Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Unchained Blades
11-04-2014, 01:23 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 01:25 AM by Kolrath.)
RE: Unchained Blades
(11-03-2014 08:36 PM)kebeninthewoods Wrote:  Thanks for replying!

Yes, it is on the Temple of Trials.

● v0.9.9.1
● So far, it's the only crash I've had in the game. I have another game, Generation of Chaos, and no crashes on that one.
● It always happens on that section only.
● I'm using the actual save feature. I'm not really sure how to use the save state.

Thanks for the info.

I haven't really tested Unchained Blades much on the stable 9.9.1 release. I've been using the development builds available on the buildbot.

I'd say go to http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/ (don't worry its the official location not somewhere shady) and try one of these builds out. These are the development builds so they are "between" versions so they may or may not work in some ways, but they have the latest implemented features which often fix a lot of issues with things.

There shouldn't really me anything fancy in that particular room that would cause a crash, but you could also try lowering your settings drastically and seeing if that allows you to get past that area.

Did you get any kind of error message or anything during / after this crash or did it simply exit out?

I've only used PPSSPP on a PC and not a phone so I'm not sure how you'd go about seeing any error messages that PPSSPP might be giving you before or during the crash. If you could get one then someone who actually knows some stuff, unlike me, might be able to give you more assistance.

Good job on using the games actual saving feature by the way. A lot of times in games people just rely on Save States and that can cause all kinds of problems in the long run.

I have no idea if / how Save States work at all when running PPSSPP from a phone but heres some Save State information in regards to using PPSSPP on a PC.

A brief rundown on what a save state is...

It essentially takes everything thats going on in the emulator at that exact moment and dumps it into a file. You can then load it up later. Since you can do it literally anywhere in a game a lot of people use them as a way to "save" their game whereever they want instead of using a games actual save feature.

The problem with save states is that the aren't always stable between sessions, sometimes even the same session, and they are never a good idea to use between two different versions of the emulator.

Another major problem with relying on them is because of the fact that they literally dump everything thats going on in the emulator at that moment. So for instance if you did something that bugged out the game and prevented you from doing something... and you use a save state... it will also be saving your "bugged out" state along with it.

Whenever possible its always best to use the games actual saving feature. Save States can be handy for all kinds of things though and I generally use both when playing or testing things.

PPSSPP has 5 Save State slots that you can save into. You can use them while running a game by either from the ESC menu or via hotkeys.

ESC Menu
Just hit ESC and you will see 1,2,3,4,5 on the screen and below them a button for Save State or Load State. You simply select a slot and then choose if you want to save into that slot or load from that slot.

Keyboard Hotkeys
F2 - Saves the current state into the currently selected slot
F3 - Cycles through the 5 slots
F4 - Loads from the currently selected slot
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2014, 06:19 AM
One more thing just occured to me regarding your crashing issue...

How long ago did you get PPSSPP?

I ask because I just now noticed this news posting on the PPSSPP Official Site...

August 25-28, 2014: Zenfone Trouble (Solved)
I have been made aware that 0.9.9.1 crashed hard on Zenfone devices. A fix has been pushed, please redownload or allow your Android version of PPSSPP to upgrade.

I had completely overlooked it in the past, but you having your Zenfone issues made it seem relevant.
11-04-2014, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 04:17 PM by kebeninthewoods.)
Thank you, again. I'm checking the site now. How should I lower the settings? I'm not sure what things to tweak.

With regards to error messages, there are none. It just says 'Unfortunately, PPSSPP has stopped.'

I just downloaded this last Friday so it's really pretty recent and the version here on my phone is updated.
11-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Can you try an older version? It will have less features, speed, and compatibility in general, but it may not crash.

If so, it would be super helpful if you could try to find which change made it stop working. It takes a bit of time but not nearly as long as you'd think, should be over quick. Here's how you do it:

Go here and get the oldest build you can find (leftmost column is Android):
http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/index.php?m=fulllist

Hopefully, that one works. If it doesn't, maybe try a newer one halfway up the page or something. If that still doesn't work we might be sunk.

Once you find one that does work, the trick is to go halfway between the one that doesn't work (v0.9.9.1-1-gec129c3, about 1/3 down the page right now) and the one that does work (end of the page or where ever you found one.) Once you try the one in the middle, if it doesn't work, you go halfway down... and if it does work, you go halfway up.

Doing it this way, you'll end up trying maybe 10-15 different builds. Doing this will narrow down the problem from thousands of possible causes to just a few. Even if you only tried 5 builds, it'd already be down to hundreds or maybe even less.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Zenfone, so my best bet trying to fix it is looking at the sea of thousands of possible causes and trying to guess. But if you narrow it down, you'll find the needle in the haystack - because you have a magnet, and I don't.

With that information, we can hopefully fix it in the latest versions.

-[Unknown]
11-05-2014, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2014 02:18 PM by kebeninthewoods.)
Quote:Can you try an older version? It will have less features, speed, and compatibility in general, but it may not crash.

If so, it would be super helpful if you could try to find which change made it stop working. It takes a bit of time but not nearly as long as you'd think, should be over quick. Here's how you do it:

Go here and get the oldest build you can find (leftmost column is Android)

Hopefully, that one works. If it doesn't, maybe try a newer one halfway up the page or something. If that still doesn't work we might be sunk.

Once you find one that does work, the trick is to go halfway between the one that doesn't work (v0.9.9.1-1-gec129c3, about 1/3 down the page right now) and the one that does work (end of the page or where ever you found one.) Once you try the one in the middle, if it doesn't work, you go halfway down... and if it does work, you go halfway up.

Doing it this way, you'll end up trying maybe 10-15 different builds. Doing this will narrow down the problem from thousands of possible causes to just a few. Even if you only tried 5 builds, it'd already be down to hundreds or maybe even less.

]Unfortunately, I don't have a Zenfone, so my best bet trying to fix it is looking at the sea of thousands of possible causes and trying to guess. But if you narrow it down, you'll find the needle in the haystack - because you have a magnet, and I don't.

With that information, we can hopefully fix it in the latest versions.

-[Unknown]

Thank you for your help!

I've tried versions 9.9.1 - 717 until 9.9.1 - 756 for android but every one of them carshed upon start-up. Am I doing it right? OTL
11-05-2014, 04:21 PM
No, try a way older one. You don't need to try each one. Try like v0.9.7-39-gf02ea25 (not even v0.9.9+) - if that works, we have a starting point.

I'm pretty sure anything that starts with v0.9.9.1 will not work for you... 717, 500, 756, doesn't matter.

-[Unknown]
11-30-2014, 06:15 AM
(11-05-2014 04:21 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  No, try a way older one. You don't need to try each one. Try like v0.9.7-39-gf02ea25 (not even v0.9.9+) - if that works, we have a starting point.

I'm pretty sure anything that starts with v0.9.9.1 will not work for you... 717, 500, 756, doesn't matter.

-[Unknown]

I apologize for this late reply. I'm still using the latest version of PPSSPP, and up until yesterday, I was able to play that part of the game and got until the 3F of Titan Darius. I opened the game earlier again and tried to go back to 1F but now that's where the app crashes.
11-30-2014, 06:24 AM
Hmm, I thought we had fixed the Zenfone crashes in the latest git builds.

Are you using savestates or real ingame saves?

-[Unknown]
11-30-2014, 08:07 PM
I could beat this game with earlier ver. 9.8~ at android & windows. Sometimes crashed after the boss battle, turned off fast mem fixed it. If it still crashed, I had to copy the save to windows ver. to pass through it.
05-02-2016, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2016 11:57 PM by vork88.)
OK I notice textures are mess up and need to be fix any idea i am using latest version i downloaded a few days ago

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-03-2016, 02:37 AM
Vork88
Are you using linear filtering, that looks like the same kind of text issues that sometimes occur when using linear filtering over nearest?
05-03-2016, 06:03 PM
(05-03-2016 02:37 AM)TkSilver Wrote:  Vork88
Are you using linear filtering, that looks like the same kind of text issues that sometimes occur when using linear filtering over nearest?
I have Texture filter set to auto and Screen scaling to Linear
06-23-2016, 11:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2016 11:35 PM by SSJ Rabite.)
[attachment=15122]I have seem to have come across a problem isolated to this game.

While everything else works fine texts in menus tend to disappear, like this

06-25-2016, 02:31 PM
What device is this on? Try disabling the vertex cache.

-[Unknown]
06-25-2016, 02:44 PM
(06-25-2016 02:31 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  What device is this on? Try disabling the vertex cache.

-[Unknown]

On PC using version 1.2.2.

Disabling Vertex Cache doens't help.