Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
optimize ram usage
03-17-2013, 04:23 PM
RE: optimize ram usage
Masato: you can download Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 for Desktop (you'll probably also need Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 though.) This would allow you to compile. You'll also need to download and install the DirectX SDK. Luckily these things are all free.

With that, you can open the Windows/PPSSPP.sln file, and select "Debug" and run. It'll be a lot slower, and the log file will be huge, but it'll give a lot more information too.

xsacha: I don't know about all mobile devices, but anything running Linux and desktops should use memory committing. For example, even though we allocate 8MB for kernel ram (which is used only for savedata icons iirc), most of that is never used, and so it is never committed and takes nothing but address space (it is essentially free.) Depending on the tool, it won't even be counted (which is correct.)

Same with the jit cache, it's probably only reporting the committed pages.

Reading/writing memory still isn't free, though. For example, we could keep full doubles of all textures (to detect changes) - which would fix a bunch of texture bugs - but this would also make it a lot slower. More ram doesn't always equal more faster.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2013, 04:23 PM
We do use those megs of "kernel mem" for storing the font and a few other things Smile Yes, we could shave a few megs of RAM, but this question is asking to *increase* RAM usage to increase performance, and I don't see any sensible way right now.
03-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Ok so i wont have any problems running games on my xperia ray. I tried Dirt 2 but it was very slow, the same was with F1 2009.
03-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Just checked the size of the files needed to compile a Debug Build and they are so big... I'll try to download on a friend's home and try to get the logs at least until wednesday.
03-18-2013, 07:50 AM
(03-17-2013 07:17 PM)acceleron Wrote:  Ok so i wont have any problems running games on my xperia ray. I tried Dirt 2 but it was very slow, the same was with F1 2009.

I didn't say that, your device may have too slow a CPU for example, and then having enough RAM doesn't help and your only choice is to wait for future faster versions of PPSSPP.
03-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Thats what im counting on. The CPU is Qualcomm Snapdragon running on 1gHZ. The ram is 320mb.
03-25-2013, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2013 08:27 AM by skyfor.)
i think big size file game will run faster on android...ex:im play wipeout which have 200+ mb it runs very slow 10-15 fps also soulcalibur 300+ mb 20-25 fps ....but when im play dissidia which have 1.6 gb it run faster 40-60 fps...also play lord of arcana(the fastest game on android) 700+ mb run 55-60 fps...
so play big size file game is better on android Big Grin
03-25-2013, 09:39 AM
The size of the game has absolutely nothing to do with the frame rate. What matters is how much work the game is doing and how many and how big polygons it sends to the GPU, and how advanced lighting it uses, etc etc...