has 3-40% on the same flash web pages. I don't have ppsspp on that one.

So... can I determine my cooling system failure from these symptoms?
06-25-2016, 02:46 AM
By the fact it's summer and every summer someone has the same problem I would guess you just never cleaned your pc/laptop inside?

Well in that case solution is simple - buy yourself a can of compressed air, prepare a vacuum cleaner or go outside and blow the air inside your laptop case. If you never did it, you should see a terrible cloud made of dead skin particles and other crap aka dust which is a reason why you have to clean any device with active cooling based on air at least once a year, prefferably more often. If you don't do that dust covers or even completely fills space between radiator fins which stops it from being able to move the heat away and that causes your laptop to decrease it's performance as it's last weapon against heat before it has to completely shut down.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
06-25-2016, 04:09 AM
(06-25-2016 02:46 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  By the fact it's summer and every summer someone has the same problem I would guess you just never cleaned your pc/laptop inside?

Well in that case solution is simple - buy yourself a can of compressed air, prepare a vacuum cleaner or go outside and blow the air inside your laptop case. If you never did it, you should see a terrible cloud made of dead skin particles and other crap aka dust which is a reason why you have to clean any device with active cooling based on air at least once a year, prefferably more often. If you don't do that dust covers or even completely fills space between radiator fins which stops it from being able to move the heat away and that causes your laptop to decrease it's performance as it's last weapon against heat before it has to completely shut down.

Yeah... I have never done that. I will check how to do it. Thanks for replying....