Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Is it possible to port ps2 emulator to idevices and android????
10-29-2014, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 01:49 PM by fivefeet8.)
RE: Is it possible to port ps2 emulator to idevices and android????
(10-29-2014 07:37 AM)Haseeb Wrote:  @fivefeet8 , technically "Complex emulator" isn't the case. An emulator is a software , there are common languages such as C# , C++ , Java etc to write them , I'm learning C#.
PCSX2's code is huge mess now for a reason , you won't find as huge codes for a NES or Sega Genesis emulator. Dolphin and PCSX2 emulates a lot more complex console (gamecube,wii and ps2) ,
Try to look over the internet , there are a few other attempts to make PS2 emulators , why they aren't successful? Cause' they aren't as efficient as PCSX2 , they aren't as fast. PCSX2 is the simplest PS2 emulator + most developed ps2 emulator yet.
If its still complex then believe me , making an emulator from scratch would just be like to build up a new PCSX2 , so porting is the best option.
PSX2 runs on both x86 and x64 platforms , I don't think android can't handle it.

If the codebase for PCSX2 is so simple, why did the Dolphin emulator authors decline to work on it? PCSX2 code is not as simple as you seem to think it is. I've done C/C++ programming and you can do things that make the code hard to port or read even for the simplest programs. I think "complex" is a very imprecise word to use here anyways.

PCSX2 is fast because it has a lot of speed hacks(even per game), especially in the GPU plugins. Efficiency should also account not only for the speed but the state of the codebase as well. And in this regard, it's not quite as "efficient" as you seem to think it is. Not to take anything away from the PCSX2 authors as I think it's amazing what they've been able to do with it, but even they agree the codebase needs a lot of work before it can be ported to anything other than x86/x64.

Here's are a few quotes from the Dolphin emulator authors on the current state of PCSX2 codebase:

crap code. Yeah, i know someone has to fix it, or nothing will change, but well, it's just too much for me. I'm not interested in rewriting half the codebase to clean it up. I wouldn't even mind doing a ton of work on it, but only if others showed interest in helping. If no one else cares about the quality of the code, then why would i do that work?
Devs don't seem to care about accuracy. Game specific hacks are absolutely disgusting to me. I realize that hacks can be valuable early on, just to get things running, and you can take care of them later when you better understand how things work, or when cpus have advanced so performance isn't such a big deal, or after you've taken care of more important things. But that time has past. Pcsx2 now kind of sort of runs most games. The goal now should be to improve accuracy, and remove these hacks, that might have been useful in the past, but now are simply causing problems, and replace them with proper solutions. Games mostly "work" now, so it's time to make them work properly without (major) bugs. -RachelB

Technical problems like your codebase being terrible in many ways (no, I'm not going to install a 32 bit chroot on my system just to be able to run PCSX2) -delroth
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it possible to port ps2 emulator to idevices and android???? - fivefeet8 - 10-29-2014 01:43 PM