Star Ocean: First Departure
12-19-2013, 09:13 PM
RE: Star Ocean: First Departure
Thanks for the reply!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Leave it to me to pick out all of the games that have issues lol. My first try with PPSSPP was with Castlevania Dracula X trying to get SoTN to work now Star Ocean lol.

At least its playable. I don't mind having to adjust hit alt-tab every time I enter town.
01-01-2014, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2014 03:20 PM by AMReese.)
My game crashes for the Windows PPSSPP when I go to battle for the first time in the past. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I could fight just fine in the beginning of the game, but once I'm alone with Ilya and I leave the town, the first time I get a battle it gives me a black screen.

I'm using v0.9.6-250-g965d189.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, I did load directly from the game instead of a save state, and that still didn't work. It does work when I go back to 0.9.1, but there's no music, so there's no point.
01-01-2014, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 01:09 AM by necrotek.)
I'm playing the game with ppsspp-v0.9.6-241-g079d9c0-windows-x86 pretty fine so far (undub version, like I did for VP) but I start getting crashes (not freezes or black screens, the emu just closes) after battles when I reached Van continent, quite often, and I hardly have any before this moment. And it always crashes when I exit the game by clicking "exit to menu". To be sure that it wasn't caused by undub, I'll check original version. If I find any difference, I'll update this post.

Upd: nope, original version has the same crashes.

Upd2: after more testing, I found out that the game crashes when it loads world map. So it seems after-battles crashes aren't caused by battles itself but by loading world after that. The easiest way to catch a crash - enter and exit a city many times (sometimes it happens quickly, sometimes it takes times). I attached my saves for testing, just load the latest one and go forth and back between city and world map.

Upd3: finished the game. So, the only big issue is those crashes on world map. For some reason, I didn't get them on Muah and Astral continents but have quite a lot on Van and Sylvarant ones.

Attached File(s)
.zip  SAVEDATA.zip (Size: 798.73 KB / Downloads: 359)
02-02-2014, 01:54 PM
The newest devbuild (v0.9.6-722-gfaf6f95) won't even load Star Ocean First Departure.
02-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Check your iso and settings, loads fine for me.

-[Unknown]
02-02-2014, 03:05 PM
(02-02-2014 02:48 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Check your iso and settings, loads fine for me.

-[Unknown]

For some reason, it wasn't loading properly and I had to hold in F8 because it kept wanting to pause. After I loaded state, it started working normally again.
02-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Using 0.9.6-566, I played through the entire game without a single crash (maybe it's because I disabled FastMem). Aside from the weird layering issue in regards to location maps and sprites(which, for some reason, doesn't affect Second Evolution, even though they're supposedly run on the same engine, though unlike this game, you need buffered rendering enabled), the game runs fine.

Video chipset: AMD Radeon HD 8400
Processor: AMD A6 5200 2.0Ghz quad core.
02-02-2014, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2014 03:18 PM by AMReese.)
When I get into a battle, it shows the effect for going in, but then it shows a black screen. If I want to load state, I have to pause and then resume the emulation. The same method can't be used to make the battle commence, though.

(02-02-2014 03:10 PM)Hiruko Wrote:  Using 0.9.6-566, I played through the entire game without a single crash (maybe it's because I disabled FastMem). Aside from the weird layering issue in regards to location maps and sprites(which, for some reason, doesn't affect Second Evolution, even though they're supposedly run on the same engine, though unlike this game, you need buffered rendering enabled), the game runs fine.

I tried it using 0.9.6-566, but it didn't work, either. Is it just a bad ISO, or what?
02-02-2014, 04:26 PM
It could be, though just to be sure, which system settings do you have enabled/disabled? I only used I/0 thread and everything else is either off or 0. Graphics are set to no buffered rendering, prevent fps from exceeding 60, hardware transform, vertex cache, and software skinning set to on. All other filters/settings are disabled.

Video chipset: AMD Radeon HD 8400
Processor: AMD A6 5200 2.0Ghz quad core.
02-02-2014, 04:30 PM
(02-02-2014 04:26 PM)Hiruko Wrote:  It could be, though just to be sure, which system settings do you have enabled/disabled? I only used I/0 thread and everything else is either off or 0. Graphics are set to no buffered rendering, prevent fps from exceeding 60, hardware transform, vertex cache, and software skinning set to on. All other filters/settings are disabled.

I did all that, and it still won't give me a battle screen. To be clear, battles were working before I was sent back in time.
02-09-2014, 06:05 AM
(12-19-2013 09:31 AM)Henrik Wrote:  The game writes to the stencil buffer using the CPU. In OpenGL ES, it's not possible to directly upload a stencil buffer to the GPU so we can't emulate it directly. However, I'm in the process of adding a function hooking mechanism so that we can add game specific workarounds for things like this, and I think it will be possible to fake it well enough with some special code.

The alternative is to use the software renderer but it's just too slow for practical gameplay currently.

Any updates on this?
02-12-2014, 04:21 AM
~~> can i ask? how is speed on android? is it full speed?
thank you!

if you value your life, Do not talk to me.. Or you will DiE !

I am a bad person.

shiiishiii //^_^/\
02-16-2014, 04:19 PM
(02-09-2014 06:05 AM)Athelias Wrote:  
(12-19-2013 09:31 AM)Henrik Wrote:  The game writes to the stencil buffer using the CPU. In OpenGL ES, it's not possible to directly upload a stencil buffer to the GPU so we can't emulate it directly. However, I'm in the process of adding a function hooking mechanism so that we can add game specific workarounds for things like this, and I think it will be possible to fake it well enough with some special code.

The alternative is to use the software renderer but it's just too slow for practical gameplay currently.

Any updates on this?

Still waiting for an update on this, seeing how v0.9.7.1 still has the problem.. Huh
02-23-2014, 06:11 AM
(11-16-2013 10:21 AM)MasterBlade007 Wrote:  Hello! I have this issue too. After some mucking about, I've come to the conclusion that any black screen issues involve a glitch with dialogue boxes. The initial black screen after the into video is avoidable by making a mad dash to the exit before it darkens. However, after that point any closed dialogue boxes, be it from item gets or npc chat, causes the screen to go black everywhere but where the dialogue box had closed (What you described as the "little bar of screen visible").

http://i.imgur.com/SQ838xQ.png
http://i.imgur.com/uddx8Xj.png

Any progress on this? I too am suffering from this.