Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Strange problem ?
02-15-2016, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2016 08:14 PM by vnctdj.)
Strange problem ?
So, I have been playing Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection with this excellent emulator for about a week with no problems whatsoever. Then, while the game was up and running, I dropped the Nvidia Shield Tablet I was running it on. When I tried to run the game later, there were glitches in the opening, a bunch of sprites missing (the airship, Baron castle but not the town, etc.), and the menu didn't render correctly (just some dim outlines of some of the letters on a black background).

I tried deleting the game image and loading a fresh copy, and now the game wont even load ("Unfortunately, PPSSPP has stopped."). I have tried reinstalling ppsspp (including deleting the game files for a fresh install). Every other game still works perfectly, so there is no hardware problem.

Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2016, 02:36 PM
RE: Final Fantasy IV : The complete collection
Merged.

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
02-16-2016, 03:59 AM
Try deleting any install data you might have, try updating to the latest version of PPSSPP. Most importantly, try resetting to default settings - maybe it somehow pressed the right buttons to change a setting when you dropped it?

-[Unknown]
02-16-2016, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2016 07:00 AM by GinaSzanboti.)
(02-15-2016 02:36 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  Merged.

This should not have been merged with this thread. If you read the post this has nothing to do with the specific game. The game worked perfectly and then suddenly stopped working after I dropped the device. It still didn't ork after I replaced the game file and reinstalled. This has something to do with ppsspp (or possibly the Shield) retaining some data about the game after a fresh install. Please either undo or merge with another appropriate thread.

(02-16-2016 03:59 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Try deleting any install data you might have, try updating to the latest version of PPSSPP. Most importantly, try resetting to default settings - maybe it somehow pressed the right buttons to change a setting when you dropped it?

-[Unknown]

Is there install data for ppsspp other than what's deleted when android asks you to delete associated folders during uninstall? I have already uninstalled and made a fresh install, and I'm using the same version of ppsspp and the game image that worked before I dropped the device. I had to recheck all the settings when I reinstalled.
02-16-2016, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2016 08:17 PM by vnctdj.)
Let's re-read then :

(02-15-2016 12:57 PM)GinaSzanboti Wrote:  So, I have been playing Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection with this excellent emulator for about a week with no problems whatsoever. Then, while the game was up and running, I dropped the Nvidia Shield Tablet I was running it on. When I tried to run the game later, there were glitches in the opening, a bunch of sprites missing (the airship, Baron castle but not the town, etc.), and the menu didn't render correctly (just some dim outlines of some of the letters on a black background).

I tried deleting the game image and loading a fresh copy, and now the game wont even load ("Unfortunately, PPSSPP has stopped."). I have tried reinstalling ppsspp (including deleting the game files for a fresh install). Every other game still works perfectly, so there is no hardware problem.

Any ideas?

Your thread was named "Odd problem with one game".
You spoke about this game during all your message.
You even said "Every other game still works perfectly".

So, only the first sentence was relevant ?
I think you should change something in your message next time Wink

Anyway, did you make sure you hadn't some "game config" for this game ?

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
02-19-2016, 02:14 PM
RE: Strange problem ?
(02-16-2016 08:11 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  Let's re-read then :

(02-15-2016 12:57 PM)GinaSzanboti Wrote:  So, I have been playing Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection with this excellent emulator for about a week with no problems whatsoever. Then, while the game was up and running, I dropped the Nvidia Shield Tablet I was running it on. When I tried to run the game later, there were glitches in the opening, a bunch of sprites missing (the airship, Baron castle but not the town, etc.), and the menu didn't render correctly (just some dim outlines of some of the letters on a black background).

Any ideas?

Your thread was named "Odd problem with one game".
You spoke about this game during all your message.
You even said "Every other game still works perfectly".

So, only the first sentence was relevant ?
I think you should change something in your message next time Wink

Anyway, did you make sure you hadn't some "game config" for this game ?

I didn't check the game config at first, but while I was screwing with the settings trying to get it to work I created and deleted a game config file. Anyway, I would expect that file would be deleted with a fresh install. Does anyone know if game config or any other ppsspp or android system files are used by ppsspp but not deleted by the delete associated folders option on uninstall? The game would boot with odd glitches after I dropped the device, which makes me think corrupted file. All other games still work perfectly, so I'm thinking android and ppsspp itself are fine. Reinstalling the software and replacing the game file with a fresh copy didn't fix it, so I'm thinking that either android or ppsspp is retaining some element of the previous data, some kind of index file/undeleted memory/temporary cache, that isn't in the ppsspp folder of the game image itself.